Trading Johnny Cueto!

The Reds are in a great position to compete in the near future even with a trade of Cueto. I don't think it will be a total long rebuding process. The good thing is like many others have said the Reds don't necessarily need a return of pitching prospects. The Reds have arms not that far away, if they can add some young bats into the mix they will compete again in 2017.

They have Desclafani, Stephenson, Lorenzen, Iglesias, Moscot, Howard, Travieso, Garrett and Crawford which is a nice group of talented arms to choose from. Leake could still be in the mix as well.

The Reds need to add some outfield and middle infield prospects to pair with Votto, Mesoraco and Hamilton. Trading Cueoto and maybe Chapman would certainly help, I'd love to hold on to Chapman.

Winker should be the left fielder of the future and Phil Ervin has rebounded nicely this year and could maybe be ready to take over right field. Suarez at SS and Blandino at 2nd.

Sparks or SMB at 3rd. This is just based off of what's in the farm currently without acquiring anyone.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ The Reds position players in the minors stink.

They are middle of the pack, not great but they don't stink. Rather than having a bunch of superstars they have a lot of high upside toolsy guys. As a Reds fan none of us want to hear this but it could be worse. They are restocking the farm and trades of Cueto and Chappy would certainly help. The pitching prospects are top notch and that goes a long way in terms of competing in a couple years. It's not like the bats have been slamming the cover off the ball the last couple seasons. I'm just excited about seeing some new faces, I'm not sure the offense could get anymore frustrating.

Fay tweeted yesterday that Winkler is hitting .211 in AA. He will fit right in.

How early is the season? He's still showing better plate discipline than anyone on the Reds team other than Votto. At this point his average is a product of hard hit balls not finding any holes. He's hitting .250 with 2 HRs, 5 RBI, 7BB and 10 Ks in his last ten. He got a cup of water last year but It's his first prolonged taste of AA, He's going to be just fine.

The Cubs got Addison Russell and Billy McKinnley for Samardzija and Jason Hammel last year. I would like to think Cueto and Chapman could get an even better return than that from some teams this year at the deadline.

The Cubs got Addison Russell and Billy McKinnley for Samardzija and Jason Hammel last year. I would like to think Cueto and Chapman could get an even better return than that from some teams this year at the deadline.

If you trade both of them to a divisional team, you might as well pack up and move the franchise to Montreal.

The Dodgers, Red Sox, Nationals and Mets strike me as good trade partners. They all have a good number of high level prospects and they are all organizations that seem to be committed to winning. I think the Reds could end up getting two top 100 prospects and another lesser prospect in return for Cueto. He's the top deadline trade chip available this season. Teams that are in the race and have the pieces to make a deal are going to be battling to acquire Cueto.

Is now maybe the time to reach out to the Dodgers with an offer to trade Cueto? They just lost McCarthy for the season and Ryu is still sidelined with a shoulder issue. Brittle Brett Anderson is their #3 behind Kershaw and Greinke. The Dodgers have unlimited resources and a healthy farm system and Cueto could give them what they need to run the table in the post season. What say you?

Why?

Why would you trade one of your best players? I hate conversations like this. Never makes sense to trade your best and expect your team to get better. It never works out that way.

Trade your best pitcher to get a so so pitcher in return and another so so position player in return? Stupid.

Why?

Why would you trade one of your best players? I hate conversations like this. Never makes sense to trade your best and expect your team to get better. It never works out that way.

Trade your best pitcher to get a so so pitcher in return and another so so position player in return? Stupid.

Is Cueto helping them win now? He's a stud, but the team has so many holes and bad contracts it's time for a rebuild. If any team can potentially absorb the loss of Cueto to its starting rotation it's the Reds with their plethora of arms.

You wouldn't trade half a season of Cueto, who the Reds can't afford after this season for a player such as an Addison Russell or Wil Meyers just to use an example of guys traded in recent years.

It makes it pretty easy when you know you can't resign him, the chances of winning this season are slim, you have major holes at several positions and your farm is stacked with very high upside replacements for Cueto.

Also, I'd hope the Reds would be smart enough than to ask for pitching in return. The main one or two pieces the reds get back in any deal better be position players, the only pitching should be a throw in type player unless it's an offer that's just to good to refuse.

Why?

In theory it is stupid. However when you pay your 4th best pitcher at the time a 100 million+ contract, you can't keep the other ones. Hence no Cueto, Arroyo, Latos, and maybe Leake. The Reds continue to hamstring their organization with incredibly bad contracts.

No one is expecting to trade Cueto and the team to be better right away. If you can't see the bigger picture I can't really help with that.

Yep. Unfortunately they will have to do it. Right now there is very little they can do that will immediately make them better. They have put all of their eggs in a few baskets, and those eggs aren't hatching.

Why?

I told you before you were wrong, and you're still wrong. It has worked out before. Just ask the 2001 Seattle Mariners.

The Dodgers, Red Sox, Nationals and Mets strike me as good trade partners. They all have a good number of high level prospects and they are all organizations that seem to be committed to winning. I think the Reds could end up getting two top 100 prospects and another lesser prospect in return for Cueto. He's the top deadline trade chip available this season. Teams that are in the race and have the pieces to make a deal are going to be battling to acquire Cueto.

You're way off on the Nationals. They are loaded with arms they can't afford, so why would they take on a "rental" with no hope of resigning? Strasburg & Zimmerman are probably gone when they hit FA, if not before, and they are current Nationals. Fister, Gio, Scherzer and top bullpen and minor league arms are where they are headed. They had quality starters they couldn't fit into the rotation this year!

I told you before you were wrong, and you're still wrong. It has worked out before. Just ask the 2001 Seattle Mariners.

Gotta love a reference that goes back 15 years. 2001 was a while ago, so did the Ms win the World Series that season? lol I might have referenced the Cards letting Pujols go though.

The Reds have 2 options:

Option 1: Do nothing, finish in 3rd or 4th place in the division, and lose Cueto in the offseason when he signs a contract for $200M+ with only a supplemental draft pick as compensation.

Option 2: Trade Cueto by the deadline, get 1 or 2 good potentially ML ready prospects, and finish 3rd or 4th in the division. This also allows them to resign Leake in the offseason and have a few young bats to pair with Hamilton, Meso, Frazier, and Votto to build the team with.

To me it's a no-brainer. Option 2