Trading Johnny Cueto!

The Reds have 2 options:

Option 1: Do nothing, finish in 3rd or 4th place in the division, and lose Cueto in the offseason when he signs a contract for $200M+ with only a supplemental draft pick as compensation.

Option 2: Trade Cueto by the deadline, get 1 or 2 good potentially ML ready prospects, and finish 3rd or 4th in the division. This also allows them to resign Leake in the offseason and have a few young bats to pair with Hamilton, Meso, Frazier, and Votto to build the team with.

To me it's a no-brainer. Option 2

Option 2 no doubt. Do the Reds even have a farm system?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta love a reference that goes back 15 years. 2001 was a while ago, so did the Ms win the World Series that season? lol I might have referenced the Cards letting Pujols go though.

@Hellbird keeps saying it's never happened? In consecutive years they got rid of their 2 best players in Griffey Jr. and ARod, and in 2001 they won 114 regular season games. So yes if your scouting department is doing their job, and you can trade for the right players you can make yourself a better team.

@Hellbird keeps saying it's never happened? In consecutive years they got rid of their 2 best players in Griffey Jr. and ARod, and in 2001 they won 114 regular season games. So yes if your scouting department is doing their job, and you can trade for the right players you can make yourself a better team.

Correct. Plus the guy they replaced Griffey with wasn't half bad.

Gotta love a reference that goes back 15 years. 2001 was a while ago, so did the Ms win the World Series that season? lol I might have referenced the Cards letting Pujols go though.

Okay, how about the 2013 Red Sox. In 2012 they traded away Beckett, Gonzalez and Crawford among others and won the World Series in 2013. Or even last season, they dealt Middlebrooks, Cespedes, Lester, Lackey, Peavy, Gomes, De La Rosa and others and they're a contender this season.

The Cubs got Addison Russell and Billy McKinnley for Samardzija and Jason Hammel last year. I would like to think Cueto and Chapman could get an even better return than that from some teams this year at the deadline.

We made out like bandits on that trade. We weren't going anywhere and got a stud and a guy with potential for basically nothing since we got Hammel back. I'm hoping the Cubs can acquire the shark back from the White Sox before the deadline and make a run at Cueto in the offseason.

I told you before you were wrong, and you're still wrong. It has worked out before. Just ask the 2001 Seattle Mariners.

So you think trading Cueto will get us 8 position players half of them all star quality as well as 1 ace starting pitcher and 4 middle relievers? That is what it will take to fix this team, I haven't even started on the farm system. OR will trading Cueto just make a bad team even worse and needing to fill yet another need such as a #1 starter? I seem to believe the latter is the outcome, how bout you?

The Cubs got Addison Russell and Billy McKinnley for Samardzija and Jason Hammel last year. I would like to think Cueto and Chapman could get an even better return than that from some teams this year at the deadline.

So now you want to trade the 2 best pitchers we have lol....wow is all I can say. I thought you were a Reds fan.

Okay, how about the 2013 Red Sox. In 2012 they traded away Beckett, Gonzalez and Crawford among others and won the World Series in 2013. Or even last season, they dealt Middlebrooks, Cespedes, Lester, Lackey, Peavy, Gomes, De La Rosa and others and they're a contender this season.

There we go. Knew we could do better than 2001

So you think trading Cueto will get us 8 position players half of them all star quality as well as 1 ace starting pitcher and 4 middle relievers? That is what it will take to fix this team, I haven't even started on the farm system. OR will trading Cueto just make a bad team even worse and needing to fill yet another need such as a #1 starter? I seem to believe the latter is the outcome, how bout you?

What place to do you see the Reds finishing this year with Cueto? What place do you see the Reds finishing without Cueto?

If you trade both of them to a divisional team, you might as well pack up and move the franchise to Montreal.

If they are truly going to blow up the roster I don't see why it would matter who they trade them to. Cueto is a free agent after this season and recent history suggests that him spending a half season with the Cubs will not make him any more likely to resign there. Chapman has another season but if the Reds really want to turn over the roster it will likely be 2017 before they could realistically hope to compete. He'd be a free agent by then as well.

You are talking about a team in the Red Sox that already had a ton of talent on that team and farm system. Far from trying to compare the 2012 Red Sox to the 2015 Reds, even before the trade.

If they are truly going to blow up the roster I don't see why it would matter who they trade them to. Cueto is a free agent after this season and recent history suggests that him spending a half season with the Cubs will not make him any more likely to resign there. Chapman has another season but if the Reds really want to turn over the roster it will likely be 2017 before they could realistically hope to compete. He'd be a free agent by then as well.

Yep. If the Reds are smart, and Walt has shown zero indication that he is, they'll move both Cueto and Chapman by the deadline and start building towards the 2017 season. You can get 3, possibly 4 young guys for the pair of them, and go a long way in rebuilding a weak farm system in terms of bats. They have the young arms already, need to get a handful of bats.

What place to do you see the Reds finishing this year with Cueto? What place do you see the Reds finishing without Cueto?

I see the Reds finishing just ahead of the Brewers with or without Cueto, but I don't see them doing any better without him thatn with him. Now if we are rooting for the Reds to suck for years and years to come, lets not only trade off Cueto and Chapman, lets throw in Votto and Hamilton and Frazier too. Why not trade everyone that other teams are willing to take and just start all over?

What are they going to get for him when he leaves after this season? If you aren't in the race you deal away guys that won't be with your team next season anyway and get what you can for them. Cueto is not going to be with this team in 2016 whether he is traded or not. Might as well get something for him.

How did that work out for the Red Sox in 2012 when they traded away 3 of their best players? Seems like they had a decent year the next season.