Basketball in KY needs to be classified...

We are down to the final eight teams in the Sweet 16 and of the teams left 6 of the 8 are 4A schools and the other 2 are 3A schools. Add to that the two small schools in the Sweet 16 lost their first round games by an average of 26 points to two 4A teams. Furthermore, none of the teams in the All A Classic even made it to the Sweet 16.

Basketball needs to be classified. The 1A and 2A schools have almost no chance and it is not fair to the smaller schools to have to compete with schools several times bigger than their school.

I understand "everyone" loves the event, the perks, and the KHSAA makes a lot of money off of the Sweet 16 so I don't expect them to tinker with the cash cow but it is still not fair.

What I really don't like is all the public schools powers that be jumping up and down claiming the private schools have unfair advantages (this debate is for another thread) so they are changing the rules to level the playing field but at the same time these same powers that be are doing nothing to change the Sweet 16 which is grossly unfair to small schools.

Hypocrisy is a horrible thing.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No change needed, go to WVa state tourney, including the secitonals, and regionals and tell me if it needs changed then.

There were only 3 bad games in the 1st RD, (Russell, Hazard, and Boyle)

Winning a region is like winning state in a lot of other sports and winning the Sweet 16 is the greatest accomplishment in HS sports....period

Winning a region is like winning state in a lot of other sports and winning the Sweet 16 is the greatest accomplishment in HS sports....period

So right, so right. I've had a few football coaches tell me that winning state in football is easier than winning a region in basketball.

Is anybody who posted on this thread from a small school? Somehow I doubt it or you would probaly feel different. None of the 3A or 4A schools want to change anything, and why would they. They don't care about things being fair, they could care less. Other sports are classified, why not basketball. It would only make things more fair, that's all. KHSAA would still make money, more money. For these small schools it is hard to look those kids in the face and tell them they have a shot because realistically they don't. Maybe once every 10 years a squad will come around who have a legit chance to win it. Once every 10 years is not fair. B-ball needs to be fair, it needs to be classified.JMO

It's like winning a state championship. The Sweet Sixteen is an amazing accomplishment, even for the big 4A schools. But it's not fair to small schools who can't compete because of numbers. It's just not fair..... PERIOD. I really don't see how people can say it is but then again it's the 4A & 3A private schools who make all the $$$$, so if they're happy than everything is just fine. Come On, give me a break. Make it fair.

So right, so right. I've had a few football coaches tell me that winning state in football is easier than winning a region in basketball.

Who, that's just absurd. I don't believe that one bit, not for a minute. Tell that to Russell's coach or Belfry's coach. Ask those coaches how hard it is to when a state championship or even get to the championship game. I think you'd have an argument on your hands.

And if you were told that, it was from a big 4A school who has 1500 male athletes to choose from. I'd probaly believe that.

Who, that's just absurd. I don't believe that one bit, not for a minute. Tell that to Russell's coach or Belfry's coach. Ask those coaches how hard it is to when a state championship or even get to the championship game. I think you'd have an argument on your hands.

Easy. It's not absurd at all, it's the truth. Football coaches with state rings were the ones who said this.

I'd be happy to tell the Russell or Belfry coaching staff that winning a region in many areas of the state is more difficult than winning AA in football. It just is. How many really good teams do you have to beat to win the AA title? One, maybe two, at most.

CovCath went, Holy Cross, Holmes, Ryle, Highlands, NewCath win the ninth this year. A bit tougher than what Russell or Belfry had to face.

And if you were told that, it was from a big 4A school who has 1500 male athletes to choose from. I'd probaly believe that.

Calling me a liar, is probably some sort of rules violation, so lets just assume I was told this.:thumb: That being said it wasn't from Trinity or St. X. Or any other Lousiville school.