Jairus Brents - Waggener

Realreason

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[url=http://www.whas11.com/article/sports/high-school/student-first-approach-leads-to-1-million-in-scholarships-for-waggener-athletes/417-516038632][/url]

http://www.whas11.com/article/sports/high-school/student-first-approach-leads-to-1-million-in-scholarships-for-waggener-athletes/417-516038632

I attached a link of an article about our program, and wireman was right, it is definitely always interesting at Waggener, although I know he was trying to be negative, ain't nobody got time for that.

Also, Jairus did sign with UofL after a whirlwind of a week due to some antics of Coach Narduzzi at Pitt. He was set to accept a Blue Shirt to Louisville, however we were able to put enough pressure on Louisville, thanks to West Virginia and Florida State, to be able to have him a scholarship signed with the class of 2018, which is why there was not an announcement at 3pm, it could have cost him an immediate scholarship offer.

pig roast.jpg

Edited by varsityblues
Link

I know enough about the recruiting process to when stuff like this happens it’s because the “adults” are acting like children. Help the kid make an important life decision and do what is best for the kid...not what’s best for the adult(s). *cough* Chris Vaugh *cough*

Curious how this works out. There is definitely something wrong with the system.

I know enough about the recruiting process to when stuff like this happens it’s because the “adults” are acting like children. Help the kid make an important life decision and do what is best for the kid...not what’s best for the adult(s). *cough* Chris Vaugh *cough*

Please explain what exactly Chris Vaughn did during this process to get this kind of reaction from you. I have seen Chris help a lot of kids out so I am not sure where you are coming from on this.

I agree. I think the delays were caused by see how many scholarships were left and if they had a scholarship to offer Jairus Brents. They waited until they had a confirmed full scholarship for next year. Patience was the key. If anything Chris Vaughn may have helped Jairus navigate the system to get what he wanted(full scholarship for next year at UofL). Nigel Kilby apparently didn't enroll early and isn't on Louisville list, perhaps when this cleared up, Jairus had a spot,.. but thats purely speculation

If I had been in Brents' shoes, I'd have to think long and hard about how much I want to actually play football in college. As in, how much do I actually want to get in and play during football games. I would really have to question how much UofL really cares about me when I'm sitting there holding offers that I received months ago from folks like West Virginia, Florida State, and Alabama, but Louisville doesn't bother to send me anything until like 5pm on signing day.

I'm not trying to make any statements about Brents' abilities as a football player, because he's a beast, but I just feel like if I were in his shoes, I wouldn't have felt like the Cards had much planned for me. If I'm going to accept a scholarship to sit on the sideline, then I'm sure as hell going to do it at a program like Oregon or Alabama that will at very least offer me a shot at a conference championship, much less a national title.

If I had been in Brents' shoes, I'd have to think long and hard about how much I want to actually play football in college. As in, how much do I actually want to get in and play during football games. I would really have to question how much UofL really cares about me when I'm sitting there holding offers that I received months ago from folks like West Virginia, Florida State, and Alabama, but Louisville doesn't bother to send me anything until like 5pm on signing day.

I'm not trying to make any statements about Brents' abilities as a football player, because he's a beast, but I just feel like if I were in his shoes, I wouldn't have felt like the Cards had much planned for me. If I'm going to accept a scholarship to sit on the sideline, then I'm sure as hell going to do it at a program like Oregon or Alabama that will at very least offer me a shot at a conference championship, much less a national title.

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of recruiting, let alone everything that went into Brents' decision, but I was always under the impression that made the decision early in his recruitment to favor schools away from home. It wasn't that Louisville didn't want him, it was that they couldn't get him. I'm curious what happened with Pitt, but from everything I've read it seems like after visiting this past week his camp reached out to Louisville. It seems to me the few hour delay in signing was more of figuring out scholarship numbers as opposed to not actually wanting the young man. As a fan, I was thrilled when he decided to come, and I can't imagine him not seeing the field quite a bit, hopefully early.

• 1 month later...
I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of recruiting, let alone everything that went into Brents' decision, but I was always under the impression that made the decision early in his recruitment to favor schools away from home. It wasn't that Louisville didn't want him, it was that they couldn't get him. I'm curious what happened with Pitt, but from everything I've read it seems like after visiting this past week his camp reached out to Louisville. It seems to me the few hour delay in signing was more of figuring out scholarship numbers as opposed to not actually wanting the young man. As a fan, I was thrilled when he decided to come, and I can't imagine him not seeing the field quite a bit, hopefully early.

Dont get it confused.... Any and every attempt to take at shot at Louisville will be taken around here.