Jairus Brents - Waggener

Realreason

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he giving any thought to running track and playing football in college?

With his speed I could almost see him as an Olympic level athlete with the proper training

He just started running track and taking it seriously this past year. I don't know about running in college although I would think the opportunity would exist since there wouldn't be much conflict. He won the 55M indoor nationals just on raw speed, track is going to be more of a focus going forward I hear.

Non football related, but the thread has mentioned his speed / track skills. Waggener is entered in the Johnny Conn Invite tomorrow at Male against some top sprinters. Anyone know if he's competing? Haven't seen any of his '17 outdoor marks posted. He is capable of sub 11.0 100m / 22.0 200m as a junior. Great potential if track is his "2nd" sport.

Edited by Runcible Owl

• 3 months later...

per his Twitter account his final 10 schools:

Alabama

Oklahoma

Oregon

Michigan St

Kentucky

USC

Indiana

Pitt

Purdue

Wisconsin

Great young man, wish him the best in his final decision............although I would like to see him wearing the crimson of ROLL TIDE!!!!

per his Twitter account his final 10 schools:

Alabama

Oklahoma

Oregon

Michigan St

Kentucky

USC

Indiana

Pitt

Purdue

Wisconsin

Great young man, wish him the best in his final decision............although I would like to see him wearing the crimson of ROLL TIDE!!!!

Interesting... No UofL???

He posted on his twitter account a little of his back story and the reason behind no U of L. If someone could post a link that would help........I am a little challenged in that area lol

To my home always and forever the great city of Louisville I would like to unfortunately address me having to part ways with the city that made me who I am that I still love til this day. As an 8th grader UofL offered me a scholarship. It was my dream come true. I had the chance to represent my city and play where I grew up attending every home game watching my brother Nick Dawson-Brents play for the hometown Louisville Cardinals. As a 7th grader I lost my father who was my rock and I struggled with his loss. During this difficult time in my life I was a freshman at DuPont Manual. Despite a great support system I couldn't see pass my loss mentally and I struggled academically and couldn't find the proper outlets to channel my hurt. As a result I was removed from DuPont Manual and my recruitment from the University of Louisville came to a screeching holt (sic).

I am blessed to have Coach Johnson who was with me at DuPont Manual and now is my head coach at Waggener highschool in my life. He understood what I was dealing with in losing my father and he encouraged me and saw the best in me. Coach Johnson stuck around and supported me as I have matured from being an immature freshman to a captain in my senior year.

With his help the unwavering support of my mother, family, and support system I was able to make it out of a dark time in my life. To all the coaches that offered me scholarships to their Universities thank you for believing in me and sticking around to see me through my ongoing maturation process MY TOP TEN........

DH1zKflXsAA8rw2.jpg

Me too....in addition to Tahj Rice-Duke commit. I mean Waggener has a roster of 26 and has 2 major D1 players. That is nuts!

Have another kid Manny Harper WR/DB, he has offers from Morehead St, Murray St, and EKU currently as well, with others showing interest. You will see some flat out speed watching that game.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Repairing Quote

They've got about five defensive players that were incredible athletes and very solid players.

Reading this statement from Brents is eye-opening and moving. I understand why schools stick with or move away from kids (that's part of the business), but I'm glad to see Brents recognizing where his struggles were and crediting his coach and new school with working to help make him a better person. Wherever he goes, I'll be a fan.

I attended the Waggener-Bardstown game last year at Waggener. He did not have huge numbers in that game, but his presence and his skill set is such that every time he touches the ball you hold your breath because something electric might happen. I remember having that same feeling when I watched Craig Yeast at Harrodsburg and Michael Bush at Male. I hope he goes far (and picks USC).