Basketball in KY needs to be classified...

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally wouldnt want to win a HS championship that was watered down by a class system that made it that much easier for me to do so.

Can you really claim to be the KY HS champion when there are 4 or 5 other champions as well.

Yet there was all the complaining about Bell being "cheated" out of a state championship because of Michael Mitchell. It seemed like you cared about winning 1 of 4 "watered down" titles then.:rolleyes:

I also said that those classes in football need to be paired up in a tourney so that we could crown an All Out Football Champion.

If you classify in basketball, fine. But I would say the same thing about the basketball classes. Pair them up and let them play a mini tourney so that we could crown an All Out Basketball Champion.

I am not a hypocrite my friend. Read the whole post.

I read the whole post, you edited it later. Still changes nothing. What you are suggesting in football is what we do in basketball. The difference is the smaller schools are eliminated earlier so you can see a "Top 16." What you are suggesting would give us a top 1, 5, 9 and 13.

I see your point. It is very fair to have a school with 1,000 boys to choose from in getting your 6 or 7 you need in comparison to having 60 boys to choose from in getting your 6 or 7 you need. You're right! THis is very fair.

Please include heavy dose of sarcasm with the above post.

I never said it was fair.

What I did say was it ensured the validity of whoever wins the championship as deserving of that championship.

Sure it sucks for the small schools and the public schools, but that is why a championship is soooooo special, because it is soooooo hard to achieve.

For the record I am from an extremely small 3A public school, bordering 2A enrollment. My school has seen 1 football championship, and no basketball championships.

I hate repeatin myself.

Like I said..... pair those teams up. Have a mini playoff. Crown an All Out Football Champion.

And like I questioned, do you now, presently with the state in place as is, NOT consider the football teams KY STATE CHAMPIONS because there are multiple classes.

Not proposals but what is in place. You said you couldn't consider 4 or 5 teams state champions. So that would imply that you do not consider LexCAth, Trinity, and whoever else won the football state championships this past year, KY STATE FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS.

Did not want to speak for you, so I wanted to give yourself a chance to be real clear on how you view the four winning teams this past December.

I read the whole post, you edited it later. Still changes nothing. What you are suggesting in football is what we do in basketball. The difference is the smaller schools are eliminated earlier so you can see a "Top 16." What you are suggesting would give us a top 1, 5, 9 and 13, conceivably.

You are right I edited it....... but before I read your post.

If you doubt me then go back to the football debate we had about this. I was backing a system that paired up the 4 state champions so that an All Out Champion could be crowned.

Yet there was all the complaining about Bell being "cheated" out of a state championship because of Michael Mitchell. It seemed like you cared about winning 1 of 4 "watered down" titles then.:rolleyes:

Ohhhh sooo that is what this is about. LOL.

Big difference...... at that time we were talking CHEATING. Right now we are talking a Class System.

You are right..... I would have loved for Bell to have won one of the 4 state championships. That doesnt change the fact that I would love to see those 4state champions paired up so that we could crown an All Out Champion.

Your mentioning of the Mike Mitchell case and my stance on it has no bearing on this debate at all.

You are right I edited it....... but before I read your post.

If you doubt me then go back to the football debate we had about this. I was backing a system that paired up the 4 state champions so that an All Out Champion could be crowned.

Bad idea all around, IMO. This is about basketball though. Basketball only needs two classes IMO. It would work out fine and like I said earlier, two elite eight tournaments set up and ran like the Sweet Sixteen. Small schools are the early session, big schools are the late.

The last class 1a size school to win the sweet 16 was Paintsville in 1996 and the last class 2a school to win was E-town in 2000. Schools in either class 1a or 2a have comprised 20% of the final fours during the last 10 years and 15% of the championship game teams.

Sounds something like the private schools "domination" of state championships. Maybe we should kick out the 1A and 2A schools because they are winning a disportionate amount of games. (Note some sarcasm).

Actually, I have thought that they should move the All A to the state championship and have two classes. Anymore I think would be too many.

I never said it was fair.

What I did say was it ensured the validity of whoever wins the championship as deserving of that championship.

Sure it sucks for the small schools and the public schools, but that is why a championship is soooooo special, because it is soooooo hard to achieve.

For the record I am from an extremely small 3A public school, bordering 2A enrollment. My school has seen 1 football championship, and no basketball championships.

What makes them more deserving? They went to a larger school and had more people to pull from to field a better team. You cannot convince me that the boys on Trinity work any harder than the boys on NCC this past year. But match them up and Trinity wins. Why? They have a few more students to pull from in fielding a team.

Augusta boys work extremely hard for their basketball team. They play in leauges and AAU, they do the summer camps, and work on their own. I think there is somewhere around 50 boys in grades. Their chances against a LexCath, Mason County, or PRP is miniscule to none. Why would those 3 be more deserving?

Work would have not much to do with it. Being at a larger school would have a lot to do with it.

:fight: Well I guess we should be politically correct and be like nearly everyone else in the world and make all size schools feel good and have not 4 classes but one for each sized school. That way we can all be champions, just like we all are in life and all of us make the same amount of money and all live in million dollar homes. Guess what life is not fair. Leave the sweet sixteen just the way it is, the greatest basketball show on earth !!!!

Ohhhh sooo that is what this is about. LOL.

Big difference...... at that time we were talking CHEATING. Right now we are talking a Class System.

You are right..... I would have loved for Bell to have won one of the 4 state championships. That doesnt change the fact that I would love to see those 4state champions paired up so that we could crown an All Out Champion.

Your mentioning of the Mike Mitchell case and my stance on it has no bearing on this debate at all.

Actually, that's not what it's about. My point was that you can't say you are ok with a class system in football but don't understand why we need one for basketball. To add to that, on one hand you say you wouldn't want a "diluted" state championship yet on the other hand you complained about getting cheated out of one. Which is it? It's either important or not. So, pick your poison...you're either being hypocritical or don't understand.

I see your point. It is very fair to have a school with 1,000 boys to choose from in getting your 6 or 7 you need in comparison to having 60 boys to choose from in getting your 6 or 7 you need. You're right! THis is very fair.

Please include heavy dose of sarcasm with the above post.

Two observations ...

1. If a public school has only 60 boys to choose from, that's their problem. They've chosen to remain that small, and it's likely that their kids don't enjoy much in the way of academic opportunities, too. In that case, their problems run deeper than simply athletics.

2. If Kentucky was to classify basketball, two classes is all that would be needed. And since we already have the All A Classic in place, I say we leave the current system intact.

And like I questioned, do you now, presently with the state in place as is, NOT consider the football teams KY STATE CHAMPIONS because there are multiple classes.

Not proposals but what is in place. You said you couldn't consider 4 or 5 teams state champions. So that would imply that you do not consider LexCAth, Trinity, and whoever else won the football state championships this past year, KY STATE FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS.

Did not want to speak for you, so I wanted to give yourself a chance to be real clear on how you view the four winning teams this past December.

You are totally correct....... there is no such thing as ChampioNS except district and region champions. STATE ChampioN should be a singular title IMO.

I consider Trinity the KY HS CLASS 4A Football Champion

I consider Lex Cath the KY HS CLASS 3A Football Champion

etc etc etc

Like I said..... I would love to see a KY HS Football Champion crowned.

I will consider who ever wins the Sweet 16 "the" KY HS Boys Basketball State Champion.

Sure a class system is neccessary in football, and MAYBE in basketball. Either way I still think you would need to pair those teams up and have ONE CHAMPION, just like in college and pro sports.

In that case you would have a district champion, region champion, class champion, and 1 state champion.

:fight: Well I guess we should be politically correct and be like nearly everyone else in the world and make all size schools feel good and have not 4 classes but one for each sized school. That way we can all be champions, just like we all are in life and all of us make the same amount of money and all live in million dollar homes. Guess what life is not fair. Leave the sweet sixteen just the way it is, the greatest basketball show on earth !!!!

:thumb: