Disappointing Incident At the Ryle and CovCath Game

Raiders94

FWIW, I would like to add that the students could not see the sign in its entirety (so they may not have known its meaning), and since Ryle had some extremely inappropriate signs, the CovCath kids may have taken the "mysterious" (to them) poster in the wrong way.

While I still maintain it was an ACCIDENT, an apology should be issued.

BTW, the CovCath students signed a card today to send their condolences for the deceased young man and to let the family know they are praying for them. I've also heard they have plans to create and donate a new sign to Ryle.

Also, I'm extremely confident no kids were suspended.

If it's an accident, then suspension is an overkill, IMO.

Edited by hoops5

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you call my opinion or comment "ignorant", Check your reading abilities. I never said "poor", just a questioning. Yes, believe it or not there are some kids out there that are allowed to do whatever they feel like in the home without repercussion, and that carries over into the public. Call it what you want, but I never said poor. Focus on the issue here and hope that lessons were learned accident or not.

I can understand you're trying to backtrack from the comment but how many people have ever questioned good parenting?

I also just heard the kids who were responsible were suspended.

Heard there were 4-5 students involved but I do not know that as a fact because I wasn't there.

I was there but did not see the incident. I have heard no indication that students were suspended. I believe what Accountant has now said to be closer to the truth.

I would also say this- Bob Rowe does not mess around. He and the dean of discipline where at the game next to the students on the court (as they are at every game). What happened occurred 15 rows up at the last row (typically filled with Frosh as is the pecking order) against the railing and out of sight. What I don't understand, is that if this was truly as big a deal as has been made - a deal worthy of "uniting" two schools together in their effort to call out the evil empire that is CCH (sarcasm)- then why didn't someone on the Ryle end of things go to Bob Rowe right there and then? Or go to the Ryle administration so they could go to Bob? It sounds like it happened right at the beginning of the Varsity game during introductions - I guarantee it would have been handled right there and then rather than having it posted as a Facebook item after the fact which does NO one any good.

We had something like this happen at a football game, right after one of our football players was killed in a auto accident. Only difference was it was t-shirts the other student section wore and it was very inappropriate towards the dead student. Really thought this was going to cause a riot at the game. Finally it was handled and the students took off the shirts. Nothing else was done to my knowledge.

I have a question, maybe it's been asked, but was hanging a banner you wanted to display where the student section who would be on their feet the whole game a bright idea in the first place? I mean no disrespect either.
The banner was hung their because that was the section the seniors sat in for the Ryle pep rally.

I was there but did not see the incident. I have heard no indication that students were suspended. I believe what Accountant has now said to be closer to the truth.

I would also say this- Bob Rowe does not mess around. He and the dean of discipline where at the game next to the students on the court (as they are at every game). What happened occurred 15 rows up at the last row (typically filled with Frosh as is the pecking order) against the railing and out of sight. What I don't understand, is that if this was truly as big a deal as has been made - a deal worthy of "uniting" two schools together in their effort to call out the evil empire that is CCH (sarcasm)- then why didn't someone on the Ryle end of things go to Bob Rowe right there and then? Or go to the Ryle administration so they could go to Bob? It sounds like it happened right at the beginning of the Varsity game during introductions - I guarantee it would have been handled right there and then rather than having it posted as a Facebook item after the fact which does NO one any good.

What exactly would a confrontation at the game solve?

You really think cooler heads would of prevailed if Ryle students went over to the CCH student section to address the situation?

If Bob and the dean of discipline were there as you claim, why didn't they confront the students when it happened? It did happen, so why would it be Ryles students who would have to do something about it?

You really think cooler heads would of prevailed if Ryle students went over to the CCH student section to address the situation?

If Bob and the dean of discipline were there as you claim, why didn't they confront the students when it happened? It did happen, so why would it be Ryles students who would have to do something about it?

Dean of Discipline and Rowe are at the base of the section (on the floor) watching the game. Something happening 15 rows up is not in their sight unless brought to their attention.

Clearly someone at Ryle saw it happen- then took a photo of it- then posted to Facebook. An adult someone. Why let it get all the way to Facebook? Tell the administration who would, in turn, tell Bob Rowe. As mentioned, there were a hundred boys in between Rowe and the railing where the banner was taped- not much to see.

Dean of Discipline and Rowe are at the base of the section (on the floor) watching the game. Something happening 15 rows up is not in their sight unless brought to their attention.

My point was, why would it be the Ryle's students responsibility? How does the honor system work at CCH? If a student sees another student doing something wrong, are they not taught to take care of it or are they encouraged to hide it?

My point is, shouldn't it be one of the Cov Cath students who saw what happened to turn in the student who did it or explain to Bob etc what happened? Wouldnt that be the Christian thing to do?

Clearly someone at Ryle saw it happen- then took a photo of it- then posted to Facebook. An adult someone. Why let it get all the way to Facebook? Tell the administration who would, in turn, tell Bob Rowe. As mentioned, there were a hundred boys in between Rowe and the railing where the banner was taped- not much to see.

Clearly someone at CCH also saw it and did nothing.

There also was a priest standing down from the CCH students at the 9th Region final at NKU last year.

My point was, why would it be the Ryle's students responsibility? How does the honor system work at CCH? If a student sees another student doing something wrong, are they not taught to take care of it or are they encouraged to hide it?

My point is, shouldn't it be one of the Cov Cath students who saw what happened to turn in the student who did it or explain to Bob etc what happened? Wouldnt that be the Christian thing to do?

Come on, man. You expect a kid to rat out another kid? The adult who saw the sign being ripped should have found Bob Rowe and it would have been taken care of. Instead, they decided to put it all out on social media like a kid would do.