5A #1 Highlands @ Cooper Predictions

Highlands at Cooper  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Highlands at Cooper

I'm not trying to nit-pick Cooper, but in the past several years, many players have played both sides of the ball.

How many athletes will be playing both O/D for Cooper?

Will this be a factor against the fresh legs of the platooning Birds?

That changed last year when they finally got their roster numbers up.

they started platooning the majority of players last year and actually everyone platooned except 1 player I believe at the beginning of the season but when half of the starters got hurt in the first couple games they had to play some both ways but the majority still only platooned last year.

That will be this year I believe also. The majority will platoon.

In years past their roster size was only in the 40's but last year they were up to around 70+ and this year is more of that number I believe.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have seen both teams play? How is that possible when this is the first game for both of these teams? Oh, you mean you watched Cooper play last year when they were 7 starters down against SK and pulled their players in the 1st quarter? Nothing that happened last year matters this year.

Highlands is the best team in this area and will be until a team knocks them off. Cooper is VERY talented this year, and with it being the first game of the year, and Cooper having a strong defense and the ability to eat the clock with a GREAT RB could make this game interesting. I will not predict a score but I know Cooper will not be intimidated by Highlands, just as I expect Highlands to come out and perform like the team they are and have been.

Does the natural grass play against Highlands at all?

All depends if they cut the grass. Last year vs Ryle the game was early, first game I think. They grass was super long. Super hot and humid. So there was a ton of moisture under that long grass. It made a huge difference for Cooper. That game was close, but not very close. Cooper had it from the get go. I'm not comparing Ryle to Highlands, but just making a comment on the grass. It will slow Highlands down if they leave it long.

Cooper might water the field down also.

Water the field down? Are you kidding me? Never once has Cooper watered the field down for a football game. If you don't like the drainage system that was installed at Cooper then I suggest you take it to the BOE or buy some turf.

Thanks for the laugh though. I needed it on this Monday!

Here is my predictions:

End of 1q

7-7

Halftime

21-7 HHS

End of 3q

35-7

Final

42-7 HHS

HHS to much upfront and will probably play about 8 offensive lineman in the first quarter alone.

Cooper does have talented skill players but I think HHS has a little better and a lot more. HHS will probably have 8-10 Wr/Rb/Te play in the first quarter. The unrelenting wave of players is difficult to handle mentally and the speed in which the offense runs plays exhaust about every opponent they face. With this being Cooper's first time playing them they will be shocked at not only how fast HHS is at almost every position but shocked at how fast they operate. About the only way to practice against it would be to have two complete scout team offenses, but the offense coming in from the sideline comes in with the play called already. The whole HHS offense is usually waiting for the ref to spot the ball because they already have the play and are ready to go! Watching them on film you cannot tell how fast they line up and run the next play.

What Cooper is great at on defense is not giving up big plays. Very disciplined, simple, sound approach, they are not going to try and out guess you with a bunch of blitzes. They just line up and do their jobs and they do it at a high level. This is why I think the game will start out close but the waves of blue become too much.

I hope I am wrong and Cooper pulls of the upset. I would love to see it within two scores!

With all due respect while I appreciate the analysis, everything you have stated is what Cooper has heard over and over again since 2012. Highlands is a great great program and all of the credit and predictions of a blowout, route, massacre, should be and is expected if you base everything on their history. However, if people think this Cooper team won't make this a game for longer than a qtr they obviously haven't been paying attention to the progress that's being made in Union and no, I'm not talking about the "other" team in Union. Again, the Highlands program is the Highlands program but if anyone thinks Cooper doesn't have weapons of their own outside of TCA that MUST be stopped they will be surprised Friday nite. Cooper doesn't have a 100 kids on the team so yes a few play on both sides of the ball but one thing I will agree on is that they are disciplined and they do what they do and stay within the formula that Coach Borchers and staff create that's been working pretty good so far.

How anyone can predict the outcome, yet alone a blowout, of the first game of the season is beyond me. Both teams, like most or all teams, are still trying figure out all the puzzle pieces with the intent on having that solidified come each teams district play. So everyone can keep laying out the predictions since everyone knows BOTH teams so well but I'll remain in the camp of "let's let this thing play out" because it just might be one heck of a game.

How anyone can predict the outcome, yet alone a blowout, of the first game of the season is beyond me. Both teams, like most or all teams, are still trying figure out all the puzzle pieces with the intent on having that solidified come each teams district play. So everyone can keep laying out the predictions since everyone knows BOTH teams so well but I'll remain in the camp of "let's let this thing play out" because it just might be one heck of a game.

Exactly!