Next District Realignment?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are currently 19 teams in the 9th region. You could take all 4 Campbell Co schools, and Scott High from the 10th, and take Simon Kenton, Grant Co, Walton-Verona, Williamstown from the 8th and you are at 28 teams. You could then take 4 more teams and have 2 16 team regions right here in Northern Kentucky. Possible candidates could be Pendleton Co., Gallatin Co, or head down the double A and pick up Bracken Co and Augusta.

Somehow, "The Sweet Seventeen" just doesn't roll off the tongue.

If the southern 8th region schools are worried so much about the travel to remote locales like Walton and Independence, maybe they should petition the KHSAA to realign the Louisville regions and put them in the 7th. Nah?

As far as Kenton Co high schools are concerned, I don't think they necessarily belong in the same district to be honest...Dixie, located between Erlanger and Ft Mitchell, is probably is more in line with being in a district with Lloyd (which they are), or Beechwood/CovCath (which they arent). Scott, being in Taylor Mill and just up the hill from Latonia, would make sense to be in with Holy Cross, and then Holmes as a result, and Simon Kenton probably makes just as much or more sense with the rural northern schools of the 8th (as they are now) or even the newer Boone County high schools than they do with Dixie or Scott.

KHSAA needs a major realignment. There are too many 3-team districts in the west and east. Therefore, teams that are on the region borders need to push that way.

I'll help by starting this process: The Bullitt Co. schools need to be in the 5th, as does Spencer Co. Anderson Co. needs to be in the 12th. Hart/Caverna should go to the 4th, and probably Green Co. too. Boone Co. schools should be in the 8th. Probably can put Oldham Co. schools into one of the Louisville regions, and same with Shelby/Collins. Franklin Co./Woodford Co. schools to the 8th, but maybe not.

You 10th Region fans need to get over some old rivalries too. The 16th needs some of your teams so that their border teams can move south to the 15th.

Who does the 15th need from the 16th? 16th has 16 teams with no plans anywhere for reduction or consolidation. The 15th is losing a team in total when AC and SF combine to make Floyd Central. The logical/ geographical answer to bring them back up to 16 teams would be to move a 14th region team. Knott Central, Jenkins, Cordia, June Buchanan, and LCC have a 5 team district that borders the 15th. Pick one and be done. KCC would be the most logical as they are next door to the "Floyd County" district that needs a team.

I am well aware of the Fleming Co-10th region ties but sending MoCo and/or GRC to the 16th is nuts as they are in a perfect geographic district now with Bourbon Co and Paris.

Who does the 15th need from the 16th? 16th has 16 teams with no plans anywhere for reduction or consolidation. The 15th is losing a team in total when AC and SF combine to make Floyd Central. The logical/ geographical answer to bring them back up to 16 teams would be to move a 14th region team. Knott Central, Jenkins, Cordia, June Buchanan, and LCC have a 5 team district that borders the 15th. Pick one and be done. KCC would be the most logical as they are next door to the "Floyd County" district that needs a team.

I am well aware of the Fleming Co-10th region ties but sending MoCo and/or GRC to the 16th is nuts as they are in a perfect geographic district now with Bourbon Co and Paris.

Letcher Central would probably vote for this:cool:. it would leave them in a district with June Buchanan, Jenkins and Cordia.

No plans now, state budget may start dictating this. :depressed:

I've heard from several people) that the Kenton County School board has requested that Scott, Dixie, and SK all play in different districts/regions, and with the number of schools in the area (including all the Boone and Campbell County Schools which are all very close as well) it's an easy request to accommodate. And really, it's probably the best thing for the 3 schools athletically. I get the travel issues Sk and Scott end up with regionally, but with the number of schools in the area, someone is going to get stuck traveling, otherwise the 9th region would just be too big. Putting the three KCBE teams together in one district would be absolutely brutal, as all three schools are typically very competitive in most sports.

Change your number to 4 teams, and you'll have a picture of what the 33rd District is like.

My perfect region would be:

37th: Brossart, Campbell, Calvary, Silver Grove, Scott

38th: Bracken, Pendleton, Augusta, Robertson

39th: St Pat, Mason, Fleming, Lewis

40th: Nicholas, Harrison, Bourbon, Paris

I think they need to fix 37th to only four teams somehow. But everything you do has an effect on another district or region. One thing I really love about this is you bring back dying rivalries. (Mason/Fleming, Pendleton/Bracken) Especially if you seed the district.

If you're talking strictly about proximity, what about the other schools in Kenton County?? Beechwood, Holmes, Lloyd, Holy Cross, Covington Catholic, Ludlow and Calvary are all very close to each other. Why single out just the Kenton County School district schools? I'd say all of them with the 3 Kenton County Schools are within a 9-10 mile radius. If it's just about proximity, a district of Holmes, Holy Cross, Scott and Calvary makes the most sense. With the number of schools in Kenton County alone you could draw up 10 different districts and none of the alignments would create a district where teams would be more than 10 minutes apart. It's my understanding (and it may not be true, it's just what I've heard from several people) that the Kenton County School board has requested that Scott, Dixie, and SK all play in different districts/regions, and with the number of schools in the area (including all the Boone and Campbell County Schools which are all very close as well) it's an easy request to accommodate. And really, it's probably the best thing for the 3 schools athletically. I get the travel issues Sk and Scott end up with regionally, but with the number of schools in the area, someone is going to get stuck traveling, otherwise the 9th region would just be too big. Putting the three KCBE teams together in one district would be absolutely brutal, as all three schools are typically very competitive in most sports.

You are correct about their school board. But the Simon Kenton coaches have a different take on it with all the problems associated with traveling to the 8th Region schools when they could drive 5 minutes for in-region and in-district games vs Scott and Dixie in their own county.

I agree the 9th Region has a lot of schools, but a number of them are VERY small like Cov Latin, Bellevue, Dayton, Ludlow, Beechwood, St. Henry, Newport, Heritage to name a few. I probably missed several as well since there are so many schools up in N.Ky. I do not think a new region is needed, but some realignment would be helpful around the state.

You are correct about their school board. But the Simon Kenton coaches have a different take on it with all the problems associated with traveling to the 8th Region schools when they could drive 5 minutes for in-region and in-district games vs Scott and Dixie in their own county.

I agree the 9th Region has a lot of schools, but a number of them are VERY small like Cov Latin, Bellevue, Dayton, Ludlow, Beechwood, St. Henry, Newport, Heritage to name a few. I probably missed several as well since there are so many schools up in N.Ky. I do not think a new region is needed, but some realignment would be helpful around the state.

I don't disagree with the travel part. But you could make a lot better proximity arguments than Scott-SK-Dixie. Beyond them being part of the same school system, there is no other real reason for them to be in the same district, or even region. There are much better geographic district options for each school than each other.

I don't disagree with the travel part. But you could make a lot better proximity arguments than Scott-SK-Dixie. Beyond them being part of the same school system, there is no other real reason for them to be in the same district, or even region. There are much better geographic district options for each school than each other.

Travel was my point when comparing it to the 8th Region. For Simon Kenton's kids to have to ride on a bus to Crestwood in the middle of January for a in-region game with South Oldham is just insane when they could simply drive to either Scott or Dixie in their own county. Same applies to our Oldham County schools having to drive up to N.Ky. in the middle of January to meet Simon Kenton for a in-region game. You are correct there are other schools up there that are very close to Simon Kenton and Dixie and Scott, but that is the problems with the 9th Region, so many smaller schools, low enrollment, but they still count as much as a huge school as far as number of teams in a region or district. I do not know how to solve the problem.

I agree with much of your statement, but the bolded is why I thought they might opt out of playing post season as they can not compete with the teams mentioned. Highlands, on the other hand, would be a great fit and allow the 36th District in the 9th Region to become a 4-teamer again.

I totally understand why Calvary would like to play the smaller KHSAA schools, Cov. Latin, Heritage, etc. It makes sense. But it would seem like putting them into the 9th Region in a district with Silver Grove might be an option and place Simon Kenton back to the 9th Region. If Calvary and Silver Grove decide against playing in the district tournaments (which anyone could understand because of the margins involved), you are not increasing the tournament size. Simon Kenton should be in the same region as Dixie. They are down here in the 8th, and the travel for them and us is not idea, especially in the winter. Just an opinion.

Am I mistaken, isn't Calvary Christian just a few miles from Simon Kenton as the crow flies?