Lyft vs. Uber

ManOfTroy

I was talking with a group of people earlier this week who are regular users and was hearing a lot of negatives about Uber. There are the obvious public relations nightmares in the news but also some mentioned that they liked Lyft drivers better and that they treat their drivers better. Does anyone use both? What do you think?

On a side note, I was in downtown Cincinnati one night this week and drove by The Banks and noticed that these companies are taking over. There were 10 cars with flashers on waiting to pick up and 1 taxi. It seems to be taking over with the "younger" (20's and 30's) crowd.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not really seen much of any difference in the two...and I use them with a fair amount of frequency. I've actually found that, at least in Louisville and Greater Cincinnati, most Lyft drivers are also Uber drivers, though not necessarily vice versa.

Have you noticed a difference in pricing, especially for peak times? I only have used Uber, but may download Lyft for the times when the Uber prices are not good if it is worth it.

I use Uber on occasion, normally out of town. I was out with my 2 millennials last weekend and this discussion came up. They tend to think Lyft is normally cheaper. I preferred Uber in the past since they didn’t accept tips and that gave them the pricing advantage. Now that they do accept tips, there is not much of a difference.

I spoke to a driver who was sporting both banners. He said Lyft is better. They pay them a higher %. He also said the background check, home visit and other things they do to make sure the driver is qualified is much more intense than Uber.

I’ve never used Lyft. No reason, just haven’t. I do use Uber when traveling for work. And it’s always been a good experience...until my last trip a couple weeks ago. 4 Uber rides, and 3 has issues. First, my Uber driver here took two a wrong turn going to the airport. Then an Uber driver in Palm Beach was rude and had issues using the app and also took wrong turns. Finally, the driver that took me home from the airport drive an old Dodge Neon that had very loud and obvious brake problems, and I was holding my breath every time we had to stop. It was really strange that in roughly 30 rides I had never had a problem and then suddenly I had problems in 3 rides in two days. Definitely going to give Lyft a shot next time I travel.

Only problem I've ever had with Uber was a driver who couldn't figure out where to drop me off. When I went up to Columbus for the OSU/ OU I parked in an overnight garage and stayed at my buddy's house. I had the Uber pick me up at his house the next morning and the garage was like a 2 miles down High Street and the guy could not figure it out for the life of him. I was giving him directions and he kept following the app which had use driving in circles. He let out a few F bombs too which I thought was unprofessional. I've probably taken 50 Uber rides and another 20 Lyft rides and this was the only bad experience.

I use both but would say I use Lyft more often. Until recently Lyft allowed you to tip within the app as you could only tip cash with Uber. I believe Uber has now changed that. Overall I don't think there are many differences between the two. They both "surge" price when they know it will be a busy event.

I was talking with a group of people earlier this week who are regular users and was hearing a lot of negatives about Uber. There are the obvious public relations nightmares in the news but also some mentioned that they liked Lyft drivers better and that they treat their drivers better. Does anyone use both? What do you think?

On a side note, I was in downtown Cincinnati one night this week and drove by The Banks and noticed that these companies are taking over. There were 10 cars with flashers on waiting to pick up and 1 taxi. It seems to be taking over with the "younger" (20's and 30's) crowd.

They are indeed taking over, and where taxis have traditionally pulled over to pickup or drop off, the new and annoying normal is that these drivers stop in the middle of the road, and motorists have to wait for carloads of folks to jump out or hop in.

The rules of the road are in place for a distinct reason; safety and flow, and both here are disrupted, and just like folks paying no attention to where they're walking while texting, or folks texting and driving, or party goers at the Banks J-walking like nobody's business, we've got a new annoyance that seems to be quickly becoming par for the course "Like sure, why not"?.

I think this service is a great and convenient thing, but what is wrong with it needs to be analyzed and corrected. Drop off spots need to be established and enforced, and traffic disruption needs to be discouraged.

Technology has helped to create a very cool and convenient service, but the byproduct of road anarchy like the kids are throwing a house party 'cause the parents are out-of-town crap needs to stop.

Honestly, What the hell?

To be honest I don't know.

Same for me. I’ve only done Lyft one weekend where every ride was $5.00 off due to a code left by the airbnb owner.

For the record Ive only not given a driver a 5* one time. He got a 1. Yelled at me since his App couldn’t find the street I was standing on. He didn’t bother to call me to ask. It was just crappy cell reception.