Another NKY school is getting Turf

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry but I believe the best grass surface in NKY has always been at Ludlow. The crew at Ludlow has always done an incredibile job each year of having the field in the best shape possible each year.

I have only seen Ludlows field in week 9. By then there is no grass what so ever. Everyone has an opinion.

I have only seen Ludlows field in week 9. By then there is no grass what so ever. Everyone has an opinion.

Wow what are you seeing?? I have played on that field and watched games on the field all my life and I have never seen the field without grass what so ever like you said.... By week nine yeah the grass in the middle of the field is starting to get worn out, but it still it in better shape for being week 9 than most fields. And well outside of the grass there is always grass no matter what week it is during the season....

Wow what are you seeing?? I have played on that field and watched games on the field all my life and I have never seen the field without grass what so ever like you said.... By week nine yeah the grass in the middle of the field is starting to get worn out, but it still it in better shape for being week 9 than most fields. And well outside of the grass there is always grass no matter what week it is during the season....

Week 10 2004. The field was not in very good shape, mostly dirt. I am NOT CRITICIZING Ludlows field. Just telling about my experience at the field.

I seen today that they where off loading some Heavy equipment in the lot. So keep your fingers crossed !!!:jump: :jump: :jump:

There getting closer with the pipe for the field ! Hopefully the rest will be starting soon and taking shape !:thumb:

Week 10 2004. The field was not in very good shape, mostly dirt. I am NOT CRITICIZING Ludlows field. Just telling about my experience at the field.

They're a sensitive bunch sml. I too have seen a pretty worn out field late in the season. However, Holmes is very rarely ever worn out. That's the purpose of Bermuda.:thumb:

They're a sensitive bunch sml. I too have seen a pretty worn out field late in the season. However, Holmes is very rarely ever worn out. That's the purpose of Bermuda.:thumb:

Thanks Sticky. I was beginning to get a little teary eyed because people were picking on me:thumb:

As someone who was pretty familiar with Highlands field when it was Bermuda, even Bermuda has its limitations. After the first hard frost, it stops growing. Once it stops growing, its is very susceptible to getting torn up in chunks, particularly in wet weather. I lot of schools overcast it with fast growing annual rye late in the year to combat that problem. Without meaning to insult Holmes, the reason their field may have held up so well is the fact that they probably didn't play many playoff games on it which occur after the first frost usually.

I do know that if you have Bermuda, their probably no better person to have work on it or consult with than Mike Vescio. His company I think is from Cynthiana or Paris as I recall. Highlands also used to consult with a fellow at UK ( I don't remember his last name, he was Dr. so and so).

As someone who was pretty familiar with Highlands field when it was Bermuda, even Bermuda has its limitations. After the first hard frost, it stops growing. Once it stops growing, its is very susceptible to getting torn up in chunks, particularly in wet weather. I lot of schools overcast it with fast growing annual rye late in the year to combat that problem. Without meaning to insult Holmes, the reason their field may have held up so well is the fact that they probably didn't play many playoff games on it which occur after the first frost usually.

I do know that if you have Bermuda, their probably no better person to have work on it or consult with than Mike Vescio. His company I think is from Cynthiana or Paris as I recall. Highlands also used to consult with a fellow at UK ( I don't remember his last name, he was Dr. so and so).

I never meant to come off like Bermuda was indestructible. Holmes gets double duty though with Holy Cross playing there. It's in great shape, especially when you compare it to old Newport Stadium with two teams playing on it. If Holmes or HC doesn't get one playoff game, that field still hosts more games than most state champions.

I agree though, it can tear up. Almost like divots but at least there's grass to tear up at that point. IMO, Newport needed field turf more than any school in NKY...well maybe Dixie.

I never meant to come off like Bermuda was indestructible. Holmes gets double duty though with Holy Cross playing there. It's in great shape, especially when you compare it to old Newport Stadium with two teams playing on it. If Holmes or HC doesn't get one playoff game, that field still hosts more games than most state champions.

I agree though, it can tear up. Almost like divots but at least there's grass to tear up at that point. IMO, Newport needed field turf more than any school in NKY...well maybe Dixie.

And I didn't mean to imply that you felt it was indestructible. If those games that Holmes and HC are playing occur before the first hard frost, any divots, with a lot of water and some hot weather, grow back in usually within a week.

During the heat of summer, which Bermuda loves, you need to water it every day and cut it almost every other day. By cutting it so often, you stimulate the roots to grow laterally a lot.

Prolonged hard winter freezes are really tough on Bermuda (and can kill it). Perhaps a blessing of global warming is the fact we haven't had a prolonged hard winter in some time!

Add Newport and well I guess NCC also to the list of NKY schools that will have turf. Newport school board voted for the turf and it will be put in for this season. They were taking measurements the other day for it.

Finally, Newport stadium will no longer be one of the worst playing surfaces in KY.:ylsuper:

Too bad it wasnt installed last year for that Bellevue/NCC matchup. The fans would have actually gotten their money's worth.

I heard that Dixie's field hit another snag.... something about a water line? Has anyone else heard anything?

Am I correct that Dixie is actually moving their field location and not just simply putting turf down over the old field?

I assume they will also have to move the stands and pressbox?

Am I correct that Dixie is actually moving their field location and not just simply putting turf down over the old field?

I assume they will also have to move the stands and pressbox?

You are correct. It will be at a 45 degree angle with Dixie Highway. New stands, pressbox, and concessions will be built. Stands will be on both sides of the field. The concession building looks to contain locker rooms too as it will be two levels.