Trading Johnny Cueto!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, and the Reds are no Cardinals.

Reds Farmsystem is no Cardinals farm system, and the Reds coaching staff is no Cardinals coaching staff.

The Reds had one of the best farm systems about 7-8 years ago. Most of those guys are now on the big league club. They haven't done a great job replacing those guys which is why they are in the position they are now. Trading Cueto and Chapman would go a long way in helping rebuild that.

So he already told you he wasn't going to resign with the Reds? I didn't know you had that kind of inside information.

I don't think it would be a good decision for the Reds to sign a 30 year old pitcher for 7 years $175 million.

Ok, again how often does that work out in the favor of the team trading the all star player?

Josh Hamilton was traded, he was the best player the Reds had, they got Edinson Volquez and Danny Herrera in the deal. How did that pan out? Volquez isn't even with the team anymore and had 1 really good year for the Reds. Rangers got the better end of the deal.

You are rolling the dice with "prospects" because you have no idea how they will do in the majors against an already proven player.

Reds haven't won it all since 1990, there is a reason they haven't.

One of the reasons is that they have continually killed themselves with the big contract. Larkin, Griffey, Dunn, BP, Homer, Votto etc.

One of the reasons is that they have continually killed themselves with the big contract. Larkin, Griffey, Dunn, BP, Homer, Votto etc.

They kill themselves not because of the big contract, but because they will only pay one player at a time when they have others just as worthy.

Larkin, Griffey (When he got here) etc. just like Votto definitley deserved the big contract, but then they blow other big contracts on players like Bailey who is a head case at best which leaves them no options to sign guys like Cueto etc.

You can't have a championship caliber team year in and year out when you are only able to afford 1 all star type player and expect middle of the road to below avg players to make up the rest of your roster.

So he already told you he wasn't going to resign with the Reds? I didn't know you had that kind of inside information.

No inside information, I'm just thinking logically. He's going to get offered $25M per year by someone. The Reds can't and won't pay that. They already have enough bad contracts. No need to add another one on top it.

He hit .250 last year and just relapsed and is owed $60 Mil over the next two years. It's not even close.

Again, we are talking about him as a player, not him as how much he is owed. I said the Reds were worse off when they traded him. I also said he was a better player than all but maybe Votto and you listed a bunch of scrubs you believe to be better. Contract had nothing to do with being a better player or not.

Again, we are talking about him as a player, not him as how much he is owed. I said the Reds were worse off when they traded him. I also said he was a better player than all but maybe Votto and you listed a bunch of scrubs you believe to be better. Contract had nothing to do with being a better player or not.

You're still wrong either way so...

No inside information, I'm just thinking logically. He's going to get offered $25M per year by someone. The Reds can't and won't pay that. They already have enough bad contracts. No need to add another one on top it.

I agree that the Reds won't pay him probably what he can get, but if they did you made it sound as if it was known he would turn it down and go elsewhere. That is what I was commenting about.

They kill themselves not because of the big contract, but because they will only pay one player at a time when they have others just as worthy.

Larkin, Griffey (When he got here) etc. just like Votto definitley deserved the big contract, but then they blow other big contracts on players like Bailey who is a head case at best which leaves them no options to sign guys like Cueto etc.

You can't have a championship caliber team year in and year out when you are only able to afford 1 all star type player and expect middle of the road to below avg players to make up the rest of your roster.

I think the problem right now is they have committed to too many players -- Votto, Phillips and Bailey.