Trading Johnny Cueto!

Yep. If the Reds are smart, and Walt has shown zero indication that he is, they'll move both Cueto and Chapman by the deadline and start building towards the 2017 season. You can get 3, possibly 4 young guys for the pair of them, and go a long way in rebuilding a weak farm system in terms of bats. They have the young arms already, need to get a handful of bats.

If they include Chapman in a trade they would definitely get better prospects than just a Cueto rental. They might even get someone to take on the bulk of Phillips contract.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Hellbird keeps saying it's never happened? In consecutive years they got rid of their 2 best players in Griffey Jr. and ARod, and in 2001 they won 114 regular season games. So yes if your scouting department is doing their job, and you can trade for the right players you can make yourself a better team.
So what gives you any indication our scouting department is doing their job? How's the Reds Farm System looking? So again you want to trade off your best players and then sit and pray they have a championship season the following year? That's how it works?

If they include Chapman in a trade they would definitely get better prospects than just a Cueto rental. They might even get someone to take on the bulk of Phillips contract.

That would be my dream scenario. Give a team Cueto and Chapman (Mets, Cubs, or Dodgers perhaps?), and get them to take Phillips off the Reds hands as well. If they could get 3 talented prospects in that deal it's a huge win for the Reds IMO.

I see the Reds finishing just ahead of the Brewers with or without Cueto, but I don't see them doing any better without him thatn with him. Now if we are rooting for the Reds to suck for years and years to come, lets not only trade off Cueto and Chapman, lets throw in Votto and Hamilton and Frazier too. Why not trade everyone that other teams are willing to take and just start all over?

The Reds aren't/can't pay him $200M+ next year so why would they not trade him? You think they are slightly ahead of the Brewers either way so why exactly would they keep him?

That would be my dream scenario. Give a team Cueto and Chapman (Mets, Cubs, or Dodgers perhaps?), and get them to take Phillips off the Reds hands as well. If they could get 3 talented prospects in that deal it's a huge win for the Reds IMO.

You all continue to miss the boat when it comes to the Reds.

The Reds #1 problem is they can't compete with the payroll they have. Getting prospects is all they can do without mortgaging the franchise and those prospects better contribute big time in their first 2 y-3 years because after that we will be seeing the same type of threads as this one with you all talking about what you can get for them if you traded them because the Reds won't pay them when their contracts are up.

So again, why even bother? It's a never ending circle we're talking about here.

So what gives you any indication our scouting department is doing their job? How's the Reds Farm System looking? So again you want to trade off your best players and then sit and pray they have a championship season the following year? That's how it works?

Ummm all the guys you are talking about have come up through the minors so I'd say they are doing OK.

Ummm all the guys you are talking about have come up through the minors so I'd say they are doing OK.

Cueto

Votto

Leake

Bailey

Bruce

Mesoraco

Frazier

Hamilton

Cozart

Iglesias

Chapman

Those guys are all from the Reds system. Looks like all the best players are guys that have come up through the system.

The Reds aren't/can't pay him $200M+ next year so why would they not trade him? You think they are slightly ahead of the Brewers either way so why exactly would they keep him?

I told everyon on here last season that this years off season (this pas off season) would be a tough one and it's all because of what they paid Homer Bailey. They couldn't keep Cueto, Bailey and Latos on the roster and more than likely one would be gone before the season started and the one that stays would be the one that ends up getting paid. Sure enough LAtos went bye bye, Cueto should get the contract he deserves but they may have already screwed up when they paid Bailey which was a mistake.

Again my point is, the Reds aren't going to pay anyone like they paid Votto again and because of that the prospects better be all stars in their first 2-3 years because that is all we will have them for.

You all continue to miss the boat when it comes to the Reds.

The Reds #1 problem is they can't compete with the payroll they have. Getting prospects is all they can do without mortgaging the franchise and those prospects better contribute big time in their first 2 y-3 years because after that we will be seeing the same type of threads as this one with you all talking about what you can get for them if you traded them because the Reds won't pay them when their contracts are up.

So again, why even bother? It's a never ending circle we're talking about here.

So your theory is they aren't going to win unless they expand the payroll?

Cueto

Votto

Leake

Bailey

Bruce

Mesoraco

Frazier

Hamilton

Cozart

Iglesias

Chapman

Those guys are all from the Reds system. Looks like all the best players are guys that have come up through the system.

Out of that list there are 2 players that are great big league players....Votto and Chapman, the rest are scrubs or a little above scrubs. Nothing to brag about. IF they were all so great the Reds would have won something....I haven't seen any of those guys win a playoff series, have you?