Doss 52 Highlands 32

mcpapa

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember back in Highlands' heyday many posts by their fans explaining why Johnson Central would never be competitive unless they platooned like Highlands did and copy the 'Birds balanced offense. Now that Highlands no longer enjoys the depth that they once had, I am enjoying the posts by Highlands fans complaining that their coach has not been playing their best athletes both ways.

It is enough to make a Johnson Central fan wonder what might have happened to the Golden Eagle's program if Jim Matney had followed the advice to go to a strict platoon system, without regard to depth, and scrapped his offense.

Highlands has over 90 kids on their roster they have plenty of depth.

Highlands has over 90 kids on their roster they have plenty of depth.

It depends on the talent level / spread of the 90 kids. Platooning works optimally when there is a small difference in talent among the top 20-30 kids. If there is not a steep drop off, there are huge advantages from both a conditioning and practice / concentration / specialization standpoint to support platooning. It appears the drop off was pretty steep after the top 15 or so at HHS this year. As such, with this group it may have made sense to have some of those top 15 athletes playing both ways.

Also, once you know your defense is as bad as it repeatedly proved it was, why wouldn't you try an onside kick EVERY time you scored? May sound silly, but if other offenses are scoring from their own 20 yd line at a VERY high % (I'd guess HHS defense gave up TDs on roughly 75% of opponent's possessions over the entire 2016 season), so what if that % creeps up to 80 or 85% starting drives from the 50? Even if you only recover 1/10 onsides kicks, you're probably better off.

Coaches should be developing players.

It took 8 pages of nonsense to get to a very valid point. This staff took a hit when Jason Lynch left HHS to go coach in Ohio. Second best coach on staff IMO. Then a former head coach in NKY offers to "volunteer" and he is IGNORED. Rather have a guy get paid that spent 4 years in the program and maybe saw the field for a handful of plays.

There needs to be some soul searching by BW and changes need to be made. The definition of doing the same thing over and over and over and over is STUPIDITY.

In that case Highlands will never be that team again.

Not following you. My statement has nothing to do with whether any one will be a team again. All I said is quantity doesn't equal quality. It never has and never will.

If any team has a ton of players and none of those players are any good, then it makes no difference how many you have.

Not following you. My statement has nothing to do with whether any one will be a team again. All I said is quantity doesn't equal quality. It never has and never will.

If any team has a ton of players and none of those players are any good, then it makes no difference how many you have.

So your saying Highlands has a bunch of no good players? It all comes down to good coaching making your players better.

I remember back in Highlands' heyday many posts by their fans explaining why Johnson Central would never be competitive unless they platooned like Highlands did and copy the 'Birds balanced offense. Now that Highlands no longer enjoys the depth that they once had, I am enjoying the posts by Highlands fans complaining that their coach has not been playing their best athletes both ways.

It is enough to make a Johnson Central fan wonder what might have happened to the Golden Eagle's program if Jim Matney had followed the advice to go to a strict platoon system, without regard to depth, and scrapped his offense.

Highlands won like 5 titles since those heated skirmishes. What is your point here? Platooning is ideal if you have the depth. It just is. You get to focus on one aspect of football all week. It makes a huge difference. The key is to know when you got it and when you don't.

Are you really trying to follow him/her/it? By now you should know to ignore or embrace the nonsense.

So your saying Highlands has a bunch of no good players? It all comes down to good coaching making your players better.

I'm not talking about any team. I'm talking about your statement and your constant thought process that having a lot of players on your roster means you should be a good team. The number of players on your roster does not determine how good you are.

Heck, when Duffey coached at HHS, He won a state championship with 32 kids on his roster. By your thought process, he shouldn't have been able to beat anyone in the entire state that year!