Basketball in KY needs to be classified...

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the people who think winning the Sweet 16 is harder than taking the 4A title away from the Big 3 in football.........you're crazy.

To the small school hopefuls, if you are satisfied with small school kids getting a championship every 15-20 years........you're crazy.

To the small schools who think winning a Regional Chamionship is anywhere near the equivalent of a football championship.......you're crazy.

If you think that it wouldn't be just as cool for 4 high school teams to win a State Title in basketball........you're crazy.

There are some KY basketball purists who would whine & cry every year if the Sweet 16 were abolished in favor of a class structure. All I can say is, its not about those guys, its about the kids and giving them a fair playing field. Lots of these kids will look back on their high school years as the best times of their lives because after their playing days are over life seems not so fair.

Why not give them a chance to at least say "I won a high school championship in 20??"

:thumb: :thumb:

Girls Winners since 1990

1990 Henry Clay (Bob Tripure)

1991 Laurel County (Walter Hulett)

1992 Mercy (Leslie Scully)

1993 Nicholas County (Barbara Kenney)

1994 M.C. Napier (Randy Napier)

1995 Scott County (Wayne Atkins)

1996 Union County (Gerald Tabor)

1997 Hazard (Bill Fannin)

1998 Elizabethtown (Tim Mudd)

1999 Lexington Catholic (Bob Tripure)

2000 West Carter (John "Hop" Brown)

2001 Lexington Catholic (Greg Todd)

2002 Sacred Heart (Donna Moir)

2003 Sacred Heart (Donna Moir)

2004 Sacred Heart (Donna Moir)

2005 Lexington Catholic (Greg Todd)

Boys Winners since 1990

1990 Fairdale (Stan Hardin)

1991 Fairdale (Stan Hardin)

1992 University Heights (Jeff Jackson)

1993 Marion County (Tim Davis)

1994 Fairdale (Lloyd Gardner)

1995 Breckinridge County (Dean Hobbs)

1996 Paintsville (Bill Runyon)

1997 Eastern (Bryce Hibbard)

1998 Scott County (Billy Hicks)

1999 Ballard (Chris Renner)

2000 Elizabethtown (James Haire)

2001 Lafayette (Don Adkins)

2002 Lexington Catholic (Danny Haney)

2003 Mason County (Kelly Wells)

2004 Warren Central (Tim Riley)

2005 South Laurel (Steve Wright)

RUSH

The Trees

There is unrest in the forest,

There is trouble with the trees,

For the maples want more sunlight

And the oaks ignore their pleas.

The trouble with the maples,

(And they're quite convinced they're right)

They say the oaks are just too lofty

And they grab up all the light.

But the oaks can't help their feelings

If they like the way they're made.

And they wonder why the maples

Can't be happy in their shade.

There is trouble in the forest,

And the creatures all have fled,

As the maples scream "Oppression!"

And the oaks just shake their heads

So the maples formed a union

And demanded equal rights.

"The oaks are just too greedy;

We will make them give us light."

Now there's no more oak oppression,

For they passed a noble law,

And the trees are all kept equal

By hatchet, axe, and saw.

The "Sweet 16" is the greatest show in hoops. Please do not mess with it. There is no other HS State Tourney like it. It's One for All and All for One.

Again, which doesn't mean it's right. Don't you think there's a reason that "There is no other HS State Tourney like it"?

The "Sweet 16" is the greatest show in hoops. Please do not mess with it. There is no other HS State Tourney like it. It's One for All and All for One.

I think the argument is that it is not all for one, but all for a certain type of school (whether that is a large school on the boys side or a private school on the girls side) and if you are not that type of school, enjoy your seats and please buy a souvenier tshirt on your way out.

Then you would agree we should do the same thing for football to create the same type of atmosphere and sense of accomplishment. Get rid of the classes or at a minimum, not dilute them anymore than they already are, correct?

Debates like this drive me crazy.

The small schools cant compete with the big schools. The public schools cant compete with the private schools. Blah blah blah blah.

I understand the numbers game that goes on in both of these debates, but IMO it doesnt matter.

If you change it up then all you do is water down the validity of the championships that these smaller schools and public schools will be winning because the level of competition will be watered down. Sure its tough for small schools to compete in basketball and public schools to compete in football, but that is why it is so special when one of these schools can make it all the way and win it all.

In football I can understand the need for a 1a, 2a, 3a, 4a classification, but in basketball. Comeon.

I would even like to see the champion of 1a 2a 3a and 4a in football square of in a minature tourney so that we could crown an All Out Football Champion.

The small schools cant compete with the big schools. The public schools cant compete with the private schools. Blah blah blah blah.

I understand the numbers game that goes on in both of these debates, but IMO it doesnt matter.

If you change it up then all you do is water down the validity of the championships that these smaller schools and public schools will be winning because the level of competition will be watered down.

In football I can understand the need for classification, but in basketball. Comeon.

Than you obviously don't understand basketball. How can you possibly say you get it in football but not basketball? Or any other sport for that matter. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

If you change it up then all you do is water down the validity of the championships that these smaller schools and public schools will be winning because the level of competition will be watered down.

In football I can understand the need for classification, but in basketball. Comeon.

I see your point. It is very fair to have a school with 1,000 boys to choose from in getting your 6 or 7 you need in comparison to having 60 boys to choose from in getting your 6 or 7 you need. You're right! THis is very fair.

Please include heavy dose of sarcasm with the above post.

We are down to the final eight teams in the Sweet 16 and of the teams left 6 of the 8 are 4A schools and the other 2 are 3A schools. Add to that the two small schools in the Sweet 16 lost their first round games by an average of 26 points to two 4A teams. Furthermore, none of the teams in the All A Classic even made it to the Sweet 16.

Basketball needs to be classified. The 1A and 2A schools have almost no chance and it is not fair to the smaller schools to have to compete with schools several times bigger than their school.

I understand "everyone" loves the event, the perks, and the KHSAA makes a lot of money off of the Sweet 16 so I don't expect them to tinker with the cash cow but it is still not fair.

What I really don't like is all the public schools powers that be jumping up and down claiming the private schools have unfair advantages (this debate is for another thread) so they are changing the rules to level the playing field but at the same time these same powers that be are doing nothing to change the Sweet 16 which is grossly unfair to small schools.

Hypocrisy is a horrible thing.

:thumb:

To the people who think winning the Sweet 16 is harder than taking the 4A title away from the Big 3 in football.........you're crazy.

To the small school hopefuls, if you are satisfied with small school kids getting a championship every 15-20 years........you're crazy.

To the small schools who think winning a Regional Chamionship is anywhere near the equivalent of a football championship.......you're crazy.

If you think that it wouldn't be just as cool for 4 high school teams to win a State Title in basketball........you're crazy.

There are some KY basketball purists who would whine & cry every year if the Sweet 16 were abolished in favor of a class structure. All I can say is, its not about those guys, its about the kids and giving them a fair playing field. Lots of these kids will look back on their high school years as the best times of their lives because after their playing days are over life seems not so fair.

Why not give them a chance to at least say "I won a high school championship in 20??"

I personally wouldnt want to win a HS championship that was watered down by a class system that made it that much easier for me to do so.

Can you really claim to be the KY HS champion when there are 4 or 5 other champions as well.

I personally wouldnt want to win a HS championship that was watered down by a class system that made it that much easier for me to do so.

Can you really claim to be the KY HS champion when there are 4 or 5 other champions as well.

Doesn't seem to be a problem in football? Or are you saying all of those champions are not true champions?

Than you obviously don't understand basketball. How can you possibly say you get it in football but not basketball? Or any other sport for that matter. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

I also said that those classes in football need to be paired up in a tourney so that we could crown an All Out Football Champion.

If you classify in basketball, fine. But I would say the same thing about the basketball classes. Pair them up and let them play a mini tourney so that we could crown an All Out Basketball Champion.

I am not a hypocrite my friend. Read the whole post.