Family outraged after son's mug shot found used in target practice by Miami police

HOMELESS CAMEL

I shot white guys at the range for years. Beats the pants off bowling pins.

badguy_crop.jpg

Understand that, and know what you're going for, but at the same time, the color of the paper isn't really the issue. The fact that this is the likeness of an identifiable person is where things get sticky. Maybe it's a war tactic to have snipers shooting realistic pictures of Bin Ladin, Gaddafi, or Castro and it's one thing, but that's not really what's going on here. I think there's a serious problem with using actual people's pictures for target practice unless there's a direct order that they are to be killed on sight, racial implications aside.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A trip to a Florida gun range left a National Guard soldier in tears when the face of her own brother was found being used as target practice by Miami police.

The extremely disturbing sight, showing a then-18-year-old Woody Deant with bullet holes in his eye and forehead, joined several other booking photos entirely of African American men, Deant's outraged family told NBC Miami.

Miami police defends use of mug shots in target practice - NY Daily News

I've said it before. Not every cop deserves to wear the badge. Complete bonehead decision by the officers.

So....is this a common practice at all these facilities? I am uncomfortable with the thought that real people are used as targets. Not just a black or white or purple, any. These are real people that live in this communkty. VERY unsettling to me.

Understand that, and know what you're going for, but at the same time, the color of the paper isn't really the issue. The fact that this is the likeness of an identifiable person is where things get sticky. Maybe it's a war tactic to have snipers shooting realistic pictures of Bin Ladin, Gaddafi, or Castro and it's one thing, but that's not really what's going on here. I think there's a serious problem with using actual people's pictures for target practice unless there's a direct order that they are to be killed on sight, racial implications aside.

Should have read the whole thread. This is what I'm trying to convey.

My good gracious . I guess I'm certainly in the minority here , I see nothing to get all riled about . ( didnt read the link , just saw they used someones mug shot for practice ) -- So if the pic was of a Latino should they be mad ? White guy ? I guess all photo's need to be off limits so we dont offend anyone . We all need to grow up and quit searching for reasons to be offended .

I am definitely concerned, regardless of race, that photos of actual people in the community are being used. Shoot, you get your mug shot taken for a DUI just like a guy who committed murder. You can't even say with certainty that these were dangerous criminals. Just very, very unsettling to think of.

I am definitely concerned, regardless of race, that photos of actual people in the community are being used. Shoot, you get your mug shot taken for a DUI just like a guy who committed murder. You can't even say with certainty that these were dangerous criminals. Just very, very unsettling to think of.
Why is this so unsettling to think of?

We dont have much a clue about the races of that particular location during that certain time period . National averages would mean next to nothing IMO . Is Lexington going to be even close to Detroit ? JMO but I cant believe the cops spent time picking out anyone , regardless of race , to take some target practice at . I cant imagine picking up a mug shot of some white tat necked redneck and making a choice to throw that pic down to pick up a black guys ... now if true , thats one messed up cop who doesnt deserve to be a cop.

I don't think you understood what I was going for at all. I was trying to add a little humor to the situation.

For the record, I think using real images is a huge mistake. I would like to see each department use computerized, human like images that are statistically relevant to the violent offenders in their area of the USA.

I don't think you understood what I was going for at all. I was trying to add a little humor to the situation.

For the record, I think using real images is a huge mistake. I would like to see each department use computerized, human like images that are statistically relevant to the violent offenders in their area of the USA.

No, I understood completely, I was just making the point for people who saw what you wrote and thought, "see, it's a white guy, we're even".

True. Really hard to show through in type. I'm pretty expressive when I talk in terms of using hand motions, faces, and things like that when I'm talking, but that doesn't really come through here.

Nope, sure doesn't. :thumb: