Why did Collins defeat Highlands?

Everyone says the pressure, but I have to give some love to their DB's. There were many times when he had plenty of time to throw, but it appeared he didn't have anyone open on the quick drops. Seemed to be doing a lot of checking off. It was hard to see with the camera angles (not sure why they zoomed in when a play was happening). But the way he was having to scramble, it sure appeared he couldn't find his usual guys open. Then that caused him to miss guys by rushing passes once they line got to him.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Collins evidently just worked harder in the off season, were committed to each other, had better coaching, were not going to be denied, know how to win big games, didn't over look anyone, have better players, took their vitamins and said their prayers everyday. :D

It is really simple...they played SK to get prepared!

I do not believe this but some on here will believe it to be true and I could not resist.

Why wouldn't you believe that? Any "average" coach knows the non-district schedule is to prepare of the District and play off games. Coach Lucas is far above "average". Did he not play Simon Kenton to prepare for the playoffs? Did he not play Ballard to prepare of the playoffs?

Collins evidently just worked harder in the off season, were committed to each other, had better coaching, were not going to be denied, know how to win big games, didn't over look anyone, have better players, took their vitamins and said their prayers everyday. :D

The Hulk says Amen Brother!!

A lack of a good defense is what cost Highlands. I don't buy the flat excuse. Never have and never will. Don't you think that the RB from Highlands was giving it everything he had during the game? You know he was. IMO they could have used him more on defense.

Spot on with the flat comments. Being flat is the biggest cop out in sports. Teams getting beaten always look flat. No way any team goes into a championship game and isn't pumped up and ready.

To answer the question, Highlands lost for two reasons.

1. Offensive failure in the red zone on three occasions.

2. The defense could not get stops. It wasn't just passing. Collins was effective running the ball also. Collins had Highlands' defense on their heels all night and Highlands could not find a way to stop them.

To answer the question, Highlands lost for two reasons.

1. Offensive failure in the red zone on three occasions.

2. The defense could not get stops. It wasn't just passing. Collins was effective running the ball also. Collins had Highlands' defense on their heels all night and Highlands could not find a way to stop them.

Nailed it. Pretty much what I was going to say.

To add:

I also think the time where Houliston got popped a few times in a row seemed to rattle him. It started on the play where he was hit on a free run from the blind side and continued into the next few plays and series IMO. He eventually settled back in, but it was a turning point to me.

I will propose a thought that some may not like............Collins won today because they could put points on the Highlands defense and the Highlands offense could not put up more points on the Collins defense. Now why????? I think it happened that way because Highlands depth and strict two platoon plus system simply was not good enough to win today. Normally that system does very well as evidence see the last 6 years. I honestly believe that if Highlands could have a best two out three series with Collins that you would see a lot more Highlands players playing both offense and defense and some of the best athletes not coming off the field much.

Doesn't Collins two platoon?

That is not the point. Highlands two platoon plus system.....(watch nearly everytime a receiver catches a pass...he immediately sprints to the sidelines and is replaced). So even a Defensive Back playing one way has to go against several fresh receivers. That wears down most teams. Heck it wore Scott County down badly last year when Highlands beat them. But today Highlands needed their best players on the field more to overcome this Collins team.

Doesn't Collins two platoon?

They started too mainly after the SK lose

I will hope Collins fans can clarify this, but my understanding is that Collins does two platoon and that was the plan from the get go this season. It wasn't because of the SK loss. In fact, some speculated that Collins' new two platoon system contributed to their SK loss because they were still working out the kinks on it. I think Collins got better as the season went on and the move to two platoon football was a big part of why they got better.