Rap fans, if you could pick

spindoc

I don't know if I could point to one song. Would be tough, especially since I'm an album kinda guy.

If a gun were to my head, I probably would have to go with something off "Paid In Full" by Eric B and Rakim. Not the title track (although it's great), but probably something like "Move The Crowd" or "I Know You Got Soul."

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really need to give their second album a better chance. Their first one is a hip hop classic. I have always heard Aquemini was almost as good as the first if not better.

Southernplayastic, ATLiens and Aquemini are all incredible from front to back. I grew up on everything from the late 80s to early 2000s but still couldn't name a favorite that didn't come from one of those 3 albums. So many clasic lyrics about the real life struggle that will always stand the test of time...

For one song it's too hard to pick just one NWA or Eazy E song. That song was hard though.

Pales to 100 miles and runnin'. My second all time fave rap.

I was a big fan of their second album. Probably can't say the title on BGP. Hell, probably can't even say the song titles. :lol:

The correct answer with NWA has always been their one song that had zero cursewords in it -- "Express Yourself."

I'm a big fan of "100 Miles and Running" and the emotions and contextual history at play in that song. But "Express Yourself" borrows a timeless groove, and throws the smoothest stuff Dre, Ren, Ice Cube and Eazy ever did at you over top of it.

Southernplayastic, ATLiens and Aquemini are all incredible from front to back. I grew up on everything from the late 80s to early 2000s but still couldn't name a favorite that didn't come from one of those 3 albums. So many clasic lyrics about the real life struggle that will always stand the test of time...

I need a vinyl copy of "Southernplayalistic" to round out the trilogy. Gotta tip my hat to you for getting me deeper into these guys than I originally was, given that they came along at a time when I had drifted away from hip-hop.

The correct answer with NWA has always been their one song that had zero cursewords in it -- "Express Yourself."

I'm a big fan of "100 Miles and Running" and the emotions and contextual history at play in that song. But "Express Yourself" borrows a timeless groove, and throws the smoothest stuff Dre, Ren, Ice Cube and Eazy ever did at you over top of it.

Agreed. "Express Yourself" was their best overall effort. Still love when some of the old school E stuff comes up on Pandora...

Agreed. "Express Yourself" was their best overall effort. Still love when some of the old school E stuff comes up on Pandora...

Little known fact that I was one of the first people in Ky to own a copy of the original "NWA And The Posse" album, fresh out of a box of tapes my buddy's brother brought back with him from Cali in the winter of 1987. That's perhaps my best piece of street cred that I'll ever have.

Two others that would be very high on my list have already been mentioned here: Straight Outta Compton and The Humpty Dance.

I completely left the Wu-Tang out of my calculations on this because they've done so much next-level stuff I don't know how to figure it in.

I don't have the rap education to have a strong opinion, but I'll always stop my ipod on "Never Change" by Jay-Z. I think Kanye had some of his best production work on that album, and as much as people hate him he's one of the best. And of course Jay was in his prime.

Little known fact that I was one of the first people in Ky to own a copy of the original "NWA And The Posse" album, fresh out of a box of tapes my buddy's brother brought back with him from Cali in the winter of 1987. That's perhaps my best piece of street cred that I'll ever have.

PP92 confirming that "Sky's the Limit" is a great song is pretty much my only claim to street cred.

"Spottieottiedopalicious" - Outkast

Why you ask? Cause it's so freaking cool...and the horns. Give it a listen and try and tell me you don't feel a tiny bit better (even you Toots!):

Ha, isn't if funny how many great raps there are out there. You think you've got them funneled down and you realize there are a ton of them. Great track.