Trading Johnny Cueto!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can try all they want. They still won't win now and there are the majority in this thread that think trading Cueto will lead to winning more games which will lead to a World Series. I'm just here to tell you all that it will not happen. So instead of having players worth going to the ballpark to watch and play even though they are in a bad team, after the trade there will be very little to get excited about seeing.

I guess you are totally missing the point in this thread. No one really WANTS to trade Cueto but given that there is very little chance of the Reds signing him long term they need to get something for him other than a compensatory draft pick. The only way they can do that is to trade him and try to get value for him.

I know you are obsessed with Cueto to the point that you can't think clearly but you left him off. You said Votto and Chapman were the only players that aren't scrubs.

Look at my earlier posts in here. I even said the 3 plauers of Votto Cueto and chapman.

I never used small market as an excuse. I don't believe in small markets with today's TV contracts.

To enable to be successful with a small payroll you have to have the players in your system. Reds don't.

Sorry you said small payroll. Which the Reds have the highest in the division. Payroll, market is not a valid argument here. How they spend it is.

To enable to be successful with a small payroll you have to have the players in your system. Reds don't.

Sorry you said small payroll. Which the Reds have the highest in the division. Payroll, market is not a valid argument here. How they spend it is.

I was replying to someone who said small market, I didn't bring it up and as I said I don't believe in small market, St. Louis has been very succesful playing in a "Small Market"

I was replying to someone who said small market, I didn't bring it up and as I said I don't believe in small market, St. Louis has been very succesful playing in a "Small Market"

Got it. My point is that we hear so much about a small market and payroll here when it's simply a misnomer. The Reds spend the money, just not wisely. I normally am on board with a lot of your views, and I agree that letting Cueto go sucks. But fiscally they are forced to do it unless there's a miracle and they can dump some of their other high priced players.

I think to summarize almost everyone on here's thoughts:

- No one "wants" to trade Cueto.

- No one thinks this team will be better or even good by trading him.

- Everyone would rather get a couple solid prospects in return for him via trade than letting him walk at season's end in free agency.

This point was brought up last year during the Reds winning streak near the Trade Deadline. If the Reds are relevant, no chance they trade him. Would it be better or worse for the organization to make the playoffs this year?

I'd say worse potentially. There was a very slim chance of them contending this year and now Homer going down eliminates any chance.

They can try all they want. They still won't win now and there are the majority in this thread that think trading Cueto will lead to winning more games which will lead to a World Series. I'm just here to tell you all that it will not happen. So instead of having players worth going to the ballpark to watch and play even though they are in a bad team, after the trade there will be very little to get excited about seeing.

You left out the key part: "in the future"

Nobody thinks that by trading Cueto the Reds are going to win more games this year. Even you yourself said you see the Reds finishing the same with or without Cueto this year.

Next year, Johnny won't be here. So the Reds have two options: 1) Get a compensatory draft pick when he goes to Free Agency or 2) Get multiple prospects via a trade. #2 is the better option which is why the Reds need to trade Cueto this year.

I'm not sure why you don't seem to get it that trading him is better for the organization long term.

You left out the key part: "in the future"

Nobody thinks that by trading Cueto the Reds are going to win more games this year. Even you yourself said you see the Reds finishing the same with or without Cueto this year.

Next year, Johnny won't be here. So the Reds have two options: 1) Get a compensatory draft pick when he goes to Free Agency or 2) Get multiple prospects via a trade. #2 is the better option which is why the Reds need to trade Cueto this year.

I'm not sure why you don't seem to get it that trading him is better for the organization long term.

If it was a garuntee Cueto wouldn't be here then yes, trade for something. My point has always been there is no garuntee he won't be here next year. No one seems to realize that maybe the reason they got rid of Latos and Simon so they could sign Cueto next year. That is why I thought they were getting rid of Latos and the All Star Simon, to clear up room for Cueto. Maybe I am way off base, but I haven't heard for a fact that the Reds weren't going to try and sign Cueto.

If it was a garuntee Cueto wouldn't be here then yes, trade for something. My point has always been there is no garuntee he won't be here next year. No one seems to realize that maybe the reason they got rid of Latos and Simon so they could sign Cueto next year. That is why I thought they were getting rid of Latos and the All Star Simon, to clear up room for Cueto. Maybe I am way off base, but I haven't heard for a fact that the Reds weren't going to try and sign Cueto.

And trading him does not preclude the Reds from signing him next season. Keeping him on the roster until the end of the year doesn't make it any more likely that he will be a Red next year. It will all be about money, length of contract and where Cueto wants to play.

Sure, they'll try, but it will be like me trying to buy American Pharoah for $20 in our auction at Saturday's Derby Party — not enough ammo.