Arrest warrants issued for cheering at graduation

We can just do the math. If we allot 5 seconds of cheering for every student times 200 students for example, then we are only adding roughly 17 minutes to the entire ceremony. (I don't think many, even boisterous cheering families lasted more than 5 seconds in the graduations I have been to.) Then, there should be no reason that the pace of the other graduation ceremony activites couldn't be moved along to maintain a reasonably concise graduation ceremony.

I will concede or propose that more people are interested in the calling of the names and the cheering of the family members than listening to a lot of boring speakers.

Thus, I would issue a warrant to the school official encouraging him to revise his graduation ceremony to accommodate cheering or face criminal penalties.:thumb:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This could have been handled much easier (and smarter) by just announcing that there will be no cheering during the diploma line. Whoever called for arrest warrants should be tased just for fun.

Easy to say, but it don't work.

That being said, this response is idiotic.

Slightly off-topic, but true.

When my son graduated in 1998, the school still announced all honors and scholarships. Some folks complained that his list was too long. They stopped doing that soon afterward.

PS - apple don't fall far from the tree.

I'm embarrassed for the person(s) who made the decision to file charges.

No one was hurt. A few people showed their happiness by letting out a cheer. Who the hell cares? It's not my style but I'm not mad at people who choose to do so.

I think it's fine that parents whoop it up at a graduation ceremony. It's a cause for celebration, not silence. In some cases, these kids represent the first time someone in that family has graduated with a diploma. So give these parents five seconds to get it out of their system. I were the defendant, I'd request a jury trial on the disturbing-the-peace charges. Absolutely ridiculous.

While filing charges is ridiculous, I understand why they try to stop the cheering/yelling. Once one family does it, some others feel like they have to or it looks like they don't care about their Jimmy or Susie graduating. It can sometimes become a contest.

Like everyone else, I have sat through my share of graduations. Most of us know in advance who the obnoxious rude families are going to be. No, they should not be arrested or tased, but many of us secretly sit in that hot sweaty gym and fanticize about it.

Let 'em cheer. These kids accomplished something positive and some want to not have to sit there an extra 30 minutes or even an hour or more because families want to cheer their family or friends. C'mon people, these kids did something positive!!!

Never understood why it was a big deal. Graduation is not a funeral, it's a celebration or should be, let 'em ROAR!

NCC's graduation last month lasted 1 hour tops and every family there cheered when their child's name was called. Bunch of outlaws. Every one of them should have been tased. And don't you dare throw your cap into the air! You could poke someone's eye out!

Not surprised by that at all. I just hope they kept the profanity at a minimum. :woot: (All in good fun here LA).

While filing charges is ridiculous, I understand why they try to stop the cheering/yelling. Once one family does it, some others feel like they have to or it looks like they don't care about their Jimmy or Susie graduating. It can sometimes become a contest.

I've never been to an event like this where more than a handful of people applauded and it was hardly a nuisance when they did.