Doss 52 Highlands 32

mcpapa

So your saying Highlands has a bunch of no good players? It all comes down to good coaching making your players better.

You're trying to make a statement about HHS coaching. What's funny is the exact same coaches are still theirs minus one. Do you think it really changed that much in two years with the exact same guys on the sidelines?? That's funny.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not talking about any team. I'm talking about your statement and your constant thought process that having a lot of players on your roster means you should be a good team. The number of players on your roster does not determine how good you are.

Heck, when Duffey coached at HHS, He won a state championship with 32 kids on his roster. By your thought process, he shouldn't have been able to beat anyone in the entire state that year!

Good coaching will make the entire team better.

You're trying to make a statement about HHS coaching. What's funny is the exact same coaches are still theirs minus one. Do you think it really changed that much in two years with the exact same guys on the sidelines?? That's funny.

Anyways I'm done with this thread Highlands doesn't matter to me. Great job Doss!

Highlands won like 5 titles since those heated skirmishes. What is your point here? Platooning is ideal if you have the depth. It just is. You get to focus on one aspect of football all week. It makes a huge difference. The key is to know when you got it and when you don't.
My point is that now that the shoe is on the other foot, Highlands is being criticized for not doing what Johnson Central did to give its team the best chance of winning. Matney has always platooned as much has possible, given the depth that he had. He has also, despite criticism to the contrary by many Highlands fans, always developed depth by substituting as much as possible during the regular season, with an eye on the playoffs and future seasons.

It is easy to criticize other programs for not platooning when your own team is two or three athletic players deep at every position. A good coach develops talent by platooning as much as possible to maximize his team's chances to advance in the playoffs, but that does not always mean platooning at every position all of the time. He also adapts his offensive and defensive schemes to match the athleticism and talent that he has on hand.

My post was not really aimed at your comments and I agree with what you said. What I am saying is that many Highlands fans have criticized Jim Matney and other good coaches in the past for doing exactly what they say Highlands' coaching staff should be doing in response to the talent that they have now and in the pipeline.

When Johnson Central did not have the depth to platoon, Matney gave his team its best chance of advancing in the playoffs by shortening the game with the goal of dominating the time of possession and minimizing his opponents' offensive opportunities. Now that the Golden Eagles are not at a disadvantage depth-wise in most games and he has a young quarterback whose strength is passing the ball, the focus has shifted to "playing fast," with a more balanced attack.

Edited by Dino Nova

It all comes down on Highlands not having open enrollment thank the Fort Thomas residents on that one.

Not sure what you mean?

Isn't "open enrollment" an inter-district school thing? Where you can pick which school within the district to attend? (like Kenton)

Was there a vote by the residents at some point in time about restricting out of district students?

I don't know the # of students they have that are from out of district now. I would imagine it is lower than just the # of Ft Thomas district kids attending NewCath.

Then add the kids going to the other private schools in the area.

Those kids come back and there wouldn't be room for any out of district kids.

I don't see ANYWHERE where I say no other player has pressure or it doesn't hurt when they lose. I say HHS players have more pressure to succeed. If you don't understand that, I can't explain it.

It's not arrogance. It's my opinion and I have several reasons to feel that way.

You just proved my point my friend. Smh

So you're saying if Dale would have been here these last two years you think things would have been significantly different? The records and yearend results would be significantly different?

There was a pretty BIG change that occurred when Dale left would you not agree? BW should have stayed on the defensive side of the ball and Jason Lynch should have taken over the play calling IMO.

And I will also say this, Dale left when he did for a reason and anyone that thinks differently has blinders on. I was told by someone when my son was entering his frosh year that they were the worst class of football players in quite some time. Funny thing is, a handful of them were good enough to still be playing college football.

The issue over the last 3 seasons is like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. If "depth" is an issue, you do not just keep doing the same thing week after week, game after game, year after year. It was said several times on the update thread Friday night that Grant Murray was their best player. How many snaps did he get on defense this year? Brent Angel was the NKFCA 1st team punter last year and how many times did he kick this year?

It is my understanding that Brady Gosney got a ball down to the 1 inch line on Friday and was injured. Who came in at QB? The week before against Boone it was someone else. The frosh Huddleston played quite a bit from what I gather, if he was the best they had earlier in the year he should have been playing then, not in the first round of the playoffs. No knock on the kid, just another example of there seeming to be no PLAN.

You just proved my point my friend. Smh

Then you tell me how Cooper Ryle and SK have just as much pressure to succeed as HHS players. Cause I can tell you many reasons why it's tough on the HHS kids. But you go first.