News about Luke Maile!

Theoldguy

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter how good he is defensively, he has to start hitting. You just can't waste a roster spot on a guy that's going to hit below .100.

Just shows how ridiculously hard it is to hit major league pitching. Maile hit everything that was thrown at him in high school, and hit everything hard. And he's now a .180 hitter in nearly 200 major league at bats.

• 2 weeks later...

C. Trent Rosecrans ,

TORONTO – Reds first baseman and Toronto-area Joey Votto hit a two-run home run in the first inning of Wednesday’s series finale in his hometown, but a Cincinnati-area native :ohbrother:helped lead the Blue Jays to a 5-4 victory and sweep of the Reds with a two-run homer of his own.

Covington Catholic graduate Luke Maile hit his second homer of the year Wednesday, tying the game at 3 with a two-run shot in the fifth inning.

“I came up in the minor leagues and played against the Reds farm system a couple of times, and there was always a little bit of that feeling, remembering being a kid and rooting for them,” Maile told reporters afterward. “To hit a home run off of them in the Major Leagues first time playing against them is pretty cool."

Before Wednesday's game against the Reds, Blue Jays manager John Gibbons praised the contributions of Maile behind the plate, in part because there had been little to say about his work at the plate.

“I knew he was a defensive guy, but he’s better than I thought he was going to be,” Gibbons said. “He can really throw. He’s thrown out some big baserunners in key spots. He’s a better hitter than he’s hitting right now. But the pitchers love throwing to him. That tells you everything when you hear those comments, that’s all you need to know. You’ll also hear the opposite when it’s someone they don’t like throwing to.”

Maile entered the game hitting just .058/.123/.115 in his first 18 games of the season with the Blue Jays. He upped that average to .073 with the homer, his lone hit in three at-bats.

"I just wanted to try and elevate something. I felt pretty good in my first at-bat, I just kind of got underneath a pitch that I felt like I could do some damage on," Maile told Toronto reporters afterward. "Just trying to stay aggressive. I didn't want to sit back and wait for that perfect one. I knew if I could get something that was elevated I could put a good swing on it and it worked out."

Drafted by the Rays out of the University of Kentucky in 2012, the Blue Jays picked him up off of waivers in April. He was called up when the team released veteran Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

While he appreciated Gibbons' pre-game vote of confidence about his defense, Maile was more excited to be talking about his bat afterward.

“I don't care what your reputation is defensively, you want to help swinging the bat from time to time, at the very least,” he said. “To finally hit something that was really meaningful and bring us back in the game a little bit meant a lot."

My Comment: He is from Edgewood, Ky. but when it's something good he/they/it is from the Cincinnati area, unless it of course it is bad, then he is from NKy. :lol2:

I've never heard anyone differentiate. I watched all three local channels yesterday and listened to the game and everyone said Covington Catholic graduate Luke Maile. No one said greater Cincinnati product Luke Maile. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about him to be honest except for his batting average which Is bad.

C. Trent Rosecrans ,

TORONTO – Reds first baseman and Toronto-area Joey Votto hit a two-run home run in the first inning of Wednesday’s series finale in his hometown, but a Cincinnati-area native :ohbrother:helped lead the Blue Jays to a 5-4 victory and sweep of the Reds with a two-run homer of his own.

Covington Catholic graduate Luke Maile hit his second homer of the year Wednesday, tying the game at 3 with a two-run shot in the fifth inning.

“I came up in the minor leagues and played against the Reds farm system a couple of times, and there was always a little bit of that feeling, remembering being a kid and rooting for them,” Maile told reporters afterward. “To hit a home run off of them in the Major Leagues first time playing against them is pretty cool."

Before Wednesday's game against the Reds, Blue Jays manager John Gibbons praised the contributions of Maile behind the plate, in part because there had been little to say about his work at the plate.

“I knew he was a defensive guy, but he’s better than I thought he was going to be,” Gibbons said. “He can really throw. He’s thrown out some big baserunners in key spots. He’s a better hitter than he’s hitting right now. But the pitchers love throwing to him. That tells you everything when you hear those comments, that’s all you need to know. You’ll also hear the opposite when it’s someone they don’t like throwing to.”

Maile entered the game hitting just .058/.123/.115 in his first 18 games of the season with the Blue Jays. He upped that average to .073 with the homer, his lone hit in three at-bats.

"I just wanted to try and elevate something. I felt pretty good in my first at-bat, I just kind of got underneath a pitch that I felt like I could do some damage on," Maile told Toronto reporters afterward. "Just trying to stay aggressive. I didn't want to sit back and wait for that perfect one. I knew if I could get something that was elevated I could put a good swing on it and it worked out."

Drafted by the Rays out of the University of Kentucky in 2012, the Blue Jays picked him up off of waivers in April. He was called up when the team released veteran Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

While he appreciated Gibbons' pre-game vote of confidence about his defense, Maile was more excited to be talking about his bat afterward.

“I don't care what your reputation is defensively, you want to help swinging the bat from time to time, at the very least,” he said. “To finally hit something that was really meaningful and bring us back in the game a little bit meant a lot."

My Comment: He is from Edgewood, Ky. but when it's something good he/they/it is from the Cincinnati area, unless it of course it is bad, then he is from NKy. :lol2:

One of my pet peeves! We are not Cincinnati!!!!

One of my pet peeves! We are not Cincinnati!!!!

I'm the opposite....I usually say Cincinnati when I'm dealing with people from outside the area, because very few understand the geography of NKY. When I say I live in Northern KY, the follow up question is "what city is that near?".

Yes you are.

Deuce, you might be from Cincinnati but I am not and my guess is neither is Lawildcat and I never say I am from Cincinnati, I always say I am from Northern Kentucky and if they look at me strangely so be it. I know where I am from and where I live and it isn't in Cincinnati.

Deuce, you might be from Cincinnati but I am not and my guess is neither is Lawildcat and I never say I am from Cincinnati, I always say I am from Northern Kentucky and if they look at me strangely so be it. I know where I am from and where I live and it isn't in Cincinnati.

Exactly

Wasn't born there. Don't live there. Don't work there. Rarely go there. Never tell people I'm from there.

Blue Jays take 2 out of 3 against the 1st place Yankees over the weekend and Luke started and played each and every inning of each game.

Friday 7/2 W for the Blue Jays and Luke goes 1/4 with a run scored

Saturday 7/0 L for the Jays who only earn 3 hits with Luke earning 2 of those 3 going 2/3

Sunday 3/2 W for the Jays Luke goes 1/3

That's not a bad weekend

Luke Maile 4/10 scored one run 4 SBA 1 CS 1 Error throwing

Jays now only 6 1/2 out of 1st place.

The Boss and I are planning to go to Cleveland to watch him play 7/21 through 7/23. Has anyone attended a Indians game at Progressive Field and have any good tips for us?

5-game hit streak for Luke.

In any article you read the pitchers love having him behind the plate and Gibbons say his D has been better than his already high expectations.

Glad to see some offense out of him.

Exactly

Wasn't born there. Don't live there. Don't work there. Rarely go there. Never tell people I'm from there.

To someone not familiar with the area. I'm fron Northern Kentucky, about 5 minutes south of Cincinnati.

Glad to see Maile with continued success.