EKU fires Dean Hood

kypride

From the EKU game I attended, I was not impressed with many of their student athletes character and behavior. Things like players arguing amongst one another on the sidelines, visiting with people in the stands, and at one point a position coach had to tell a key player to go watch the game from the stands because he seemed more interested in the fans than the game. The most appalling was the non-qualified players that had to sit in the stands just next to the visiting recruits. These boys were beyond out of control with cursing, disrespecting adults and acting as if they had no common knowledge on how to represent their program. That did not set a good example for a parent about to send their kid to that program. Maybe the new AD wants someone that get the football program back under control. That was just my perception.

As the parent of one of those student athletes I can see that you obviously don't know many of the EKU players. There are a ton of good kids in that locker room. You probably don't know anything about the mission trips that they go on in the summer or community service that they provide during the school year or the OVC Medal of Honor winners on the roster. I'll just leave it at that.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the parent of one of those student athletes I can see that you obviously don't know many of the EKU players. There are a ton of good kids in that locker room. You probably don't know anything about the mission trips that they go on in the summer or community service that they provide during the school year or the OVC Medal of Honor winners on the roster. I'll just leave it at that.

First thing is congrats on having a kid playing at the next level. Please note that in my post, I said "many of their student athletes", NOT ALL. Yes, I am aware of the missions, community service projects and other "GOOD" things that come from the EKU program. What I was referring to was the actual experience that we had on our visit. Honestly everything was great up until what I explained that we actually saw going on with the athletes on the sideline and in the stands in which I am referring to. No need to defend the program, I know it's a decent program (the reason for the visit), but there was definitely a lack discipline or a need of attitude adjustment in some of the players. I've been on several college sidelines for many years and I know how student athletes are expected to act, and what we saw as a complete recruiting group, was not a good example. It's that simple.

First thing is congrats on having a kid playing at the next level. Please note that in my post, I said "many of their student athletes", NOT ALL. Yes, I am aware of the missions, community service projects and other "GOOD" things that come from the EKU program. What I was referring to was the actual experience that we had on our visit. Honestly everything was great up until what I explained that we actually saw going on with the athletes on the sideline and in the stands in which I am referring to. No need to defend the program, I know it's a decent program (the reason for the visit), but there was definitely a lack discipline or a need of attitude adjustment in some of the players. I've been on several college sidelines for many years and I know how student athletes are expected to act, and what we saw as a complete recruiting group, was not a good example. It's that simple.

It says a lot about your character when you start disparaging the character of a group of young men that you do not know. I'll leave it at that. And that's exactly what you did. My son's career is now complete. He made 47 starts at EKU and we wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

It says a lot about your character when you start disparaging the character of a group of young men that you do not know. I'll leave it at that. And that's exactly what you did. My son's career is now complete. He made 47 starts at EKU and we wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

I have disparaged no ones character. I simply made note of an observation from a visit. If you can't handle that, that is on you. Your son should be proud of his accomplishments and his good character. I'm sure his experience was great one as he made it through 4 or 5 years. There's nothing wrong me with stating a view of problem players if I view it as a problem (because of public behavior), and again I did see a few of them on that team, and as a coach I would not allow that behavior. Didn't mean to hurt any feelings here!

I have disparaged no ones character. I simply made note of an observation from a visit. If you can't handle that, that is on you. Your son should be proud of his accomplishments and his good character. I'm sure his experience was great one as he made it through 4 or 5 years. There's nothing wrong me with stating a view of problem players if I view it as a problem (because of public behavior), and again I did see a few of them on that team, and as a coach I would not allow that behavior. Didn't mean to hurt any feelings here!

Go back and read your post. You plainly mentioned their character. If you don't like their sideline demeanor that's fine but you questioned their character. I'd like to see you question the character of Chris Kelley, Brett Eyckmans, Ben Madon Stanley Absanon or Taylor Speaks to their faces. Whatever, I'm done with you anyway. Just stick to rooting for your Redhawks. I see they found an FCS team that they could beat this year.

Go back and read your post. You plainly mentioned their character. If you don't like their sideline demeanor that's fine but you questioned their character. I'd like to see you question the character of Chris Kelley, Brett Eyckmans, Ben Madon Stanley Absanon or Taylor Speaks to their faces. Whatever, I'm done with you anyway. Just stick to rooting for your Redhawks. I see they found an FCS team that they could beat this year.

Wow, I am trying to be respectable here, but I see you are about as mature as the college boys I am referring to. Maybe you sit with them> I don't know. Any college student athlete with good character would not be wearing their game day gear, sitting in the stands, cursing like sailors, acting out as they were, and speaking about some of the things they were speaking about in public. It's ok to have some fun, but what they were doing was beyond disrespectful. This is a plain and simple experience that I had, that you as an EKU fan can not accept. As I said, I was not the only parent there that thought this was a disgrace to the program. I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings to hear the truth, but it is what it is. If the boys names you mentioned were in that particular crowd, then "yes" I would definitely question their character as I would my own sons. I actually root for EKU also,so your childish comment ...."Just stick to rooting for your Redhawks. I see they found an FCS team that they could beat this year."...makes me question you as an adult being able to communicate reasonably. Again.. I'm so sorry I hurt your feelings. Good night sir or ma'am.

FYI..Even though UMASS and EMU are at the bottom of the MAC, They ARE NOT FCS schools. just bit of football knowledge.

Wow, I am trying to be respectable here, but I see you are about as mature as the college boys I am referring to. Maybe you sit with them> I don't know. Any college student athlete with good character would not be wearing their game day gear, sitting in the stands, cursing like sailors, acting out as they were, and speaking about some of the things they were speaking about in public. It's ok to have some fun, but what they were doing was beyond disrespectful. This is a plain and simple experience that I had, that you as an EKU fan can not accept. As I said, I was not the only parent there that thought this was a disgrace to the program. I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings to hear the truth, but it is what it is. If the boys names you mentioned were in that particular crowd, then "yes" I would definitely question their character as I would my own sons. I actually root for EKU also,so your childish comment ...."Just stick to rooting for your Redhawks. I see they found an FCS team that they could beat this year."...makes me question you as an adult being able to communicate reasonably. Again.. I'm so sorry I hurt your feelings. Good night sir or ma'am.

FYI..Even though UMASS and EMU are at the bottom of the MAC, They ARE NOT FCS schools. just bit of football knowledge.

You're really good at backtracking aren't you? You started out questioning the character of "many" of the players. Then you claimed you were disparaging no ones character when you plainly said the opposite. Then you changed it to a "few". I've been around those kids for 4 years and I can guarantee you there are a lot more great kids than bad ones. I can't speak to how the redshirts act in the stands as I've never sat in the stands. If they were not acting right then that is regrettable but to make the comments about the character of many of the players over a group that was not even dressed was uncalled for. If you've got anything else to say to me you can say it via PM. I'm done with you here. And I was referring to that FCS powerhouse Presbyterian that Miami managed to defeat this year.

You're really good at backtracking aren't you? You started out questioning the character of "many" of the players. Then you claimed you were disparaging no ones character when you plainly said the opposite. Then you changed it to a "few". I've been around those kids for 4 years and I can guarantee you there are a lot more great kids than bad ones. I can't speak to how the redshirts act in the stands as I've never sat in the stands. If they were not acting right then that is regrettable but to make the comments about the character of many of the players over a group that was not even dressed was uncalled for. If you've got anything else to say to me you can say it via PM. I'm done with you here. And I was referring to that FCS powerhouse Presbyterian that Miami managed to defeat this year.

No need for PM's I stand by what i said. I'm done trying to explain my personal experience and view to you. Hood is out unfortunately, and I think the AD will find a great replacement for the program. My question is where does Hood and his staff go from here? How does this effect potential recruits?

Not sure if all the blame was Hood's, but they do a horrible job of recruiting KY. They spend a lot of time recruiting guys that can't play from FL, especially the skill positions.

I hate it for Coach Hood. He always seemed like a really great guy the times I was around him and had some success at EKU.

What you said about recruiting KY is why I laugh at EKU, though, while I wave my Hilltopper towel (to an extent, merely from the WKU/EKU rivalry). Obviously WKU has had and does get some big time players out of state, but when the program was about to fold in the late 80s'-early 90's, all the way to the 02 National Championship team, to the D1 transition and NOW being arguably the best football program in our state....they have made it a priority to sign KY kids. Not only recruit KY kids, but they have become the stars for their program at the time.

Joey Stockton- Mid 90's All-American

Jason Michael- QB of the '02 National Champ Team (come to think of it, half, if not more of the offensive starters on that team were KY kids)

Justin Haddix- QB 03-06

The list goes on an on.....

Meanwhile, the once "Football School" between the two is three steps behind their once "Little Brother".

Just throwing this out there, any chance EKU pursues former Colonel and current UPike HC Al Hollan Jr?

If they're really going to try to go FBS I don't think they'd be interested in someone that has 2 seasons of head coaching experience in NAIA and has no D-I coaching experience other than a year as a grad assistant. He seems to run an exciting offense but I don't think he's ready to run an FCS program--especially one that is trying to move up. He'd seem to be better suited to be a position coach/coordinator at that level at this point in his career.

If they're really going to try to go FBS I don't think they'd be interested in someone that has 2 seasons of head coaching experience in NAIA and has no D-I coaching experience other than a year as a grad assistant. He seems to run an exciting offense but I don't think he's ready to run an FCS program--especially one that is trying to move up. He'd seem to be better suited to be a position coach/coordinator at that level at this point in his career.

I agree with you. I was just throwing that out there and seeing what others thoughts were on him.

I agree with you. I was just throwing that out there and seeing what others thoughts were on him.

He seems like he has a bright future. He's probably just a little bit green for this kind of a position. Now if they could bring in someone on their way up that would be around 4-5 seasons before moving on he might be an interesting choice for an offensive coordinator that they could look at as a possible successor...