Doss 52 Highlands 32

mcpapa

Understand they have read this crap all year and I don't think they would feel they didn't deserve some of the criticism. They, more than anyone, know it's been a tough year. As HHS football players, you play with more pressure on your shoulders every game than any team in NKY! But it's a little different for 30 seniors right after their last football game ever. Just an uncalled for comment in my opinion.

Congrats to all the seniors for continuing to play through the last 2 seasons and not giving up. Best of luck to you all in the future.

But RCC9 lets not be so over dramatic. Posts like this are exactly what rubs some people the wrong way. You tend to make it sound as if no other HS Football players in the area try as hard or hurt as much when they lose. I hope you didn't mean to come across that way but it was a very arrogant thing to say. They had no more pressure on them than anyone else who straps it up every Friday night. It's a game. That's all. Just a game.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to all the seniors for continuing to play through the last 2 seasons and not giving up. Best of luck to you all in the future.

But RCC9 lets not be so over dramatic. Posts like this are exactly what rubs some people the wrong way. You tend to make it sound as if no other HS Football players in the area try as hard or hurt as much when they lose. I hope you didn't mean to come across that way but it was a very arrogant thing to say. They had no more pressure on them than anyone else who straps it up every Friday night. It's a game. That's all. Just a game.

I don't see ANYWHERE where I say no other player has pressure or it doesn't hurt when they lose. I say HHS players have more pressure to succeed. If you don't understand that, I can't explain it.

It's not arrogance. It's my opinion and I have several reasons to feel that way.

Edited by RCC9

HHS coaches and players just don't know how to handle losing and early first round exits. That's a good thing that the program has experienced what they have these past two years, says a ton about the program. Now the Birds feel like the rest of us at times but can't handle it because never had to. It's ok you all will be back one day. Feel the pain that the Birds have caused so many of us and get to work for next season.

HHS coaches and players just don't know how to handle losing and early first round exits. That's a good thing that the program has experienced what they have these past two years, says a ton about the program. Now the Birds feel like the rest of us at times but can't handle it because never had to. It's ok you all will be back one day. Feel the pain that the Birds have caused so many of us and get to work for next season.

Now I get it. It's not the coaches, staff and players that are suffering. That pressure thing begins to make some sense.

Yep. Time will tell. I typically go with the odds.

And my guess...all the haters will crawl back under their rocks until the next downward trend. But hey, we get it! We really do! It's hard for some of us, but we understand why it happens.

No part of my comment was hating on anyone. I was just pointing out that I don't feel that additional state championships are a given.

It almost seems like you are wanting there to be "haters", I guess this would help ensure relevancy.

Congrats to Doss.

I'm not a hater of HHS as their record speaks for itself. I will say however that none, or most, of the 5A and 6A schools in NKY fear HHS whatsoever and yes most of them have caught up to their level of play.

Again, their "history" speaks for itself but I personally do not think there will be the level of dominance that they have enjoyed in the past. The talent levels of many NKY teams has caught up and WILL continue to improve just like I'm sure HHS will but there is far too much of said talent and good/great coaching in the area for them to be the consistent dominator any longer.

They'll get better but HHS fans need to accept the fact that so will everyone else.

Good luck to not only their srs but to all teams who's HS careers came to an end.

No part of my comment was hating on anyone. I was just pointing out that I don't feel that additional state championships are a given.

It almost seems like you are wanting there to be "haters", I guess this would help ensure relevancy.

I didn't mean to say you are a hater. I was saying it generically. Sorry.

But there are plenty of them.

And Highlands doesn't need haters to make them relevant.

Congrats to Doss.

I'm not a hater of HHS as their record speaks for itself. I will say however that none, or most, of the 5A and 6A schools in NKY fear HHS whatsoever and yes most of them have caught up to their level of play.

Again, their "history" speaks for itself but I personally do not think there will be the level of dominance that they have enjoyed in the past. The talent levels of many NKY teams has caught up and WILL continue to improve just like I'm sure HHS will but there is far too much of said talent and good/great coaching in the area for them to be the consistent dominator any longer.

They'll get better but HHS fans need to accept the fact that so will everyone else.

Good luck to not only their srs but to all teams who's HS careers came to an end.

Why would anyone fear them the last two years? I don't think anyone said that.

But because HHS has 2 down years and some could argue one, doesn't label them "just another nky team." That's not arrogance, it's fact. You just don't go from leading the state in state championships, dominating nky for a decade (or more) and 100 years of success to normalcy and irrelevant. Again, that's not arrogance, it truth and anytime we say it we get labeled arrogant. No, a lot of hard work and support went in to all that and we are proud and there's nothing wrong with defending it.

All I say is history tells us they will be back. We've seen this before. People that have only followed HHS recently (even the last 10-12 years) don't see that and we get it. People that have followed for a long time have and know the Birds will build it back.

Congrats to Doss.

Let me ask you this. Has everyone of the competitive teams at the top gotten better or did their enrollment grow substantially? Is it because they have just done that much more to improve their program headbto toe and have hired the right staff, or is it because they have had more athletes to choose from now? So I ask, is it really getting better or are there just a ton more atheletes? Because at one of the school with success, that staff has been there a long time and the success grew as the population grew. Can be said about others as well.

Why would anyone fear them the last two years? I don't think anyone said that.

But because HHS has 2 down years and some could argue one, doesn't label them "just another nky team." That's not arrogance, it's fact. You just don't go from leading the state in state championships, dominating nky for a decade (or more) and 100 years of success to normalcy and irrelevant. Again, that's not arrogance, it truth and anytime we say it we get labeled arrogant. No, a lot of hard work and support went in to all that and we are proud and there's nothing wrong with defending it.

All I say is history tells us they will be back. We've seen this before. People that have only followed HHS recently (even the last 10-12 years) don't see that and we get it. People that have followed for a long time have and know the Birds will build it back.

And here lies the issue. You show me where the word arrogance was used in my post. Tried to commend you with the HHS history and state that other programs have improved to that level and you get your shorts in a bunch and you wonder why some people have they opinion about some of their fans.

You continue to relish in that history as you should. Other teams or fans aren't required to do so.

Let me ask you this. Has everyone of the competitive teams at the top gotten better or did their enrollment grow substantially? Is it because they have just done that much more to improve their program headbto toe and have hired the right staff, or is it because they have had more athletes to choose from now? So I ask, is it really getting better or are there just a ton more atheletes? Because at one of the school with success, that staff has been there a long time and the success grew as the population grew. Can be said about others as well.

Does it really matter? Not sure what school you are referring to but maybe I'll make the assumption and say you are referring to is SK. In that case I would agree. More kids and open enrollment certainly helps. Not sure your premise applies to the Boone Co schools. Other than Ryle who is biggest of the 4 and enjoys the luxury of platooning the logic doesn't hold IMO.

Call it growth, call it improved talent, call it improved coaching or a combination of any of the above. Many of the other NKY teams have caught up.

Let me give you another scenario.

Cooper, Ryle, SK and Conner have all benefited tremendously from growth. That's easy to see. But let me explain why it's even more impactful when you compare to a Highlands or Beechwood and why I know they will be just fine.

When you build as fast and furious like they have, it provides a plethora of opportunities for young families to move in with a fresh start and raising kids. So the saturation of housing to kids is great. Alot of kid at all ages moving into a district.

In Ft Thomas and Ft Mitchell, the cities are landlocked and have been for years! So there is never a "burst" of kids coming in like those schools have seen. In these two cities (this is a little morbid), you have to wait for housing to recycle. And it does and it seems to go in trends. Think about it. A young family is lucky enough to find a house in Ft Thomas they can afford and they move in. They send their kids to school, they grow up and they move out. Well the parents don't leave! They stay another 30-40 years and no kids are ever going to be in that house! Every once in a while, you see a "changing of the guard" or more houses than usual coming up on the market. Meaning that the houses are in a recycle mode. I think (just my opinion) we are seeing some of that right now and ONE of the reasons I know they will be back with time.

Now on the other hand, all those young families that bought new houses 10-12 years ago and continue to buy will eventually see their kids grow up and move out. If they stay in those houses for 30-40 more years like they do in the Forts, then you will see what we go through. The problem is, you'll have a ton of house in that mode at the exact same time. Then what happens. Well I would say "see Boone County Rebels. They are the school that is land locked in that district and have seen others prosper because of it...in their own district. At one time, they were the school that was growing and had tons of success. Now look.

The differences, the HHS and BW communities have been finding ways to be successful, even with this hurdle for years. Now others want to say "weve just caught you". Maybe that true. But my guess it has more to do with the population growth than anything and they will eventually be in the same boat as everyone else and these few down years "when everyone has caught HHS" will be forgotten.

I wonder if in the mid 80's when HHS struggled it everyone thought the same thing? HHS is done. They are "normal" now and they will never be the same. Others schools have finally caught them. They no longer have any advantages over anyone else.

Well how did that work out over time? This is why long time HHS fans understand there or good times and down times. We have just been fortunate enough to spend more up than down. We are in a down time now. But it will make the up times that much better when they come.

And here lies the issue. You show me where the word arrogance was used in my post. Tried to commend you with the HHS history and state that other programs have improved to that level and you get your shorts in a bunch and you wonder why some people have they opinion about some of their fans.

You continue to relish in that history as you should. Other teams or fans aren't required to do so.

I didn't say your's was a use of arrogance. When I type, i answer generically and try to include the entire thread opinions into my long winded responses! lol. Your response was very respectful.