5A #1 Highlands @ Cooper Predictions

Highlands at Cooper  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Highlands at Cooper

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I do not. however I do think we should talk up to our children and not be little them or the teams they play. it's called parenting your children the right way

I forgot to welcome you to the site so ....welcome. I look forward to your comments.

To make it easier for those you are responding to use the "quote" button instead of "reply." That way we'll see the exact quote you are replying to.

Blowout? Are you kidding. This will be a good test for both programs and I think the best is yet to come. I really anticipate this game to be within 10 points and could very well be closer. I am pulling for my birds but they have a lot of work to do.

From my previous experience playing under Coach W I would not put much thought into the results of the scrimmage against X. The coaching staff knows who and what they have at their positions and for the most part scrimmages are used to find out what the questionable kids can bring to the table for the team. With that being said, I think Birds win 28-14.

Cooper might water the field down also.

Oh there is that famous excuse! As far as the grass goes, the week of the game it rained most of the week, up until the night prior if I recall. When would you have liked us to mow the grass? The stadium is open all day every day, I'm sure Coach Borchers would open it if not, to let anyone check out the field if it helps you prepare better.

By the way, he also cancelled a soccer game the week of Ryle last year in order to keep the field from getting torn up. It's football if you want a smooth surface, go play basketball or as mentioned cough up some dough and help a NKY program out.

From my previous experience playing under Coach W I would not put much thought into the results of the scrimmage against X. The coaching staff knows who and what they have at their positions and for the most part scrimmages are used to find out what the questionable kids can bring to the table for the team. With that being said' date=' I think Birds win 28-14.[/quote'] Fair enough! Last year you had definitive leaders this year time will tell

I will do my best.

Cooper returns basically it's entire starting offense and defense from last years State Semi Finalist team. As far as skill positions go the only position lost (although it si a big one to lose) was the QB position. But as was the case the previous 2 seasons, Cooper will have a 1st time varsity starter behind center this year. With Coach Borchers, that never seemed to be too big of a problem. By half way through the season the QB's always seem to have the system down and have been more than adequate. The first game however can be a bit challenging which makes this weeks matchup so intriguing.

The team hit a road block last year when they lost more than half their defensive starters week 3. They went into the SK game with missing 6 starters on the defensive side of the ball as well as a couple on offensive side of the ball. Unfortunately for them that is what some poeple remember the most about last regular season, the SK game. They lost pretty good to SK and some forget about what they went into that game with as well as just trying to get out of the game without any other big losses. Their star skill players for instance didn't play more than the first couple series, their RB for instance only had 4 carries and then was taken out to prevent injury due to the line being banged up.

They did get almost everyone back by the first game of the playoffs in which they won another regional title on their way to another State Semi Final game only to lose to the eventual State Champions.

As far as the players to look for. 2 of the linemen are among the area's best in Elliot Smith and Marcus Watson, Watson plays on both sides of the ball and is one of the better pass rushers in the area. He also has a knack for blocking punts, I know he had several last year including 2 in their first playoff game.

The defense will be their strong suit. They are loaded with ball hawks starting with the Keller Twins. They may be small in stature but they are as vicious as they come when tracking down the ball. They just have a nose for it. They play a hybrid LB type of position in this defense and as LB's they will still find a way to break up many passes as both have sefveral int's last year including 3 pick 6's....one of the twins alone had 2 pick 6's in the first playoff game last year. They will also be returning a DB who was one of the injured last year and missed the rest of the season after getting hurt after the 2nd game of the year. This kid however only in 2 games last year led the etnire NKY area with 3 int's at the time he went out with season ending injury. As far as the defense this year....I know much isn't put into 7 on 7's but I can tell you that I did watch them in a couple 7 on 7's and out of the 6 other teams they played that I saw, only a couple teams actually scored on them during the 7 on 7's. Their scrimmage last week was a scrimmage against 3 teams in Oldham county. It was against Oldham Co. Dunbar and another team (escapes my mind who the 3rd was) and what they did was play each team for a quarter. They shut out all 3 teams. Their defense if healthy should be the bright spot of this team.

Now about their offense. As I said the big question mark is the QB. In 7 on 7's he looked very accurate but the one downside I saw was he would tend to hang on to the ball a little long. that is eomthing hard to judge though in 7 on 7's because there is no pass rush etc. I didn't see their scrimmage Friday but was told he looked pretty good hitting on a couple TD's etc. as well as scrambled really good including a 30+ yard TD run. But the heart and soul of the offense comes from their RB. Torrey Cordell-Armstrong has been playing Varsity since his freshman season ended and he was moved up to Varsity for Coopers 2012 state championship run where he got his feet wet a little bit. By his sophomore year he took over the starting RB position around half way through the season until it ended with a broken leg in the Dixie game. He recovered by the beginning of the 2014 season where he came back healthy and hungrier than ever. He came back strong enough to lead the NKY area as the leading rusher. This over the great RB's at Ryle and SK to name just a couple. Not too shabby for a kid many say was undersized. He is a smaller quick type of back but I heard he put on some good weight this off season and is stronger than ever.

The offense also has an "Athlete" who can do it all in Dante Hendrix. HJe is the younger brother of Aaron Morgan for those that remember Aaron when he helped lead Cooper to the state title game in 2012. Dante plays WR and has the best hands I've seen in the area last year and that is saying a lot seeing how I thought Winkler going into the season was the best going into last season. Dante has the speed and hands to keep all the defenses honest so they can't stack the box against the run. He also can play QB and RB as well as their #1 kick returner. If needed he can play some great defense as a DB but hopefully the defense will stay healthy enough that he won't be asked to stretch himself that this this year.

Well that about does it. I feel if they were in 5A this year, they and Highlands may be the best in the area and this game will be a great test to see where each team stands and what they need to improve on going forward.

Hope that helps Qryche11

Wow....that was more than a mouthfull lol

Thanks Hellbird. I am looking forward to seeing this game Fri night.

I think Highlands wins, but I'm rooting for Cooper! Hopefully the football tide in Campbell County starts moving south soon, Highlands has had a storied run, but I hope it ends with Mueller. Dale was one of kind, the best type of coach there is. One of the best coaches I've ever had the chance to know.

Hey, is this the correct list of the current Highlands football coaches?

Head Coach:

Mr. Brian Weinrich

Assistant Coaches:

Mr. Nick Behymer - Linebackers Coach

Mr. Dan Court - Freshman Assistant Coach

Mr. Zach Deaton - Wide Receivers Coach

Mr. Jim Dierig - Freshman Assistant Coach

Mr. Mark Dill - Defensive Line Coach

Mr. Brady Dowling - Freshman Head Coach

Mr. Wayne Hall - Offensive Line Coach

Mr. Shelby Jones - Defensive Coordinator

Mr. Ryan Leopold - Defensive Backs Coach

Mr. Jason Lynch - Running Backs Coach

Mr. Matt Reed - Freshman Assistant Coach

Mr. Scott Turner - Offensive Line Coach

Mr. Michael Waite - All-Purpose Assistant Coach

Mr. Ron Welch - All-Purpose Assistant Coach

Please let me know if any names need to be added or removed, or if what position(s) they coach are different than what I have listed. Thanks!

Hey, is this the correct list of the current Highlands football coaches?

Head Coach:

Mr. Brian Weinrich

Assistant Coaches:

Mr. Nick Behymer - Linebackers Coach

Mr. Dan Court - Freshman Assistant Coach

Mr. Zach Deaton - Wide Receivers Coach

Mr. Jim Dierig - Freshman Assistant Coach

Mr. Mark Dill - Defensive Line Coach

Mr. Brady Dowling - Freshman Head Coach

Mr. Wayne Hall - Offensive Line Coach

Mr. Shelby Jones - Defensive Coordinator

Mr. Ryan Leopold - Defensive Backs Coach

Mr. Jason Lynch - Running Backs Coach

Mr. Matt Reed - Freshman Assistant Coach

Mr. Scott Turner - Offensive Line Coach

Mr. Michael Waite - All-Purpose Assistant Coach

Mr. Ron Welch - All-Purpose Assistant Coach

Please let me know if any names need to be added or removed, or if what position(s) they coach are different than what I have listed. Thanks!

Have a roster?

Hey' date=' is this the correct list of the current Highlands football coaches? Head Coach: Mr. Brian Weinrich Assistant Coaches: Mr. Nick Behymer - Linebackers Coach Mr. Dan Court - Freshman Assistant Coach Mr. Zach Deaton - Wide Receivers Coach Mr. Jim Dierig - Freshman Assistant Coach Mr. Mark Dill - Defensive Line Coach Mr. Brady Dowling - Freshman Head Coach Mr. Wayne Hall - Offensive Line Coach Mr. Shelby Jones - Defensive Coordinator Mr. Ryan Leopold - Defensive Backs Coach Mr. Jason Lynch - Running Backs Coach Mr. Matt Reed - Freshman Assistant Coach Mr. Scott Turner - Offensive Line Coach Mr. Michael Waite - All-Purpose Assistant Coach Mr. Ron Welch - All-Purpose Assistant Coach Please let me know if any names need to be added or removed, or if what position(s) they coach are different than what I have listed. Thanks![/quote']

Now I see why all charge so much for water, gotta pay a lot of people.

I sat through a little more than half the scrimmage, a few observations. St. X is strong, balanced and big. It was also nice to see big TE on the field making some YAC. HHS on defense needs boys to step up way to many tackles by Beal and Dougherty in the safety spots, again that might be do to the size and strength of St. X. I saw a few pancakes go against us.

On offense HHS needs to run N to S. 5 yard losses on Jet sets up 3 and long. Boys get past grudges Cain needs to get the ball. I did not see one pass thrown his way. It was not lost on me.

wasnt there for the scrimmage... Was Cain covered or not open? Odd that the returning leading receiver to not get any looks. Hoge sure seemed to have confidence in him. Kid has good hands and seems to always get positive YAC. If he wasn't looked to, there is definitely an issue.