John Calipari on The Colbert Report tonight

Randy Parker

Colbert should just shut up. It's not about him...interrupting the guest is not funny. If he does this when he gets his new gig, you will hear America click as one to another channel. Cal was great, by the way.

Colbert should just shut up. It's not about him...interrupting the guest is not funny. If he does this when he gets his new gig, you will hear America click as one to another channel. Cal was great, by the way.

His numbers belie the theory that it's not funny.

You're confusing Stephen Colbert as an individual with Stephen Colbert as this character. They are not the same and he doesn't act like that when not playing a part.

He won't do things this way as the Late Show host.

His numbers belie the theory that it's not funny.

You're confusing Stephen Colbert as an individual with Stephen Colbert as this character. They are not the same and he doesn't act like that when not playing a part.

He won't do things this way as the Late Show host.

Yeah, I know about the "character" thing. But Calipari was not in character. Among other things, John was attempting to explain "Servent Leadership", a concept that I think many people need to hear and understand. I'll put it another way - "The Colbert Report" show as a whole was not showing respect for the guest. If Cal understood this prior to going on to promote his new book, maybe he should have picked a different forum. Or, maybe.....................what I think is funny is different from what others think is funny.

John was attempting to explain "Servent Leadership", a concept that I think many people need to hear and understand. .

I haven't watched it yet, but I completely agree with you in regards to Servant Leadership. Its a topic I thoroughly believe in and I think many leaders would benefit from. Love that Calipari has such a focus on it, and refers to it in his new book a ton.

Yeah, I know about the "character" thing. But Calipari was not in character. Among other things, John was attempting to explain "Servent Leadership", a concept that I think many people need to hear and understand. I'll put it another way - "The Colbert Report" show as a whole was not showing respect for the guest. If Cal understood this prior to going on to promote his new book, maybe he should have picked a different forum. Or, maybe.....................what I think is funny is different from what others think is funny.

He never shows respect for the guest and it is all about him. That's the nature of the character.

The ones that do the best are on regularly like Slate's legal expert, Emily Bazelon. She gets it. You say something then stop because he's about to make a joke or some other ludicrous comment, then you chuckle, then say whatever you were about to say.

It's all schtick... and I thought Calipari did fine. Of course he knew what it was going to be like, at least his agent did. Nobody could possibly go on that show anymore without knowing what the interview style is going to be.