Who is new coach for Garrard now?

jericho

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hodge is close to 35 or so...+/- a year. Scenters was Hired in '08. Hodge was hired at Bourbon before the '12 season. Granted those are 4-5 years he had to grow as an AC, but there is your run of the mill/common experience...then, there is the experience of coaching under and with the likes of Chuck Smith, Chris Pardue, Chris Mason, Jeff Hester, etc. Needless to say, he was around 30 at the time, but I'd put his 7-8 years of experience with that crew up against several others who might have a lot more, but worked around less.

With that said, I think Scenters did a good job, too. State Semi appearance, followed up w/ two 7-5's.

There is a different Principal at Garrard County than there was the last time a coach was hired. The current Principal has a background as a football player and assistant coach. What the prior administration did doesn't seem very relevant. I am confident that he will find the best possible coach for GCHS.

Hodge is close to 35 or so...+/- a year. Scenters was Hired in '08. Hodge was hired at Bourbon before the '12 season. Granted those are 4-5 years he had to grow as an AC, but there is your run of the mill/common experience...then, there is the experience of coaching under and with the likes of Chuck Smith, Chris Pardue, Chris Mason, Jeff Hester, etc. Needless to say, he was around 30 at the time, but I'd put his 7-8 years of experience with that crew up against several others who might have a lot more, but worked around less.

With that said, I think Scenters did a good job, too. State Semi appearance, followed up w/ two 7-5's.

Ok. Here is goes and I'm going to make some people mad but so be it.

John Hodge did apply when they hired Scenters but was not seriously considered for some reasons which I will keep to myself(administration). Both were assistants at the time......one with multiple championships under excellent head coach's and the other was a lineman coach at a 6A schoolso age at that time should have been thrown out the window.......go figure!!!!

On Scenters record.....losing records the first two yrs. state semis, then 7-5 the last two and really never beat anyone they shouldn't have in a weak district from top to bottom. Beat their rival Lincoln County one time during a time when they are struggling.

They also passed on the OC at LCA at the time who was coming off a runner-up finish and has since been on 2 championships at LCA and Bowling Green. If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas. The last admin lied to him about hiring someone with head coaching experience, but Scenters did work out well.

There is a different Principal at Garrard County than there was the last time a coach was hired. The current Principal has a background as a football player and assistant coach. What the prior administration did doesn't seem very relevant. I am confident that he will find the best possible coach for GCHS.

The principle at that time didn't have anything to do with the hiring of the football coach. There was a token committee formed with one person making the decision and all I will say about your other statements is some things never change.

With all that being said....if they can get Coach Perry back then they should have hired him yesterday. Lol

Those three coaches are wishful thinking and none of the three will be the head coach at Garrard County. One is already a head coach and taking this job would be a step backwards and the other two have assistant jobs that are better than being the head man at Garrard and would be a pay cut for all.

Plus they have to take into consideration the administration they would be working with.

Garrard's new superintendent, Paul Mullins, is a grade-A, class-act man.

I've known him for several years. He was an assistant girls' basketball coach when E'town won the title in 1998. His sons race dirt bikes, play football and go fishing. His eldest son played football at LaRue (and went on to Georgetown College, IIRC). Mullins is very pro-sports.

He's also very pro academics and education and ideas. When he was in charge, LaRue was one of the first district to get "green" buses. Also got laptops for every kid. Most rooms have the smartboards instead of the marker board/chalk board.

LaRue County is one of the better public school districts for its size, which is saying a lot because of its demographics.

When Mullins was at LaRue, they built an indoor facility the wrestling, football, soccer and baseball/softball teams have all used. Remodeled baseball and softball fields. Got a nice tennis complex. Before he left, he had gotten the ball rolling for a new gym/football complex (complete with turf, which was rumored to be blue). The football stadium/gym will be united, meaning the home side of the field -- currently the visitor side -- will be connected to the gym. There are plans for "skyboxes" which will serve as football press box/coaches' box as well as sky boxes for basketball.

Unless you are talking about the principal, assistant principal or counselors (or maybe school board or site-based), I'm not sure administration in Garrard County is a consideration.

I would think it is a plus.

Over here in the 5th Region, Mullins has a sparkling reputation.

Garrard's new superintendent, Paul Mullins, is a grade-A, class-act man.

I've known him for several years. He was an assistant girls' basketball coach when E'town won the title in 1998. His sons race dirt bikes, play football and go fishing. His eldest son played football at LaRue (and went on to Georgetown College, IIRC). Mullins is very pro-sports.

He's also very pro academics and education and ideas. When he was in charge, LaRue was one of the first district to get "green" buses. Also got laptops for every kid. Most rooms have the smartboards instead of the marker board/chalk board.

LaRue County is one of the better public school districts for its size, which is saying a lot because of its demographics.

When Mullins was at LaRue, they built an indoor facility the wrestling, football, soccer and baseball/softball teams have all used. Remodeled baseball and softball fields. Got a nice tennis complex. Before he left, he had gotten the ball rolling for a new gym/football complex (complete with turf, which was rumored to be blue). The football stadium/gym will be united, meaning the home side of the field -- currently the visitor side -- will be connected to the gym. There are plans for "skyboxes" which will serve as football press box/coaches' box as well as sky boxes for basketball.

Unless you are talking about the principal, assistant principal or counselors (or maybe school board or site-based), I'm not sure administration in Garrard County is a consideration.

I would think it is a plus.

Over here in the 5th Region, Mullins has a sparkling reputation.

While I appreciate your input on this discussion and I'm sure Mr. Mullins is a fine person and has done good work at another school this has nothing to do with him. These issues have been going on for sometime and at Garrard County the super and the school board doesn't have a say or want to get involved with a coaching hire......just ask them!!!!!!

While I appreciate your input on this discussion and I'm sure Mr. Mullins is a fine person and has done good work at another school this has nothing to do with him. These issues have been going on for sometime and at Garrard County the super and the school board doesn't have a say or want to get involved with a coaching hire......just ask them!!!!!!

If it isn't the Superintendent, School Board or the Principal, who is it?

Paul Mullins will be involved. There isn't a more sports minded Super in the state, I can promise you that.

As CKY Kid also pointed out, he knows how to get things done on the academic end, too.

I think those close to the athletic programs, in particular football, will also tell you that there has been a very welcomed & 180 degree change in athletic and just overall support since Mullins was hired in July, too.

Kalem Grasham, which I'm sure you know, is also a very sports/football minded principal. Having played at Lincoln County under Larry Phillps and Marty Jaggers, being part of state finalist teams and playing some at Campbellsville University....he knows what's up and what to look for

I'm not doubting one bit of what you are saying about the past. Sounds like a lot of issues across the state to be honest...very similar to more places than any of us care to want to know; but, there is a new sheriff in town and we all know what that can do. Even with this change, it takes time....but, I hear things are off to a good start.

Paul Mullins will be involved. There isn't a more sports minded Super in the state, I can promise you that.

As CKY Kid also pointed out, he knows how to get things done on the academic end, too.

I think those close to the athletic programs, in particular football, will also tell you that there has been a very welcomed & 180 degree change in athletic and just overall support since Mullins was hired in July, too.

Kalem Grasham, which I'm sure you know, is also a very sports/football minded principal. Having played at Lincoln County under Larry Phillps and Marty Jaggers, being part of state finalist teams and playing some at Campbellsville University....he knows what's up and what to look for

I'm not doubting one bit of what you are saying about the past. Sounds like a lot of issues across the state to be honest...very similar to more places than any of us care to want to know; but, there is a new sheriff in town and we all know what that can do. Even with this change, it takes time....but, I hear things are off to a good start.

So you just gonna leave us hanging with that last sentance Doyle? C'mon spill the beans!

So you just gonna leave us hanging with that last sentance Doyle? C'mon spill the beans!

lol

Just people who are close to the programs, talking about things he did at football games this year, having tailgate tents for the staff and community. Just being seen. Being involved. Rubbing elbows with those in the alumni/booster associations & just anybody else that comes out to ballgames. He's the type that doesn't miss a home football games, and goes to most if not all of the way games, as well. He's at dang near every home basketball game, and away games. You can find him at Commonwealth on Saturday's in the fall and at Rupp during the winter, so long as it's not interfering with a Golden Lion basketball game.

He's Mr. Suit and Tie during the day, then can be seen at a ballgame in jeans, a hoodie and visor eating a hot dog (or two :) ) and a bag of popcorn. Great communicator. He just gets people & isn't one of these stiffs that you see a lot of in these type of positions.

He's a Pete Carroll of the Superintendent world I guess you could say. Best way I know how to explain him to those that don't know him.

Who is Preston?

His Bullitt East team came within a two point conversion of winning the 08 state championship of 4A against the greatest Bell Co. team ever. He led Franklin-Simpson to the Regional Championship this year. Lost a close one to Owensboro.

His Bullitt East team came within a two point conversion of winning the 08 state championship of 4A against the greatest Bell Co. team ever. He led Franklin-Simpson to the Regional Championship this year. Lost a close one to Owensboro.

Was also an assistant coach at Garrard County and Danville in the late 1990s.