Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Family outraged after son's mug shot found used in target practice by Miami police

Featured Replies

It's certainly possible then.

 

No doubt. Six and a half times out of 10,000.

  • Replies 69
  • Views 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FWIW, to me this looks like a photo lineup. That would explain why all 6 are black.

 

Probably correct on that. Still looks bad on behalf of the police.

Racial discrimination perhaps?

 

How would that work? Don't think he was denied anything.

Agree wholeheartedly. Just not sure what there is to sue about.

 

Nothing. Would not see the light of day. There will be a big public apology and some type of plan put in place to address this stupidity and then everyone will forget about it.

 

Probably correct on that. Still looks bad on behalf of the police.

 

I agree

Man, I hate this piece of glossy paper that belongs to the police. I think i'll shoot it. Man, I hope nobody sues.

My good gracious . I guess I'm certainly in the minority here , I see nothing to get all riled about . ( didnt read the link , just saw they used someones mug shot for practice ) -- So if the pic was of a Latino should they be mad ? White guy ? I guess all photo's need to be off limits so we dont offend anyone . We all need to grow up and quit searching for reasons to be offended .

Here's the math, assuming that there is a 4 in 10 chance of a certain event occurring.

 

Twice in a row - .16

X3 - .064

X4 - .0256

X5 - .01024

X6 - .004086

X7 - .0016384

X8 - .0006553

 

 

Just sayin'.

 

 

You beat me too it papa. I didn't have my calculator handy...was chucking it by hand.

 

 

In terms of odds.... the odds against eight photos all being black men.... about 1,525 to 1.

 

For just six men, the odds against all photos being black men .... about 243 to 1 .

 

Trust me..... Not likely random sample...NOT at all !!!!

Edited by Science Friction

 

You beat me too it papa. I didn't have my calculator handy...was chucking it by hand.

 

In terms of odds.... the odds against eight photos all being black men.... about 1,527 to 1.

 

For just six men, the odds against all photos being black men .... about 243 to 1 .

 

Trust me..... Not likely random sample...NOT at all !!!!

 

Like I said, it looks like a photo lineup. That would explain why all 6 are black. Could be wrong though.

Yeah I'm sure they spent hours digging thru photos and screamed " lets go shoot some black guys for practice" And you statician's are cracking me up ... you dont know what the sample size of photos was so your numbers are total guess's .

Edited by Manitoudan

Yeah I'm sure they spent hours digging thru photos and screamed " lets go shoot some black guys for practice" And you statician's are cracking me up ... you dont know what the sample size of photos was so your numbers are total guess's .

 

They're going off the national percentages of total incarcerated blacks compared to total people incarcerated. They aren't exact, but they paint a fairly accurate picture.

Those would be the odds if the photos were selected at random from the prison/jail population of which about 40% are black.

They're going off the national percentages of total incarcerated blacks compared to total people incarcerated. They aren't exact, but they paint a fairly accurate picture.

 

 

Correct. They do indeed.

Pretty good chance that someone can make a valid claim for a hostile workplace if this was combined with other incidents. In a department of that size, there could well be a citizen or former employee who had a pending claim against one of the parties or supervisors involved regarding this type of thing who was just written a free pass with few other questions asked. The Department will want this to go away and fast. The fact that it was the brother of a member of the National Guard will make quite a sympathetic plaintiff. If you are the guy who claimed arrest or firing based on racial discrimination 3 weeks ago, whether meritorious or not, then you are definitely helped by the development. Talk about a real mess... what if one of the officers involved was involved in a controversial shooting-- think that could get ugly?

 

I'll say this: glad I didn't start this thread & if this were a case where group members were using the mugshots of police officers, politicians, or something like that for target practice and it was discovered, then I think it's a safe assumption that there'd be some outrage from the department and that they wouldn't be buying the "random sample" bit.

Yeah I'm sure they spent hours digging thru photos and screamed " lets go shoot some black guys for practice" And you statician's are cracking me up ... you dont know what the sample size of photos was so your numbers are total guess's .

 

 

Actually, that's something I have some experience with. If there's a 40% chance of an event occurring, the numbers are EXACT. Sample size doesn't enter into the equation.

 

And I'm not all jacked up about the situation - just quantifying the odds.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.