Historic events that you have actual memories of

All Tell

First and foremost was the JFK assassination. After that, things seemed to get out of control - MLK and Bobby Kennedy assassinations, riots all over the place, Kent State (that was a biggie for me), Agnew and Richard "I am not a crook" Nixon downfalls.

The moon landing was one big bright spot in what seemed to be a decade of craziness.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Accepting Pinto & Flounder as pledges.

Shooting the horse in the dean's office.

Food Fight

Toga Party

Double Secret Probation

Dean Wormer drops the big one

"Germans bomb Pearl Harbor" inspirational speech

Homecoming Parade

"No Prisoners!"

Life as a US Senator

I was just shy of 6 but I do remember seeing the moon landing. Obviously I didn't know the significance. Just thought it was cool.

I remember when Spiro "Nattering Nabob" Agnew resigned as VP. For some reason they brought our entire school into the gym to watch it. I was in about 4th grade sitting in the balcony with the daughter of former Reds pitcher Jim McGlothlin and being more interested in her than the resignation.

It was a beautiful spring day in 1981 when I walked out of Conner and got into my buddy Steve's Duster to head home when Q102 announced a)President Reagan had been shot and b)that Alexander Haig said "I'm in control here."

The first major news I can remember was when the first astronauts went into orbit. We had a newsletter called The Weekly Reader when I was in first grade and I remember our teacher talking about John Glenn, Allan Shepherd, and the space related news.

I also remember the presidential election of 1960. Though I was only 6 years old I recall watching the evening news with my parents (we only got two stations back then) and listening to the anchor say that the Nixon campaign was asking for a national canvass of the votes because the election was so close, both candidates getting slightly over 34 million votes. But JFK won the electoral. I didn't know what all that meant back then but I vaguely remember it.

First and foremost was the JFK assassination. After that, things seemed to get out of control - MLK and Bobby Kennedy assassinations, riots all over the place, Kent State (that was a biggie for me), Agnew and Richard "I am not a crook" Nixon downfalls.

The moon landing was one big bright spot in what seemed to be a decade of craziness.

Riots. I forgot about that...watching the Rodney King trial, and the LA riots.

Also, I was caught in the middle of the Cincinnati riots in 2001. I won't ever forget running away from an angry black mob on Court Street in Cincinnati, taking cover in an office building, and looking out of a second story window to see a hot dog vendor have his cart overturned and get handed a brief beating before the cops in riot gear arrived shortly thereafter.

I have been thinking about this thread for a while and will share only one memory because it is one of the first in my long life. World War II. 1945 / 46. I was 5. My dad was exempt because he was a rancher and milked cows. We lived in California and had many neighbors and friends of several shades of color and nationality. We traded for wine with the Italians, for bread with the Armenians and Dad worked cattle on open range with Mexicans, Blacks, Portuguese, Russians and who knows else. On our one trip to town each month we ate at a Chinese restaurant. Dad took the owner eggs and milk and one time they invited us to the back room for a family celebration. He never made bad comments about the "Okies" or "Arkies" who he said worked hard. He did say "Stay away from the Gypsies. They like to steal children" I report this because we also occasionally drove by the Japanese internment camp. Dad would swear every time. Later, I had a crush on a Japanese classmate. I never told Dad. Mom had 3 brothers serving in the Navy. She wrote letters to them every week and to their wives waiting at home. I remember Mom using sugar rationing stamps at the store. We cooked and canned our own food, so sugar was important. Listening to the news on the radio every evening after supper was also important.

My first distinct memory is 1967, Apollo 1 and the death of Gus Grissom and crew. My dad was fascinated by the space program, we watched every Apollo launch.

Same year, Ali stripped of title for refusing to enter military and Thurgood Marshall becomes a Supreme Court Justice.

My family has always been very political, so just about every major (and a lot of minor) political events since then are part of my memory.