Why did Collins defeat Highlands?

Can somebody please tell me if i am wrong about what i am about to say....When Collins got the ball back with 2:33 left and they started on there own 20..why in the hell was #5 playing right up on the receiver that caught the 40 yard pass?????? No safety help, you have a 4 point lead, they have to go 80 yards and they have only one timeout and they play right on the receiver with no cushion. When I watched them line up i jumped off the couch and told my wife he is going to get beat deep..what is he doing and bam 40 yards later and 15 yard taunting and Collins was in buisness. Did anybody else notice that..if not go back and watch the tape. No way that is what the wanted defensively? thoughts?

That's a good question. With all the talk about how great of a coach Dale is and no one else comes close is figure even Dale would want at least 1 safety back deep especially with the CBs inability to cover the Collins WR's consistently during the game.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if a receiver runs a route and catches a 20 yard pass and gets chased and hit by 3 defenders who stay in the game and that receiver runs off the field and another receiver comes in you don't think that is normally an advantage? Yes mentally and physically.

It is easy to say now that Highlands should had their best players on the field more......if they would have done that and lost because they got wore down we could just as easily say they need to platoon more. Hindsight is always 20/20

I think what he was trying to say is that it isn't the huge advantage it's made out to be, sometimes not even an advantage at all, when the player is constantly running on and off the field in between plays while the DB who is staying in the game is resting during that same time.

Playing at a quick pace means the WR on the opposite side of the field from your bench is going to be busting it on and off the field quite a bit, or else, you'll have to slow down your pace.

That's a good question. With all the talk about how great of a coach Dale is and no one else comes close is figure even Dale would want at least 1 safety back deep especially with the CBs inability to cover the Collins WR's consistently during the game.

I was shocked! Look I am not picking on #5...I dont know who the kid is but Highlands usually always gives them a cushion and in that situation that should have been the case for sure. Very surprised to say the least.

Can somebody please tell me if i am wrong about what i am about to say....When Collins got the ball back with 2:33 left and they started on there own 20..why in the hell was #5 playing right up on the receiver that caught the 40 yard pass?????? No safety help, you have a 4 point lead, they have to go 80 yards and they have only one timeout and they play right on the receiver with no cushion. When I watched them line up i jumped off the couch and told my wife he is going to get beat deep..what is he doing and bam 40 yards later and 15 yard taunting and Collins was in buisness. Did anybody else notice that..if not go back and watch the tape. No way that is what the wanted defensively? thoughts?

They had played the cbs up a number of times if not most of the time all game. Also Collins moved Farris around a lot so he is not the outside WR all the time. He plays inside most of the time to draw the lesser coverage guys.

Hell bird: Collins plays a number of players in spot duty on both offense and defense. 85 played some defense late in the game to put their best players on the field. Just like 3 played some offense even though he was the stud lb. Until this year Collins played a number of guys both ways. Then they went platoon but that experience paid off when they had to put their best athletes on the field.

I've read about the best athletes not being on the field enough especially on defense. How does Highlands staff decide which side gets the best athletes? I've heard that Dale takes the best athletes for the most part and leaves Brian W the rest, is that true?

They had played the cbs up a number of times if not most of the time all game. Also Collins moved Farris around a lot so he is not the outside WR all the time. He plays inside most of the time to draw the lesser coverage guys.

Hell bird: Collins plays a number of players in spot duty on both offense and defense. 85 played some defense late in the game to put their best players on the field. Just like 3 played some offense even though he was the stud lb. Until this year Collins played a number of guys both ways. Then they went platoon but that experience paid off when they had to put their best athletes on the field.

Maybe right but at that point in time you cant play up man on man with no help in that situation....that cost them IMO.

Some might not like to hear this but I think arrogance caught up with HHS. Watch the players body langue during the game. They didn't expect this to be a game. Read Dale's comments after watching the tape of Collins that was posted on this site. Paraphrasing but it was along the lines of "oh they are good". Sorry that catches up with you.

If you aren't from Shelby co and you truly don't know Shelby co then you don't know what you are dealing with. The players on the Collins teams come from players from the 80s and 90s. I know what those guys are like. They might not if won more than one state championship but they know what it's like to compete against the best this state has to offer.

From what I have gathered my theory may be right. Highlands defense struggled against teams with athletes(code word) on it. Tilghman, John Hardin, Warren Central. Highlands put all of the others away but a few athletes(code word) and things got hairy for that defense. From what I have gathered Collins has a few athletes(code word) that Highlands couldn't keep up with. Is that correct? If not let me know. It's just a theory. And if that theory is correct then be glad they didn't play because BG has athletes(code word) all over the place.

Nice racist post there, PP. Stay classy. And by the way, HHS didn't seem to have trouble with UC earlier this year, and that team fit your description.

If someone who was not a mod had posted what you had on a BGP high school forum, they would get suspended in a second.

Are you saying white kids can't keep up with black kids on the football field? If you are (and you are), what about the UC game?

I'm saying this defense had a hard time against predominately black teams. That's exactly what I am saying. We can sit on here and act like it's never been discussed privately or somebody can prove my theory wrong. UC sent key players both ways and we all know that contributed to the downfall of a team regardless of their predominance of athletes. You have to two platoon against a team like Highlands. That theory has been proven. Now what happens when you can two platoon with people they can't keep up with? Gets a lot tougher doesn't it?