Rap fans, if you could pick

spindoc

OMG... breathtakingly brilliant! ... especially that break in the song where the note changes... (clear throat)... umm... oh I'm mistaken ... song never did change from that ONE note or its annoying redundancy. Y'know when you're watching "Family Guy" and Seth throws in that annoying repetitive thing he does that's overkill and over the top? Yeah... kind of like that... or a baby crying for long periods of time... or a small child saying "mommy... mommy...mommy...mommy...mommy...mommy...mommy... yeah something like that...:eek:

I see you get a kick out of being the only hater in the thread.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thread does start off Rap fans......:lol:

But I did preface my original post with: I don't hate rap, as there's definitely stuff over the years that has caught my attention with its clever word play and nice phat beats.

I believe that I gave it the minimal credit that it was due, and I certainly can be a "fan" of it when originality is displayed once in a blue moon. It's a needle in a haystack endeavor, but once in a great awhile a rap artist does show a clever original approach worthy of applause, and more than half of a listen. Some of it can be infectious enough to stick in the mind and show up on repeat in the playlist. Some... yes, most... not so much...

But I did preface my original post with: I don't hate rap, as there's definitely stuff over the years that has caught my attention with its clever word play and nice phat beats.

I believe that I gave it the minimal credit that it was due, and I certainly can be a "fan" of it when originality is displayed once in a blue moon. It's a needle in a haystack endeavor, but once in a great awhile a rap artist does show a clever original approach worthy of applause, and more than half of a listen. Some of it can be infectious enough to stick in the mind and show up on repeat in the playlist. Some... yes, most... not so much...

You just aren't listening to the right stuff. Not your fault, I'm sure... :walk:

Start with Millennium by Outkast. Then swing over to My Mind's Playin' Tricks On Me by Ghetto Boys...

Thanks for the tip. I seriously checked both tunes out with an open mind, and don't take this personally, but neither one juiced me up. They bored me. Outkast bored me the most.

If I had to pick two tunes of late, as an example, that made me take notice, the first would be Macklemore's "Same Love" and even if it didn't resonate with me in a personal way, as it does, I'd still think that it was a nicely structured tune with thought provoking words with emotion. A real keeper and a stand out that has a chance of effecting the world in a profound way.

The second tune in recent times that I've dug, I can't say the title here, but it's by Kendrick Lamar w/ Drake & A$AP dealing with "Problems". Even in it's infinite juvenile content there's something phat about it with the act right juice. It's repetitive for certain, but its hook does stick with you as it can't be avoided by it's repetitive nature, but it is phat nonetheless.

I am still very much open to any suggestion that anyone has, because when I do really dig a rap tune, I do really dig it, but it really has to stand out away from the generic pack.

Go old school and take in Steady Mobbin' by Ice Cube.

Yo Spin... I checked out Steady Mobbin'... I dug its laid back groove. I've always dug Ice Cube's vocal tone. This track is consistent with his other work. Probably because I heard it a zillion times, I'm still partial to a lot of the stuff on NWA's "Straight Outta Compton" more than anything else, but I could groove with Mobbin' more than once. Thanks.

So in reality you are just looking for a catchy beat with zero regard to the lyrical word play that defines the genre. Makes more sense now...

No... you're terribly mistaken ... please understand the context without taking in "out of context". That post wasn't too long to understand for real.