Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why did Collins defeat Highlands?

Featured Replies

Guys, I posted on the prediction what Jerry told his team on the carpet while HHS was celebrating #6 last year. He said, "Look over there. That is what we want. To be elite like that, we have to get to work. And I promise you, if you guys work together, we will be back here next year and play them again and win a title." (It is paraphrased just a little but I heard it and I believed him.

  • Replies 144
  • Views 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

I still cannot believe Highlands couldn't convert in the red zone. They are usually money once there.

That is not the point. Highlands two platoon plus system.....(watch nearly everytime a receiver catches a pass...he immediately sprints to the sidelines and is replaced). So even a Defensive Back playing one way has to go against several fresh receivers. That wears down most teams. Heck it wore Scott County down badly last year when Highlands beat them. But today Highlands needed their best players on the field more to overcome this Collins team.

 

Do not believe that hype. The wr that just ran a route sprints to the sideline for one play then sprints on the field the next play is not resting. It is a great Jedi mind trick thinking that is wearing down a db. There is no way that keeps your wr or lineman fresher than the defense, I think it wears them out more. They only play 8 so it is 4 in and 4 out, so if they were playing 10 to 12 I could see it but to me it is a myth.

 

Think about it especially if you are the wr on the opposite side of your bench.

I will hope Collins fans can clarify this' date=' but my understanding is that Collins does two platoon and that was the plan from the get go this season. It wasn't because of the SK loss. In fact, some speculated that Collins' new two platoon system contributed to their SK loss because they were still working out the kinks on it. I think Collins got better as the season went on and the move to two platoon football was a big part of why they got better.[/quote']

Actually, Coach Lucas and I spoke about this after the SK loss in the locker room. Jerry said that he would have to start platooning if he planned on beating Highlands. It was decided after the SK game.

Actually' date=' Coach Lucas and I spoke about this after the SK loss in the locker room. Jerry said that he would have to start platooning if he planned on beating Highlands. It was decided after the SK game.[/quote']

Great adjustment by a great coach.

  • Author

What players should have been used on both sides of the ball for the Birds and where specifically? The Birds have been suspect all year to the pass but Collins ran on them just as bad today.

Actually, Coach Lucas and I spoke about this after the SK loss in the locker room. Jerry said that he would have to start platooning if he planned on beating Highlands. It was decided after the SK game.

 

Link:

Collins High School football team thriving with new platoon system

Actually, Coach Lucas and I spoke about this after the SK loss in the locker room. Jerry said that he would have to start platooning if he planned on beating Highlands. It was decided after the SK game.

 

Very good plan to say in the least.

Doubledeuce, good thing I didn't embellish anything........ :D

Actually, Coach Lucas and I spoke about this after the SK loss in the locker room. Jerry said that he would have to start platooning if he planned on beating Highlands. It was decided after the SK game.

 

Thanks for the correction and clarification.

 

After reading the article linked by doubledeuce, it sounds like it is actually the opposite of what I said above - not platooning contributed to the SK loss. Yeah, that's the ticket. That's what I meant to say in the first place. :)

Do not believe that hype. The wr that just ran a route sprints to the sideline for one play then sprints on the field the next play is not resting. It is a great Jedi mind trick thinking that is wearing down a db. There is no way that keeps your wr or lineman fresher than the defense, I think it wears them out more. They only play 8 so it is 4 in and 4 out, so if they were playing 10 to 12 I could see it but to me it is a myth.

 

Think about it especially if you are the wr on the opposite side of your bench.

 

So if a receiver runs a route and catches a 20 yard pass and gets chased and hit by 3 defenders who stay in the game and that receiver runs off the field and another receiver comes in you don't think that is normally an advantage? Yes mentally and physically.

 

It is easy to say now that Highlands should had their best players on the field more......if they would have done that and lost because they got wore down we could just as easily say they need to platoon more. Hindsight is always 20/20

Doesn't Collins two platoon?

 

Their #85 receiver who had a big game in offense also played defense today.

Their #85 receiver who had a big game in offense also played defense today.

 

Can somebody please tell me if i am wrong about what i am about to say....When Collins got the ball back with 2:33 left and they started on there own 20..why in the hell was #5 playing right up on the receiver that caught the 40 yard pass?????? No safety help, you have a 4 point lead, they have to go 80 yards and they have only one timeout and they play right on the receiver with no cushion. When I watched them line up i jumped off the couch and told my wife he is going to get beat deep..what is he doing and bam 40 yards later and 15 yard taunting and Collins was in buisness. Did anybody else notice that..if not go back and watch the tape. No way that is what the wanted defensively? thoughts?

Do not believe that hype. The wr that just ran a route sprints to the sideline for one play then sprints on the field the next play is not resting. It is a great Jedi mind trick thinking that is wearing down a db. There is no way that keeps your wr or lineman fresher than the defense, I think it wears them out more. They only play 8 so it is 4 in and 4 out, so if they were playing 10 to 12 I could see it but to me it is a myth.

 

Think about it especially if you are the wr on the opposite side of your bench.

 

That was something that I thought of seeing Highlands' platoon in place this year. Lots of running on and off the field to be added in. Would make more sense if it were for 2-4 plays at a time.

Maybe the players from Collins got tired if reading about running clocks, fan boredom and bit attending blow outs. Did they just want it more ?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.