Jairus Brents - Waggener

Realreason

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense to this young man - and I hope he takes advantage of the offers given to him - but after watching about 3 games of his I'm thinking these offers are more for track than football.

Track guys get offers, but not like this. Good luck son, choose wisely.

That would require that he hasn't been actively recruited by Louisville...I thought he'd had official visits and received an offer letter both, which would rule out blueshirting.

"A blueshirt is a player who arrived on campus as a "preferred" or "recruited" walk-on and goes on to earn a football scholarship. The NCAA doesn't allow for schools to produce written promises of scholarships to walk-ons, but that doesn't stop a school from telling a prospect who walks on that an offer is coming after a certain point."

"There are a couple of different ways you can award a blueshirt scholarship," one Big 12 coach said. "We'll have some cases of a player arriving for the start of fall practices, and we'll then immediately put them on scholarship after the end of fall camp, then count the scholarship forward - against the 2015 class, for example - and announce them on the following signing day.

"The other way is if there's a player, and we know we'll have a scholarship coming open at a certain position. We tell them if you come as a freshman, pay your own way, a scholarship will come open at this point in time, and it's yours."

"A blueshirt is a player who arrived on campus as a "preferred" or "recruited" walk-on and goes on to earn a football scholarship. The NCAA doesn't allow for schools to produce written promises of scholarships to walk-ons, but that doesn't stop a school from telling a prospect who walks on that an offer is coming after a certain point."

"There are a couple of different ways you can award a blueshirt scholarship," one Big 12 coach said. "We'll have some cases of a player arriving for the start of fall practices, and we'll then immediately put them on scholarship after the end of fall camp, then count the scholarship forward - against the 2015 class, for example - and announce them on the following signing day.

"The other way is if there's a player, and we know we'll have a scholarship coming open at a certain position. We tell them if you come as a freshman, pay your own way, a scholarship will come open at this point in time, and it's yours."

Right.

So as I said, I thought Brents has gotten an offer letter from Louisville and has had an official visit to Louisville, which would rule out blueshirting.

I don't believe he's taken an official to UofL

Well, I suppose we'll see. My understanding was that coaches visiting, written offers, and official visits are all not allowed if a player is going to blueshirt. It also means Brents won't be signing a letter of intent today, because that indicates recruitment according to the NCAA.