Deputy Brockman cleared of any wrongdoing

Hellbird

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think we all already knew this but after this incident, the precedent would be set for any of us to shoot someone who operates a motor vehicle in our direction.

Man, that's a huge leap over a big cliff there JA. I don't think it's remotely the case.

HOWEVER, with that being said, I don't think there has EVER been a question, if faced with someone trying to run over a citizen with a car, that said citizen has a RIGHT to defend themselves, with deadly force if necessary. A car, after all, when used incorrectly can be considered a deadly weapon and anyone has a right to defend themselves against such.

I'm glad he was cleared and I was confident he would be. A .12 AND the MJ on board clearly inhibited her ability to make sound decisions and unfortunately for all parties involved, cost her her life.

You make a valid point. Which raises the question: Why would officers have assumed that the victim was able to follow directions while driving a motor vehicle? Officers were warned coming in that the kids were drinking alcohol and smoking marijuana.

Statement released by Deputy Brockman's attorneys, according to River City News:

"Throughout the investigation, the public has only heard one side of the story. As various versions of that night’s events became public through news interviews, social media and various online platforms, Deputy Brockman wanted to tell his side of the story. However, in the interest of a full and fair investigation and per our advice, Deputy Brockman remained silent as he was vilified based on speculation and incorrect information. Today, the Grand Jury of Boone County heard all of the evidence and voted not to charge Deputy Brockman with any criminal wrongdoing. The Grand Jury got it right.

"Every day law enforcement officers place themselves in harms way to protect the public. On April 26, 2014, Deputy Brockman was faced with a life and death situation that demanded a decision no law enforcement officer ever wants to make. While Tyler and his family remain extremely thankful he is alive, his survival came with the heavy burden of doing what he had to do to protect himself and others. He sincerely regrets the loss the Ramsey family has suffered.

"Tyler and his family wish to express their gratitude for the support they have received over the last six months. As Tyler will continue to deal with potential civil litigation, he cannot fully share his story at this time, however, that day will come. Until then, Tyler asks for privacy for himself and his family."

I'm glad he was cleared and I was confident he would be. A .12 AND the MJ on board clearly inhibited her ability to make sound decisions and unfortunately for all parties involved, cost her her life.

.12 is certainly over the legal limit to operate a vehicle, but it is not "fall down" drunk.

What was the toxicity level for the marijuana? As you know, pot can stay in your system for almost 30 days. The detection of its presence alone does not necessarily mean that she was high. Were the actual levels released to the public?

One other detail I didn't see mentioned on here yet...Ramsey had already run over the officer's foot prior to the course of events that occurred in the video from the cruiser's dash-cam.

I don't think that's right. The dashcam was on when he first started heading down Route 8 and it didn't stop recording. Unless I'm missing what you're saying.

I don't think that's right. The dashcam was on when he first started heading down Route 8 and it didn't stop recording. Unless I'm missing what you're saying.

Looks like WLWT has gone back and tweaked their story, as well as adding the video to the webpage. When I saw it originally, it said, "The information in the investigation report includes that Brockman’s foot was run over by Ramsey's car before the events that transpired on the dash cam video. Spokesman Tom Scheben said there are photos of the tire marks on the deputy’s boot and bruising on his foot."

Report: Ramsey was intoxicated, ran over deputy's foot before fatal shooting | Local News - WLWT Home

You make a valid point. Which raises the question: Why would officers have assumed that the victim was able to follow directions while driving a motor vehicle? Officers were warned coming in that the kids were drinking alcohol and smoking marijuana.

Not sure what your point is here. Regardless on whether or not the officers assume she was able to follow directions, they still must give them. And if she can't follow orders to stop her car, then she sure can't be allowed to drive off, can she?

I've seen on here and on FB a lot of people making declarative statements that just simply cannot be supported.

Here's what is 100% irrelevant to the guilty/not guilty determination of the officer:

Was the girl drunk?

Did she run over his foot?

Was she high?

Did he yell "stop?"

Even if all of those were in favor of the officer it tells us nothing about justification of the shooting. We have no video of the ONLY part of the incident that matters. Therefore, everything else is just banter and conjecture but 100% irrelevant.