Why did Collins defeat Highlands?

My final answer to the question posed in this thread is that Collins was able to come up big on a 4th down play with just 13 seconds left and with their back-up QB in the game while trailing HHS by 4. Winning big games like state title games often requires teams to make big plays at crucial times, and that is exactly what Collins did. They deserve all the credit.

As a HHS fan, I hope HHS deals with this loss the way they dealt with their loss to Boyle County in the 2003 title game. It was at that time when Coach Mueller made some changes that paved the way for the kind of dominance HHS has had in its class these past several years.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read about the best athletes not being on the field enough especially on defense. How does Highlands staff decide which side gets the best athletes? I've heard that Dale takes the best athletes for the most part and leaves Brian W the rest, is that true?

I've been wondering the same thing. Doesn't it make more sense to have 4 great WR's and 4 great DB's than just 8 great WR's?

From what I have gathered my theory may be right. Highlands defense struggled against teams with athletes(code word) on it. Tilghman, John Hardin, Warren Central. Highlands put all of the others away but a few athletes(code word) and things got hairy for that defense. From what I have gathered Collins has a few athletes(code word) that Highlands couldn't keep up with. Is that correct? If not let me know. It's just a theory. And if that theory is correct then be glad they didn't play because BG has athletes(code word) all over the place.

So... uhh, what are you trying to say?

It's OK PP. I must be a big racist as well, either that or there is something wrong with the color settings on my TV. Seems like everytime I try to watch an NCAA or NFL football game the majority of the skill positions are filled with athletes (code word). Funny thing is that the same athletes (code word) seems to fill most of the positions in the NBA or NCAA hoop. Now maybe it's just a coincidence but I do have to wonder given that atheltes (code word) are such a small minority of our population, why they seem to be the overwhelming majority when it comes to sports.

What it comes down to is Highlands is a team that is easy to beat.

Highlands is something like 85-5 over the last 6 years or so. And only two of those losses are to KY teams. How does that make them easy to beat?? We get it.....you really dislike Highlands.

Am I wrong?

Depends on how you say it. I'm making an observation without beating around the bush.

Am I wrong?

You are right but there is a game that blunts the need for a codeword.

It was the game before. In the prediction thread I indicated that if Collins had fast, athletic (no code word here) and tall CBs and DBs they would fair better than LexCath because the LexCath CBs and DBs were burned a lot by HHS in the semi. You probably know the racial makeup of the Knight defense and its starting CBs. The Knight problem was not being as athletic on defense as Collins but it had mainly to do with height, not race. The HHS receivers were bigger and taller and faster. Collins had the tools to contain them better than LexCath.

Conversely, The Knights scored 35 on offense. Only 2 less than Collins. Most of that damage was done by solid athletes (and the code word does not apply here).

Also remember that Bryan Station (filled with 'athletes' (use the code word if you want)) scored a bunch on HHS.

So HHS did find rougher going against more 'athletic' teams. But 'athletic', without being used as a codeword, should mean bigger, faster, taller, stronger. It today's world the faster and taller seem to be the main difference makers in the pass happy offenses.

Highlands has outstanding coaches and training and planning, etc. But sometimes it does come down to the overall physical differences. And sometimes athleticism and raw talent can overcome other factors.

P.S. - did Collins turnover the ball yesterday? I do not recall that they did. THAT would also be a big factor.

Highlands is something like 85-5 over the last 6 years or so. And only two of those losses are to KY teams. How does that make them easy to beat?? We get it.....you really dislike Highlands.

Good thing they don't play SK or they would have more losses!

Collins won because at least for 1 night they were flat better. Everyone is saying it was the passing game that HHS couldn't stop but the game I was watching they ran the ball at will on HHS. I think the had a good game plan in only rushing 4 and dropping everyone else into coverage. The HHS QB was only really pressured twice from a traditional time to throw situation. Many of the other hurries were because he progressed through his checks and no one was open. With that being said they still put up 34 points in a state championship game. I thought Collins played with more poise (no unsportsmanlike penalties), were turnover free, appeared to have a better game plan and they clearly had the better skill position players. With all of that it still took a last second TD pass to win by 3. Two well coached teams with great players.

From what I have gathered my theory may be right. Highlands defense struggled against teams with athletes(code word) on it. Tilghman, John Hardin, Warren Central. Highlands put all of the others away but a few athletes(code word) and things got hairy for that defense. From what I have gathered Collins has a few athletes(code word) that Highlands couldn't keep up with. Is that correct? If not let me know. It's just a theory. And if that theory is correct then be glad they didn't play because BG has athletes(code word) all over the place.

I agree that this isn't one of the fastest HHS teams and they struggled with speed all year. I'm not sure that's a code word/white thing because #1 from Collins was as white as a bed sheet and did a lot of damage against the birds.

You are right but there is a game that blunts the need for a codeword.

It was the game before. In the prediction thread I indicated that if Collins had fast, athletic (no code word here) and tall CBs and DBs they would fair better than LexCath because the LexCath CBs and DBs were burned a lot by HHS in the semi. You probably know the racial makeup of the Knight defense and its starting CBs. The Knight problem was not being as athletic on defense as Collins but it had mainly to do with height, not race. The HHS receivers were bigger and taller and faster. Collins had the tools to contain them better than LexCath.

Conversely, The Knights scored 35 on offense. Only 2 less than Collins. Most of that damage was done by solid athletes (and the code word does not apply here).

Also remember that Bryan Station (filled with 'athletes' (use the code word if you want)) scored a bunch on HHS.

So HHS did find rougher going against more 'athletic' teams. But 'athletic', without being used as a codeword, should mean bigger, faster, taller, stronger. It today's world the faster and taller seem to be the main difference makers in the pass happy offenses.

Highlands has outstanding coaches and training and planning, etc. But sometimes it does come down to the overall physical differences. And sometimes athleticism and raw talent can overcome other factors.

P.S. - did Collins turnover the ball yesterday? I do not recall that they did. THAT would also be a big factor.

Very true. I was hoping you would chime in. :thumb:

I agree that this isn't one of the fastest HHS teams and they struggled with speed all year. I'm not sure that's a code word/white thing because #1 from Collins was as white as a bed sheet and did a lot of damage against the birds.

I was wondering who their stand out players were. Was he the QB?