Belfry vs. Newport Central Catholic

Is this best match up in KY for week #1?

Who is a favorite in this game, why?

This game is an ideal match up for both teams. NCC gets to face a power running team (like Beechwood will be this year) and Belfry gets to face a very good football team with a balanced attack that is on par with 2A State Final teams.

Who is the favorite?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as so-called big names go this might be on paper the best match up but, when all is said and done it won’t be the best game of the Pike County Bowl as far as competition goes. It might be considered bad football but one of the local games will turn out much better. More time then not it seems to happen this way at least in the Pike County Bowl games I have attended over the years. The sad part about this the crowd for those games are as scarce as a poll showing a positive rating for the guy most of you voted for president.

As far as so-called big names go this might be on paper the best match up but, when all is said and done it won’t be the best game of the Pike County Bowl as far as competition goes. It might be considered bad football but one of the local games will turn out much better. More time then not it seems to happen this way at least in the Pike County Bowl games I have attended over the years. The sad part about this the crowd for those games are as scarce as a poll showing a positive rating for the guy most of you voted for president.

It is bad football, no other way to look at it.

NCC will be favored going in but, the big IF, is if Belfry finds a speed back to replace Maynard they will be better than last year. This will be a close game no matter what and probably the best in the state in week 1.

A State Final (especially the champ) 1A team is, more often than not, going to be better than a State Final 2A team.

NewCath will most likely be the stronger team.

Mak-- you are digging quite the hole for yourself today.

You may actually want to do a little investigation on Belfry before you make comments like this.

I rememeber the last time that we had a very balanced offense--that played against a team that was 95% run. 500 yards rushing later--we got destroyed in the state championship.

This is going to be a very good game. And considering the fact that NCC is going to have to run the ball more this year--I say that it is Belfry's game to lose . . . . .

I honestly don't know who to pick in this one, two great programs and it should be a great game. Guru imo you are right about NCC being on level with any AA team in the state. I don't know what all Belfry has coming back but this will be a great game game regardless.

Well I believe that most might be forgetting that NCC is returning 4 out of 5 starters from the state championship line,and also returning a RB that rushed for over 1400 yards last season. They will be very good against the run and I believe they will be very balanced on offense. Look for NCC to win and have a great season.

Well I believe that most might be forgetting that NCC is returning 4 out of 5 starters from the state championship line,and also returning a RB that rushed for over 1400 yards last season. They will be very good against the run and I believe they will be very balanced on offense. Look for NCC to win and have a great season.

I don't think that any of us are forgetting about it. I just think that some of us (with an unbiased viewpoint) have seen Belfry play before--and know that they have a few kids coming back as well.

NCC may very well win this game--but in my humble opinion--this is a very dangerous game for NCC if Belfry has any success running the ball at all. (Ball control could hurt NCC's momentum with a new QB. Especially considering the fact that this will be the first game for a new NCC qb (and I am aware that all available NCC qb's do have more than just a little football skill). The offense line will help NCC--but Belfry is going to play solid, fundamental ball control football.

Belfry has the potential to rough NCC up a little bit. From past dealings--they are a pretty physical team--playing pretty close to home.

I just don't see this as the definite domination that my little brother mak sees . . . . . .

Regardless--I think it will be a great game to start out the year. And it is a definite step up in scheduling for NCC.

I don't think that any of us are forgetting about it. I just think that some of us (with an unbiased viewpoint) have seen Belfry play before--and know that they have a few kids coming back as well.

NCC may very well win this game--but in my humble opinion--this is a very dangerous game for NCC if Belfry has any success running the ball at all. (Ball control could hurt NCC's momentum with a new QB. Especially considering the fact that this will be the first game for a new NCC qb (and I am aware that all available NCC qb's do have more than just a little football skill). The offense line will help NCC--but Belfry is going to play solid, fundamental ball control football.

Belfry has the potential to rough NCC up a little bit. From past dealings--they are a pretty physical team--playing pretty close to home.

I just don't see this as the definite domination that my little brother mak sees . . . . . .

Regardless--I think it will be a great game to start out the year. And it is a definite step up in scheduling for NCC.

I never said NCC would dominate,I said I look for them to win. I do agree that belfry is a good team and it will be a good game.