Belfry vs. Newport Central Catholic

The "imtimidating crowd" comments are a joke.

Seriously--what makes the Belfry crowd any different than any other team?

Are they louder?

Do they storm the field all the time so the kicks have to play the fans as well?

I have played/coached in a lot of football games--and the crowd is something that 99.9% of the players/coaches block out. (And the few times that I haven't been able to block it out--it was Beechwood/NCC).

You guys make a better argument with the QB comments. Harris is a good player--but he hasn't played QB in a real game for a few years. And--it would be different if he was playing in a easier offense. But he isn't. As I said before--if he plays half way decent--NCC has a chance to win. If he plays really well--NCC has a very good chance to win. If he plays bad--NCC has very little chance to win.

You guys need to get off the crowd thing. That is as weak as it gets!

:rolleyes: You said said you haven't been able to block the crowd out at the Beechwood/NCC game. Like I said, NCC can't fathom it. You make my point for me. Go check it out for yourself, since you have questions about the Belfry crowd. Then a post like you just made will carry a little weight. Again, I'm not a Belfry fan. Just go check it out and get back to me.

Don't agree with the QB argument either. I think if Belfry contains Vicars, they win. And Belfry is notoriously good at stopping the run.

All I'm saying is the crowd will be a factor for Belfry, and I know that to be a fact.:sssh:

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rolleyes:

Why don't you come up with something better than rolling your eyes?!?

Just because you guys say that Belfry has an intimidating crowd--doesn't mean that anyone or any team is going to be affected by it. (And remember--you are not going to find many people who dislike NCC as much as I do--so that isn't the issue).

Why don't one of you guys give us some EXAMPLES as to why the Belfry crowd is so intimidating? (And not just 1). Being loud is not something that high school kids are real scared of.

In basketball--I could see where the crowd could have an influence on the game. In football--I don't buy it. Like I said--I have played/coached in much bigger games than this--please--someone--give me some reason why any team should/would/could be intimated by the fans of a certain school!

In all fairness, it wasn't Belfry fans pumping the crowd.

Belfry's crowd is big and loud, but it isn't nearly the factor at CAM Stadium as it was at Vipperman, IMO. At Vipperman the crowd could really be intimidating for a couple of reasons, but at CAM, I don't think the layout lends itself to the same type of atmosphere.

Just as loud to me, and the vistors' side across from the home side makes it better IMHO...also from across the field Belfry's side looks like a crowd you would see at a college game. That's just my thoughts though, no expert by any means. Belfry will be even harder to beat in their new stadium I believe.

:rolleyes: You said said you haven't been able to block the crowd out at the Beechwood/NCC game. Like I said, NCC can't fathom it. You make my point for me. Go check it out for yourself, since you have questions about the Belfry crowd. Then a post like you just made will carry a little weight. Again, I'm not a Belfry fan. Just go check it out and get back to me.

Don't agree with the QB argument either. I think if Belfry contains Vicars, they win. And Belfry is notoriously good at stopping the run.

All I'm saying is the crowd will be a factor for Belfry, and I know that to be a fact.:sssh:

If you would take a few moments and read the entire thread--you would probably realize that I am the first person who came up with the "stopping" Vicars = win comments (it definitely wasn't you). Matter of fact--I even broke things down a little more than that.

What you neglect to see is that I know my job a little better than you could ever begin to imagine. I was already past the fact that Belfry will stop NCC's running game (meaning--I am confident that NCC will have a hard time running against Belfry). Which puts the game in the hands of the QB . . . . Imagine that. So basically--I am a step ahead of you. You obviously didn't do the math when I posted that NCC is going to run 60% of the time. That leaves 40% pass--which Belfry is NOT GOOD at stopping the pass (I have seen Belfry--including seeing them at Vipperman--more times that you know). I didn't find the experience intimidating or any louder than any other game that I can recall.

As far as Beechwood/NCC . . . . keep in mind--these 2 schools hate each other on a completely different level. (Probably similar to Belfry vs whoever their main rival is). For those 2 games a year--it is as loud as I have ever heard at a game. For the remaining games--the Beechwood crowd is extremely low key/quiet. But billy--I seriously doubt that you have ever been to a Beechwood/NCC game--which makes you very UNQUALIFIED to speak about it. If you have--then it sounds like you are just about as unimpressed with that rivalry as I was UNIMPRESSED with the imtimidating Belfry crowd.

Like I said before--WHAT IS SO IMTIMIDATING? Because loud is not something that is intimidating.

If you would take a few moments and read the entire thread--you would probably realize that I am the first person who came up with the "stopping" Vicars = win comments (it definitely wasn't you). Matter of fact--I even broke things down a little more than that.

What you neglect to see is that I know my job a little better than you could ever begin to imagine. I was already past the fact that Belfry will stop NCC's running game (meaning--I am confident that NCC will have a hard time running against Belfry). Which puts the game in the hands of the QB . . . . Imagine that. So basically--I am a step ahead of you. You obviously didn't do the math when I posted that NCC is going to run 60% of the time. That leaves 40% pass--which Belfry is NOT GOOD at stopping the pass (I have seen Belfry--including seeing them at Vipperman--more times that you know). I didn't find the experience intimidating or any louder than any other game that I can recall.

As far as Beechwood/NCC . . . . keep in mind--these 2 schools hate each other on a completely different level. (Probably similar to Belfry vs whoever their main rival is). For those 2 games a year--it is as loud as I have ever heard at a game. For the remaining games--the Beechwood crowd is extremely low key/quiet. But billy--I seriously doubt that you have ever been to a Beechwood/NCC game--which makes you very UNQUALIFIED to speak about it. If you have--then it sounds like you are just about as unimpressed with that rivalry as I was UNIMPRESSED with the imtimidating Belfry crowd.

Like I said before--WHAT IS SO IMTIMIDATING? Because loud is not something that is intimidating.

Thanks for making my point again. NCC, like you, can't fathom it...

Come on down and catch the game, and then your opinion might mean something. Ever see a game at Belfry? If so, when and who did they play?

BTW, the tone of your posts in a "civil" conversation with me suggests you would be easily rattled at Belfry.:D

Thanks for making my point again. NCC, like you, can't fathom it...

Come on down and catch the game, and then your opinion might mean something. Ever see a game at Belfry? If so, when and who did they play?

BTW, the tone of your posts in a "civil" conversation with me suggests you would be easily rattled at Belfry.:D

No--I just don't do well with people who:

1. Can't take a few minutes to understand the flow of the conversation

2. Don't pay attention

3. Act like a crowd impacts the result of a football game.

4. Homers who have no objectivity in something as objective as this.

As far as me being rattled? Do I know you? Do you know me? Doubt it. And I seriously doubt that I would get rattled to play or coach against Belfry. I have played/coached against better teams (not saying that Belfry isn't good--but the truth is the truth). There is nothing about Belfry that scares me. I have respect for the program and especially for Coach Haywood. I would expect you to be scared of Beechwood--why would I be scared of Belfry? I am not 4 years old . . . . . . NCC on the other hand--you obviously don't know them. When they come down--they will think that they are doing Belfry a favor by showing up (see maks comments above). I doubt that they will be all that scared either.

Again--you obviously didn't read my last post. I have been to 7 Belfry games--6 of which were at Belfry (4 of which were during 2003/2004 during championship years). At the very least--I had enough respect for your comments to read them. It would serve you well (in this conversation) to read mine (you may find that I only disagree with you about 1 thing). I don't expect you to catch my drift there.

As I said before--it wasn't any louder than any other game that I have played/coached in.

So--go back, read what I wrote--so you can actually answer with some thought as opposed to being completely one-sided and narrow minded. It would do you some good.

(I wish defense was in the morning on Tuesdays . . . . . I could have avoided this mess).

No--I just don't do well with people who:

1. Can't take a few minutes to understand the flow of the conversation

2. Don't pay attention

3. Act like a crowd impacts the result of a football game.

4. Homers who have no objectivity in something as objective as this.

Again--you obviously didn't read my last post. I have been to 7 Belfry games--6 of which were at Belfry (4 of which were during 2003/2004 during championship years). At the very least--I had enough respect for your comments to read them. It would serve you well (in this conversation) to read mine (you may find that I only disagree with you about 1 thing). I don't expect you to catch my drift there.

As I said before--it wasn't any louder than any other game that I have played/coached in.

So--go back, read what I wrote--so you can actually answer with some thought as opposed to being completely one-sided and narrow minded. It would do you some good.

(I wish defense was in the morning on Tuesdays . . . . . I could have avoided this mess).

I'm not a homer. I'm not even a Belfry fan. I've told you that about 3 times now. Please pay attention, take a few minutes to understand the flow of the conversation, and finally realize I'm not a homer.:D

If you don't think a big, loud home crowd is an advantage in a football game, we will just have to agree to disagree.

BTW, reread the thread and didn't see where you said stopping Vicars = Belfry wins. Maybe I just couldn't follow the flow of your posts.:D

I'm out, nice talking to ya.:walk:

Im a Belfry supporter myself, heres my two cents: The crowd, although loud and usually huge isn't a great factor in the outcome,maybe a little but not enought to tip the scales of a game. Belfry has an awesome stadium that is as good as any one in this state, period. Im proud that Belfry has such a great place to play. But if Belfry is to win this game it is going to take good ole Belfry football to win it, (not some loud crowd) which means fundamentally sound football, being mentally tough and making smart decisionsis is going to be the deciding factor.

I'm on my way to the shrink, who hopefully can shed some light on why I am going out on a limb to take up for Belfry.:lol: Really looking forward to this one though. I could easily watch it on TV from the comfort of my living room, but I will be on hand to see it in person.:jump: Good luck to both teams, and may the best team win.

You would have to be there in order to really experience the football that belfry brings to the table. The atmosphere is wild. I can't wait to see Belfry kick it off. However, I must say that New Cath will be TOOOOOO much for Belfry in the end.

Good luck to both teams. I wish Belfry the Win as they are a Pike County team, but like I said, I see NCC pulling away with the win.

This is the kind of inter-class, intersectional matchup that I love to see during the regular season with two teams that could be playing deep into the postseason. Just wish it wasn't on the other side of the state.

If you left now, you could just about make kickoff...

Belfrys crowd does have a repuatation of being loud. I remember going to Florence mall when we play Loyd in the playoffs and people was stopping me and my family and asking them if it was true if our whole community came to a game. They was even peopkle that said they was going to the game just to see our crowd. I was very impressed with that.

But beyond crowd whoever runs and makes less mistakes is going to win this game. Belfrys pass defense just might be better than normal this year they return alot in the secondary. Vicars will be tuff to stop though hes an excellent back. One thing Belfry might have going for them is from what I can see and hear this years D Line is going to be pretty quick.

Harris will be just fine I'm sure he'll have a few jitters at first but no way does it affect him the whole game. I'm pulling for NCC in this one good luck Breds.

Yeah I said during the first half it will have an affect on him. And it will both teams with any players playing a new position for atleast a couple plays. But the qb position is the tuffest to break into.

Belfry will have to deal with the same thing though but ours did start out the season starting last year so it might make it a little bit easier on him.

This is going to be an exciting game. Belfry defintley has their hands full and everyone I have talked to respects NCC alot and is excited about the game.

I know your trying to be neutral as you should be but dont you agree that Belfry pretty much outmuscled Pikeville the same way that NCC did? I mean Pikeville had a huge weakness last year which they have worked hard on during the offseason and that is strength. The bigger better teams simply ran them over and that is including Belfry and NCC.

Being a Pikeville boy I hate to admit but youre absolutely right. Theyre has been a serious deficiency of up front strength at Pikeville since the late 90s. But they have worked hard to fix that this off season, Id like to see them play NCC this year and cant wait to watch them play Belfry this year.