Arrest warrants issued for cheering at graduation

Reason # 3,481,220 why I love my kids' Catholic high schools! Small classes mean less time sitting through graduation and we can hoot and holler all we want! Praise Jesus! :ylsuper:

Isn't Trinity HS a Catholic School too.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said my kids' schools. They are both small.

I wasn't refering to your kids going to Trinity, just stating that obviously every school has problems, even Catholic Private schools

If I lived close to a private school I would try my best to send them there

I'm going to be politically incorrect here and just say it...I HATE graduation ceremony's in...lets just say Gooberville. Was going to use another term but had second thoughts.

Any EVERY graduation I have been to, they pretty much PLEAD everyone to be quite, don't shout out and hold applause till after everyone has gone through. This is a done for a reason(s). Got to tell you, the graduation ceremony I went to at Whitely Co a few years ago, if I tasered every freaking bobble head that stood up and shouted like Dale Earnhardt had just come back from the dead when their Billy Bob or Jamie Sue walked across the stage, I would have had to have about 20 back up batteries with me to get through it. And Whitely Co isn't the only place I have seen this, but the first one that pops in my mind and probably the one that stands out among the others. Just sit down and shut up! Geezz.

But arresting people? Well I guess if they were being rowdy enough and completely unruly. But other than that I don't see it.

I can't like this enough. I loathe LOATHE graduation ceremonies. They are absurdly long for no reason, the speeches (99% of the time) are completely irrelevant to the graduates, you have to wear excessively heavy and hot garb, sit uncomfortably close to each other and on top of that if it is a college graduation inevitably there is some kind of faculty performance of some sort (unnecessary speeches or musical ensembles) to inflate the egos of said faculty. They are pretentious and wasteful activities and that need to be capped at 1 hour max. if you have enough graduates to where it takes longer then forget processing in and just have everyone start seated. Ugh, such an irrelevant waste of time. I have never NEVER been to a short graduation ceremony and I hope to God that whenever I get my next degree there is no pressure for me to walk, because I have no desire to whatsoever.

Reason # 3,481,220 why I love my kids' Catholic high schools! Small classes mean less time sitting through graduation and we can hoot and holler all we want! Praise Jesus! :ylsuper:

Doesn't help if you have some moron giving a speech lasting about 45 minutes.

Isn't Trinity HS a Catholic School too.

Yes, 253 in my graduating class in 2001. Ceremony was darn near 3 hours because of the morons who gave the speeches. I swear I wanted to smack them upside their heads. Sitting there in close confines in our white tuxes while they prattled on about their utterly irrelevant lives in our frame of reference like they were imparting some kind of sacred wisdom. Teenagers don't care, if you talk more than 5-10 minutes you have lost us. There is a part of me that wishes smart phones existed back then so I could have done something other than read the freaking graduation program like 100 times.

Don't you talk about our Bishop that way... :sssh:

Bishop Foys keeps NKY Catholic High School graduations to one hour exactly. I have been to so many different ones that I have his speech memorized. "My gift to you is that I will keep my comments brief. I know that I am the only person standing between you and the door."

I would want it to be a school like LCA, Lex Cath, Not a small school where most sports weren't offered. Would love for my kids to go to Colegiate in Louisville.

Ahhh, but that's not what your original post stated. But I get what you are saying.

Bishop Foys keeps NKY Catholic High School graduations to one hour exactly. I have been to so many different ones that I have his speech memorized. "My gift to you is that I will keep my comments brief. I know that I am the only person standing between you and the door."

I told Jr BB this exact same thing at a graduation we attended this year...he graduates next year, I plan to hoot and holler just because of this thread...

Yes, 253 in my graduating class in 2001. Ceremony was darn near 3 hours because of the morons who gave the speeches. I swear I wanted to smack them upside their heads. Sitting there in close confines in our white tuxes while they prattled on about their utterly irrelevant lives in our frame of reference like they were imparting some kind of sacred wisdom. Teenagers don't care, if you talk more than 5-10 minutes you have lost us. There is a part of me that wishes smart phones existed back then so I could have done something other than read the freaking graduation program like 100 times.

I think I found the problem...

Went to my brother's graduation last week and while the ceremony was long (300+ kids) I don't think it was because of people cheering. It was as others pointed out, the slow procession of kids into the seating are (probably 20ish minutes) and people giving speeches that nobody remembers today.

The cheering to me was perfectly okay. They would call a name, let that person walk across the stage, get their diploma, and then call the next name. In the time that the graduate walked across the stage, the cheering had ceased. No delay. Heck even the whole group of seniors cheered for some of their classmates (mostly the football players who led the team deep in the playoffs but others as well). Maybe we should start all the graduates adults lives off with warrants since they all cheered.

And I also had no issue with the multiple long standing ovations that were given when the class president was 1) brought in by medical staff, 2) announced by the saludatorian, 3) received his diploma and 4) gave his speech. It was actually moving to see the student body and all in attendance support him so much.

Went to my brother's graduation last week and while the ceremony was long (300+ kids) I don't think it was because of people cheering. It was as others pointed out, the slow procession of kids into the seating are (probably 20ish minutes) and people giving speeches that nobody remembers today.

The cheering to me was perfectly okay. They would call a name, let that person walk across the stage, get their diploma, and then call the next name. In the time that the graduate walked across the stage, the cheering had ceased. No delay. Heck even the whole group of seniors cheered for some of their classmates (mostly the football players who led the team deep in the playoffs but others as well). Maybe we should start all the graduates adults lives off with warrants since they all cheered.

And I also had no issue with the multiple long standing ovations that were given when the class president was 1) brought in by medical staff, 2) announced by the saludatorian, 3) received his diploma and 4) gave his speech. It was actually moving to see the student body and all in attendance support him so much.

But..did they request in advance to hold the applause/cheering?

I was at a graduation last year when a beloved Special

Ed kid got his diploma with a standing ovation. That's great, and incredibly special. However, when the crowd is asked to hold big celebrations in general...what is the big deal? Polite applause is fine as kids get their diplomas. Is your child's graduation so much more important than anyone else's? You should whoop it up when asked not to?

I was proud of my kids (almost), every day of their lives. We all are. I don't see the need to show the crowd that the rules don't apply to me, so I have to show everyone my kid is special at graduation.

If asked not to do it, don't do it. If it is a short program and everyone does it, that's great.