Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why did Collins defeat Highlands?

Featured Replies

Hypothetically suppose that 10 random WKU students show up at the Preston Center about the same time and decide to play a pick up baseketball game. Now suppose that these students do not know each other and have never seen the others play basketball before. Now suppose that 4 of the 10 students are black. Captains are choosen to pick teams. I'd bet if we watched this situation play out randomally several times that one average the black students would be picked sooner than the white students. I think it is just human nature that the black students would be preceived to be better athletes based upon what we see on TV. But I don't think that it makes one a racist to believe that way.

  • Replies 144
  • Views 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agree. When's the last time you have heard a black kid who isn't a coach's son described as "gym rat who is like a coach on the floor and gets the most out of his abilities"?

 

Brandon Knight

MKG

Brandon Knight

MKG

 

Those are good examples, but I would tend to agree with Joker that more often than not when you hear a kid being described as a gym rat that it is referring to a white player.

I'll just put this out there. I firmly believe that on average blacks are much better athletes than whites. Does that make me racist? Like anything there are exceptions to the rule, but I believe that in this case the stereotype came to be because there is a lot of truth to it.

 

In my opinion all you have to do is pay attention to the make up of rosters within the NBA, NFL, major D1 athletics and you will see quite a bit of proof to my point. Out of all the NBA all-stars last year, David Lee and Brook Lopez were the only non-black players selected to the team.

At the same time

Baseball players are usually pretty athletic and last I checked blacks were in the minority in that sport.

 

I do understand now after reading this that many equate speed to athletic. I know of several ayers in the area that were described as athletic only because they were fast and yes they were black. They may not of been able to catch a ball etc but they could run fast and by some accounts that made them athletic.

Fast=black

 

Good=white

 

College prospect-what position and I can likely guess the skin tone

 

Other races that are good-need more info but again, depending on the adjectives I can likely guess the skin tone Quick - name another Asian professional basketball player outside of Jeremy Lin and Yao Ming

 

Whites that are athletic-freakishly athletic is usually the term that stands out to me Rex Chapman comes to mind, but there ain't many

 

Blacks that aren't athletic-possesses a high IQ

 

Blacks that aren't good-PP92

​Whites that aren't good - mcpapa
Maybe because me and PP are "athletic"

 

Fat is the new athletic.

#athleticjason

At the same time

Baseball players are usually pretty athletic and last I checked blacks were in the minority in that sport.

 

I do understand now after reading this that many equate speed to athletic. I know of several ayers in the area that were described as athletic only because they were fast and yes they were black. They may not of been able to catch a ball etc but they could run fast and by some accounts that made them athletic.

 

Some baseball players are athletic, but there are also some that are just plain fat. I wouldn't place most MLB players at the same level athletically as most NBA or NFL players

What does any of this have to do with this thread? Black and white had nothing to do with the outcome of the game, period.

Hypothetically suppose that 10 random WKU students show up at the Preston Center about the same time and decide to play a pick up baseketball game. Now suppose that these students do not know each other and have never seen the others play basketball before. Now suppose that 4 of the 10 students are black. Captains are choosen to pick teams. I'd bet if we watched this situation play out randomally several times that one average the black students would be picked sooner than the white students. I think it is just human nature that the black students would be preceived to be better athletes based upon what we see on TV. But I don't think that it makes one a racist to believe that way.

Lets take the same group of players and have them show up at an ice rink to play a pick up game of

hockey. I'd say the white boys would be picked first.

Lets even make it baseball.

 

I will just say this. It is sad that many have that perception although in more cases than not it is not a very accurate portrayal . Put it this way, I've seen many "Athletic" football and basketball and basebball teams be among the worst in the district and beaten many times by "Non Athletic" teams.

At the same time

Baseball players are usually pretty athletic and last I checked blacks were in the minority in that sport.

 

I do understand now after reading this that many equate speed to athletic. I know of several ayers in the area that were described as athletic only because they were fast and yes they were black. They may not of been able to catch a ball etc but they could run fast and by some accounts that made them athletic.

Anyone playing a pro sport is athletic. But baseball players are typically the least athletic as a group compared to the NFL and NBA. Baseball is also a game/sport that you can't necessarily get by on raw athletic ability. Being the greatest athlete ever doesn't mean you can hit a 95mph fastball 400 feet (insert Michael Jorden here).

Anyone playing a pro sport is athletic. But baseball players are typically the least athletic as a group compared to the NFL and NBA. Baseball is also a game/sport that you can't necessarily get by on raw athletic ability. Being the greatest athlete ever doesn't mean you can hit a 95mph fastball 400 feet (insert Michael Jorden here).

I will go back to what I said earlier and think when people use the term athletic in the way that is being discussed here it is just about one thing mainly and that is speed, speed and speed period.

 

Lets just look at Football for instance, NFL if you will. The majority of players in the NFL are black I believe. Lets look by position and see where the majority of black athletes play compared to white players, by position. WR's mostly black receivers...why? because of speed, not to do with catching ability, who are some of the best receivers at position in the game? Wes Welker arguably the best hands and Grokowski best TE in the league because of his hands. Look at the QB position, who are considred the best at that position and it's not because of their speed, Peyton Manning may be the sloowest to ever play the position lol. Like I said, Athletic in the way some use it has really not much too do with abiloity but more speed imo.

I will go back to what I said earlier and think when people use the term athletic in the way that is being discussed here it is just about one thing mainly and that is speed, speed and speed period.

 

Lets just look at Football for instance, NFL if you will. The majority of players in the NFL are black I believe. Lets look by position and see where the majority of black athletes play compared to white players, by position. WR's mostly black receivers...why? because of speed, not to do with catching ability, who are some of the best receivers at position in the game? Wes Welker arguably the best hands and Grokowski best TE in the league because of his hands. Look at the QB position, who are considred the best at that position and it's not because of their speed, Peyton Manning may be the sloowest to ever play the position lol. Like I said, Athletic in the way some use it has really not much too do with abiloity but more speed imo.

 

I don't think anyone thinks speed when describing basketball players as athletic however I do agree when talking about football. But to counter your argument, who is the best WR in the game today? Is it because he is super fast? What about ever? Is it because he was super fast?

I don't think anyone thinks speed when describing basketball players as athletic however I do agree when talking about football. But to counter your argument, who is the best WR in the game today? Is it because he is super fast? What about ever? Is it because he was super fast?

touche' no, it's not because they are fast.

 

 

At the same time I also don't think its because they are black. My point is each person is different. Unfortunatley we will always have stereotypes which in some cases unfortunatley leads to this kind of sstuf

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.