Basketball in KY needs to be classified...

I understand "everyone" loves the event, the perks, and the KHSAA makes a lot of money off of the Sweet 16 so I don't expect them to tinker with the cash cow but it is still not fair.

This is such a lame excuse. I know it's not yours Guru but for all of the people to say "This event is KY basketball." You know what, keep sixteen football finalists together, in a central location, and playing over a couple of weekends and it will make the basketball "cash cow" look like a rented mule. I'm sorry, I just can't stand that excuse. Just because it's always been done that way doesn't mean it's right.

What if they classify, still use the Sweet 16 tournament format and just have two state championships. In essence, it would be two elite eight tournaments.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not stop at Basketball, since 1990 only one team smaller than AAA has won a Baseball title either. In that time, in Baseball, the State Title has been won by:

AAAA -- 7 times

AAA -- 8 times

AA -- 0 Times

A - 1 time

While we're on Baseball too, let's classify Soccer too. Since 1990 ZERO teams smaller than AAA have won a title, and, by the way, zero winners have been outside of Louisville and / or Lexington.

AAAA -- 15 times

AAA -- 1 time

AA -- 0 times

A -- 0 times

Luckily they're "fixing" football.:rolleyes:

Basketball needs to be classified. The 1A and 2A schools have almost no chance and it is not fair to the smaller schools to have to compete with schools several times bigger than their school.

I understand "everyone" loves the event, the perks, and the KHSAA makes a lot of money off of the Sweet 16 so I don't expect them to tinker with the cash cow but it is still not fair.

What I really don't like is all the public schools powers that be jumping up and down claiming the private schools have unfair advantages (this debate is for another thread) so they are changing the rules to level the playing field but at the same time these same powers that be are doing nothing to change the Sweet 16 which is grossly unfair to small schools.

Hypocrisy is a horrible thing.

The last class 1a size school to win the sweet 16 was Paintsville in 1996 and the last class 2a school to win was E-town in 2000. Schools in either class 1a or 2a have comprised 20% of the final fours during the last 10 years and 15% of the championship game teams.

We are down to the final eight teams in the Sweet 16 and of the teams left 6 of the 8 are 4A schools and the other 2 are 3A schools. Add to that the two small schools in the Sweet 16 lost their first round games by an average of 26 points to two 4A teams. Furthermore, none of the teams in the All A Classic even made it to the Sweet 16.

Basketball needs to be classified. The 1A and 2A schools have almost no chance and it is not fair to the smaller schools to have to compete with schools several times bigger than their school.

What I really don't like is all the public schools powers that be jumping up and down claiming the private schools have unfair advantages (this debate is for another thread) so they are changing the rules to level the playing field but at the same time these same powers that be are doing nothing to change the Sweet 16 which is grossly unfair to small schools.

To the people who think winning the Sweet 16 is harder than taking the 4A title away from the Big 3 in football.........you're crazy.

To the small school hopefuls, if you are satisfied with small school kids getting a championship every 15-20 years........you're crazy.

To the small schools who think winning a Regional Chamionship is anywhere near the equivalent of a football championship.......you're crazy.

If you think that it wouldn't be just as cool for 4 high school teams to win a State Title in basketball........you're crazy.

There are some KY basketball purists who would whine & cry every year if the Sweet 16 were abolished in favor of a class structure. All I can say is, its not about those guys, its about the kids and giving them a fair playing field. Lots of these kids will look back on their high school years as the best times of their lives because after their playing days are over life seems not so fair.

Why not give them a chance to at least say "I won a high school championship in 20??"

Ru, it is total hypocrisy and I think most people with an open mind will admit that. You don't have to be in favor of creating separate classes for basketball to conclude the KHSAA's position on classifying football vs not classifying basketball is as you stated hypocritical.

The part I "love" (as I wipe the sarcasm off my chin) is reading the posts justifying the need for 6 classes in football (more kids can say they won state, increase participation in the playoffs, prolonging the season for everyone so that not only the traditionally successful programs get the benefit of weeks of additional practice each year, having more classes won't devalue the claim of winning state, a kid with a ring will still have a lot of pride even if there are 6 classes, etc) and then reading some of the posts about why we should not have classes in basketball. Its one way or the other folks and Ru is correct: things as they are illogical and hypocritical.

Here, for the record, is the breakdown of the Basketball Championships since 1990 (remember, Mason Co. was still AA when they won in 2003):

AAAA -- 6 times

AAA -- 6 times

AA -- 2 times

A -- 2 times

Actually, it is far more equitable than their neighbors on the Diamonds and the "pitch"es.

We are down to the final eight teams in the Sweet 16 and of the teams left 6 of the 8 are 4A schools and the other 2 are 3A schools. Add to that the two small schools in the Sweet 16 lost their first round games by an average of 26 points to two 4A teams. Furthermore, none of the teams in the All A Classic even made it to the Sweet 16.

Theres a part of me that agrees most defiantly but a part that would hate to change a good thing.Mason County is 3a but only by a few students they was always 2a up until the last couple years and they have always done well.But i agree with A class teams virtually no chance.

Here, for the record, is the breakdown of the Basketball Championships since 1990 (remember, Mason Co. was still AA when they won in 2003):

AAAA -- 6 times

AAA -- 6 times

AA -- 2 times

A -- 2 times

Actually, it is far more equitable than their neighbors on the Diamonds and the "pitch"es.

2 of the 4 small schools were "on their way up", classification wise. Correct?

AAAA -- 6 times

AAA -- 6 times

AA -- 2 times

A -- 2 times

And they went 3a in 04 when they were runners up but only by a handful of kids so no real differnce there either.