Arrest warrants issued for cheering at graduation

Seems a little excessive to me:

(CNN)Four people who cheered -- allegedly excessively -- for their loved ones at a high school graduation ceremony in Senatobia, Mississippi, say they've now been slapped with an excessive punishment.

Two weeks after watching her niece walk across the stage at Senatobia High School's graduation ceremony on May 21, Ursula Miller received a warrant for her arrest for disturbing the peace.

"I just called her name out. 'Lakaydra,' Just like that," Miller told CNN affiliate WREG.

Now, Miller said, she has to appear in court or could face at least a $500 fine.

Henry Walker waved a towel and yelled, "You did it baby," to his sister as he walked out of the ceremony. He is another one of the four who also received the warrant.

Audience served arrest warrants for graduation cheering - CNN.com

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never once seen a situation where someone didn't hear their name called because of cheering. They basically always pause long enough for cheering to be completed, and it is exceedingly rare that any sound is longer than about 2-3 seconds.

I have been to a lot of graduations. They are long enough anyway. Why can't people follow the requests to applaud AFTER all graduates have been announced? It is not that hard. I am ok with someone finally being called out on it. There are those who just think the rules don't apply to them.

The other option (other than ignoring this) would have been to confront the violators and kick them out. This would have been a worse option and more disruptive probably ending in violence.

Again what is wrong with showing respect to others and following directions?

I have been to a lot of graduations. They are long enough anyway. Why can't people follow the requests to applaud AFTER all graduates have been announced? It is not that hard. I am ok with someone finally being called out on it. There are those who just think the rules don't apply to them.

The other option (other than ignoring this) would have been to confront the violators and kick them out. This would have been a worse option and more disruptive probably ending in violence.

The same people that go overboard at graduations are the ones who talk on their cell phones in the lobby of the doctor's office and carry on conversations during movies. Can't stand those people. They don't need to be arrested, just punched in the forehead.

This could have been handled much easier (and smarter) by just announcing that there will be no cheering during the diploma line. Whoever called for arrest warrants should be tased just for fun.

I have been to many graduations...and this is ALWAYS requested, and at EVERY graduation you can count on a handful of families to completely ignore the request. I am ok with someone being called out finally.

I have been to many graduations...and this is ALWAYS requested, and at EVERY graduation you can count on a handful of families to completely ignore the request. I am ok with someone being called out finally.

Then tase those who are screaming. I'm not happy unless someone get tased.

That's not the point. Do you agree that they should have warrants issued for their arrest for cheering? Yes or no?

That's not the point. Do you agree that they should have warrants issued for their arrest for cheering? Yes or no?

Thank you for your interest in my opinion on this question which has not been specifically asked in previous posts....

If the facts are true (just yelled out a name), then it is excessive (no). If there was prolonged yelling, clapping, screaming (and I have witnessed this), then yes....there are limited options in how to deal with this. The effect of the warrant is to have the defendant address the charge. I would expect the government to drop the charges after the first meeting.

I yelled out at my oldest graduation for two reasons:

1) He actually made it and was able to walk in the ceremony

2) It was the last time I had to deal with that public school system trying to dictate what they believed to be in everyone's best interest

For the record, I would have taken a tasing to have been able to get 30 seconds on the mic and tell the entire administration what a bunch of rubes they were.