EKU fires Dean Hood

kypride

What a shock, I don't think too many seen that coming.

Maybe they will begin recruiting KY better, there are plenty of kids here that can play at that level by their JR year.

Just because your from Fla don't mean your better than a KY kid.

A KY kid would play with more pride and heart since they are from here and bottom line is get more people,in the stands.

I think you're wrong. A LOT of people saw the firing of Hood coming or at least hoped it was coming.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just from memory, in last years class :

Ross

Hedger

Olmstead

Deaton

Given time, I could think of more.

Furthermore, I find really strange that Coach Hood, who puts on this fabulous Christian Facade, imports some of the most character challenged people out there.

Refresh my memory. Ross?

Did EKU not recruit Olmstead?

Deaton had no other FCS offers, correct?

I'm asking which NKY kids could have gone there but weren't recruited.

EKU, under hood, always offered KY kids a PWO option to earn a scholarship. I always thought that they believed they needed to recruit nationally to compete. That's a true statement- EKU can't live on just kids from the state but doesn't make sense to bypass KY kids that are talented.

Refresh my memory. Ross?

Did EKU not recruit Olmstead?

Deaton had no other FCS offers, correct?

Hedger is on scholarship at one of the TN OVC schools, Ross is on scholarship at Eastern Illinois and Olmstead on full scholarship at D2 Findlay, but had less competitive offers from Tennessee Martin, Eastern Illinois and 2 Patriot League schools. Deaton is 6'4" LB with 4.6 40 speed.

Deaton was recuited at D2 and D1 but had academic issues that I bet were not nearly as bad as some of Hoods Florida imports!

Technically he wasn't fired, his contract was up and it will not be renewed. Coach Hood was nothing but great to my son, me and our whole family during my son's 4 years at EKU. That being said I understand the move. The new president has aspirations of moving to FBS and it will require different leadership to get there. This year's team not making the playoffs, and winning a playoff game was the tipping point--especially with a new president. The team was in position to make a run but a fluky loss to UT-Martin and last weekend's loss to EIU on a windy, snowy day in Charleston ultimately prevented that.

Good luck to Coach Hood and his family moving forward and to EKU in finding a replacement to help them take them to the next level. The new coach will inherit a good nucleus on offense barring any transfers.

So, for their climb into FBS...do they go out and get an older established coach who knows the ropes to "baby sit" the program in it's FBS infancy, or do they go immediately after a young up and comer with possibly no FBS head coach experience and try to let him manage the transition with hopes he can handle it?

So, for their climb into FBS...do they go out and get an older established coach who knows the ropes to "baby sit" the program in it's FBS infancy, or do they go immediately after a young up and comer with possibly no FBS head coach experience and try to let him manage the transition with hopes he can handle it?

Guy Morris is right down the road...might be a good bridge pick for a coach if moving to FBS is their end game.

No thanks on Morriss. There's a reason he didn't get another D-1 head coaching job after Baylor. President Benson was at Southern Utah University before coming to EKU. I look for him to make a run at their coach, Ed Lamb. Lamb inherited a team coming off of an 0-11 season and has had them in the playoffs 2 of the last 3 seasons. He's a 1996 graduate of BYU.

When I was at EKU ('72-'76) Coach Kidd recruited Florida and other states really well and always had good competitive teams. I remember a big defensive line player named Wally Chambers from Michigan that signed with the Bears and was Rookie of the Year in the NFL.

Toward the end of Coach Kidd's tenure, he said that his recruiting budget had been cut so much that he wasn't able to recruit as effective in Georgia and Florida as he had during his more successful years.

Technically he wasn't fired, his contract was up and it will not be renewed. Coach Hood was nothing but great to my son, me and our whole family during my son's 4 years at EKU. That being said I understand the move. The new president has aspirations of moving to FBS and it will require different leadership to get there. This year's team not making the playoffs, and winning a playoff game was the tipping point--especially with a new president. The team was in position to make a run but a fluky loss to UT-Martin and last weekend's loss to EIU on a windy, snowy day in Charleston ultimately prevented that.

Good luck to Coach Hood and his family moving forward and to EKU in finding a replacement to help them take them to the next level. The new coach will inherit a good nucleus on offense barring any transfers.

Dean Hood seemed to be a really good person. It's sad that a change had to be made, but I think it really needed to be done.

From the EKU game I attended, I was not impressed with many of their student athletes character and behavior. Things like players arguing amongst one another on the sidelines, visiting with people in the stands, and at one point a position coach had to tell a key player to go watch the game from the stands because he seemed more interested in the fans than the game. The most appalling was the non-qualified players that had to sit in the stands just next to the visiting recruits. These boys were beyond out of control with cursing, disrespecting adults and acting as if they had no common knowledge on how to represent their program. That did not set a good example for a parent about to send their kid to that program. Maybe the new AD wants someone that get the football program back under control. That was just my perception.