BGP QOTD: What's your "I can't believe I'm actually witnessing this" moment?

Colonels_Wear_Blue

The wildest, craziest, or most amazing thing you've ever seen...

I'm assuming you mean seeing it firsthand, and not on TV, right? Otherwise I'd say watching the second plane hit the twin towers in real time is easily number one for me, and everything else is a distant, distant second.

I'm assuming you mean seeing it firsthand, and not on TV, right? Otherwise I'd say watching the second plane hit the twin towers in real time is easily number one for me, and everything else is a distant, distant second.

If on TV counts, this is absolutely at the top of my list as well. That whole day was surreal.

Firsthand certainly seems more interesting to me...but whatever suits your fancy.

I have accidentally witnessed several things that should never happen to a poor farm tenant family kid from Indiana. My travel friend and I were in London for the second time and had never done the Tower of London. One morning, we decided today is the day and set off with VIP passes in hand.

We noted large crowds forming as we neared the Tower after leaving the Tube, but proceeded to our gate to exchange tickets. The atmosphere was very paradelike with excitement and vendors and people everywhere lining the streets. We were advised at our gate that we would be allowed to enter and use our VIP passes as soon as the Queen left the area as she was dedicating the new crown jewel exhibit. We were told to return to the gate in 2 hours. We watched as the royal family all arrived along with other dignitaries and at the appointed time returned to our gate. We were informed the queen had not left the ceremony yet, but we could sit on the bridge that crossed the moat to the Tower. This bridge could pass one car while leaving enough room for a bench to sit on. We sat, enjoying the pageantry and the scene when the Queen's car appeared on our bridge with Queen and Prince Phillip waving straight at us from 2 feet away. We then mingled the next 2 hours with whomever stayed after the Queen left as we were immediately admitted to the grounds by a beefeater in full regalia.

When I was right out of high school I watched a car blow through a redlight and hit a metal lightpost. After hitting the post the car was still at full throttle and burning rubber. Turned out that the guy had a heart attack and his foot was stuck on the accelerator. Had to bust a window out of his Ford Explorer to get to the ignition shut off while waiting on the paramedics that other witnesses had called. The paramedics arrived quickly and I learned a few days later that he had survived, so all ended well. It was a crazy experience though and I'll never forget it, the melted rubber coming off from the tires were all over my hooded sweatshirt as well as the soft top of my Jeep Wrangler.

When I went to The Banshee my freshman year at WKU (do they still do this party on the grand scale they used to?)

Anyway, it was pouring down rain, so we all packed into some big building there at Beech Bend. Hot, humid, sticky, condensation coming from the rooftop. I glance over and see this guy, butt-naked, on all fours on this big table-top looking thing. The six guys carrying him were all also butt-naked. Saw my first-ever nude beer slides that night as well, with several people coming back with nasty splinters for their silliness.

At one point, I looked up to the rafters and saw this guy who lived on our floor at PFT. He and a bunch of others had climbed the rafters to get away from the crowd a bit.

The next morning, me and several others hear this horrible moaning around the corner of the hall in the dorm. Turns out it was our floormate. He was in writhing pain because he had fallen from the rafters at some point and destroyed his ankle. He was so drunk/stoned/tripping/whatever that he didn't feel it when it happened, but he sure did the next morning.