Rap fans, if you could pick

spindoc

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep coming back to this thread and every time I have a different answer.

I'm not doing well.

One hour ago, I said "to heck with it" and couldn't stop thinking about how much I used to love The Fugees "Fu-gee-la."

Right now, I can't stop listening to De La Soul tracks, especially "Me, Myself and I" and I'm about to delve back into Wu-Tang just to come back in here and tell you all about how "Winter Warz" from the first Ghostface album is the best track ever produced.

Cappadonna's verse is 2:12. It has to be one of the top 5 verses of all time. Gets me hyped everytime

Between Juicy, California Love, Gin N Juice, Gangstas Paradise(really.....really......) and now Crossroads you guys all win the Justin Bieber likes rap award. 5 of the most pop and mainstream rap songs ever.

I bet you all bought Puffy's first album, didn't you?

Point taken.

East 1999 was my first rap album. Big Bone Thugs fan here. I am still trying to put their concert on my bucket list, but seeing them now wouldn't really be the same. I did have No Way Out as well though.

I don't hate rap, as there's definitely stuff over the years that has caught my attention with its clever word play and nice phat beats. Am I a big rap fan? Not in the least as there is way too much good music from many many eras to drown my head in just one genre, and rap certainly gets pushed way down on my list.

This is coming from a guy that has been to every concert imaginable from The Sex Pistols to Tony Bennett to Sick of It all to Harry Connick Jr to The Smashing Pumpkins to the Vienna Boys Choir to Marilyn Manson to Andy Williams to Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros to Michael Crawford to The Moody Blues to Itzhak Perlman to The Jesus Lizard to Rosemary Clooney to Metallica to Julio Iglesias to Queenryche to Michael Buble to Yes to Bernadette Peters to The White Stripes to Joanna Newsom to Korn to Bootzy Collins to....

I think you get the point...these are just bouncing off the top of my head, and what I've listed barely scratches the surface.

Presently, my car radio has not left the music of the 30's and 40's for about 3 months now and thank God there's still 2 stations locally that still play the stuff. I fear that eventually it will be hard to come by on regular FM radio. There's a wealth of magnificent tunes from that era.

My personal opinion is that rap is a musical art form that has been completely beaten to death. If elements of it had shown up in music here and there, then sure, but for many rap artists it's just been a complete cop out displaying their zero talents. Some of it works, but a lot of it is just downright annoying. As a whole genre: Complete Overkill.

I'm not buying that its 30 some odd years of longevity is proof of it being "good" rather it's more proof of a culture just becoming more and more ignorant. The redundant nature of it so incredibly worn out.

With that said, I am definitely not an authority on all of the rap music that has come down the pike, and all that I can list here is some of the stuff that has tickled my ear or made me shake over the years.

Mystikal

NWA

Run DMC

Too Short

Vanilla Ice

Eminem

Snoop Dog

Tone-Loc

Just-Ice

Macklemore

Nelly

True story: I next to never yank a rap disc from my collection to pop in the car. Last time I did was the first in forever. It was October 17, 2012 and the selection was Eminem: The Eminem Show and the only reason I have it is that a girl in my building was dumping some of her collection and I took it for the heck of it. I get home and I see a blurb online that it was Eminen's 40th birthday. I just thought that was crazy and what were the chances? I should've played the lottery that day.

Impossible for me to come up with only one, but a narrowed down list that may or may not change within the next day or so (depending on what I'm feeling at the moment)

Something Pac (I'd have to narrow it down)

Biggie - Gimme The Loot

Wu Tang - CREAM

UGK - One Day

Jigga - Jigga What Jigga Who

Snoop - Murder Was The Case

I don't hate rap, as there's definitely stuff over the years that has caught my attention with its clever word play and nice phat beats. Am I a big rap fan? Not in the least as there is way too much good music from many many eras to drown my head in just one genre, and rap certainly gets pushed way down on my list.

This is coming from a guy that has been to every concert imaginable from The Sex Pistols to Tony Bennett to Sick of It all to Harry Connick Jr to The Smashing Pumpkins to the Vienna Boys Choir to Marilyn Manson to Andy Williams to Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros to Michael Crawford to The Moody Blues to Itzhak Perlman to The Jesus Lizard to Rosemary Clooney to Metallica to Julio Iglesias to Queenryche to Michael Buble to Yes to Bernadette Peters to The White Stripes to Joanna Newsom to Korn to Bootzy Collins to....

I think you get the point...these are just bouncing off the top of my head, and what I've listed barely scratches the surface.

Presently, my car radio has not left the music of the 30's and 40's for about 3 months now and thank God there's still 2 stations locally that still play the stuff. I fear that eventually it will be hard to come by on regular FM radio. There's a wealth of magnificent tunes from that era.

My personal opinion is that rap is a musical art form that has been completely beaten to death. If elements of it had shown up in music here and there, then sure, but for many rap artists it's just been a complete cop out displaying their zero talents. Some of it works, but a lot of it is just downright annoying. As a whole genre: Complete Overkill.

I'm not buying that its 30 some odd years of longevity is proof of it being "good" rather it's more proof of a culture just becoming more and more ignorant. The redundant nature of it so incredibly worn out.

With that said, I am definitely not an authority on all of the rap music that has come down the pike, and all that I can list here is some of the stuff that has tickled my ear or made me shake over the years.

Mystikal

NWA

Run DMC

Too Short

Vanilla Ice

Eminem

Snoop Dog

Tone-Loc

Just-Ice

Macklemore

Nelly

That's hilarious. Everything you feel about rap/hip hop is how I feel about all music that isn't rap/hip hop. Amazing. :thumb:

Maybe we should both practice diversity better instead insulting a culture we know absolutely about. :thumb:

That's hilarious. Everything you feel about rap/hip hop is how I feel about all music that isn't rap/hip hop. Amazing. :thumb:

Maybe we should both practice diversity better instead insulting a culture we know absolutely about. :thumb:

That's cool mate... everyone is entitled to dig what turns 'em on. Furthering the idea of diversity... one of us has already displayed, however in an admittedly uppity sorta buzz kill, sour like fashion, that he is open to an eclectic assortment of musical aesthetics, while the other ... well... I think it's clear...

What I find unfortunate about the over saturation of rap over the past 30 years is the countless missed opportunities of potential R & B and Soul artists, however challenging, to try their hand at writing solid memorable tuneage that could resonate in a way that displayed more originality with lasting melodic soundscapes. In the pre-rap era there are numerous examples of this, and I can only hope that eventually many future R & B and Soul artists soon tire of the present day stagnation, and revisit the art of song writing.

My memory is short, but the only person in more recent times that I can think of off the top of my head that has, was Michael Jackson. I thought of him more as a visionary that kept song writing alive amidst being surrounded by the deluge of the same one repetitive song being written and re-written time and again by present day generic artists.

I'm guessing that decent artists and song writers such as Lionel Richie, Marvin Gaye, Luther Vandross, Sly Stone, The Isley Brothers, The Spinners, Kool and the Gang, The Ohio Players, Barry White, James Brown, The Supremes or even the blue-eyed soul of Boz Scaggs etc... have not been forgotten. I certainly hope not, but fear that today's kids aren't getting enough exposure to that wonderful rich past.

I wish that some new artists would take the risk to step away from the pack, and try drawing attention to themselves by presenting something new, even perhaps with remnants of the past, to pick up where it was sadly left off, and shock and awe us with some originality. Time's a wasting and there's no time like the present to get it kicked off again.

As a songwriter myself, but not of an R&B sort, I see the need and would almost be willing to try my hand at it just to fill the void. That's actually a pregnant thought, now that I'm talking about it, that would certainly make this white guy stand out and maybe even quit having to play the lottery. I've actually written in the past a couple of bluesy numbers, that in my head can totally see a nice black bluesy lady with a solid dynamic voice bring to wonderful fruition. Hmmm??? ... who knows???... This thread might've ignited something in me that could spawn exciting days ahead, at least for B-Ball-fan...

Just for kicks... here's a quick little video that has always cracked me up from a fantastic British Hugh Grant film entitled "About a boy". Excellent movie if you haven't yet had the pleasure.

And then theres this classic.....

[video=youtube_share;1U3q9zgYaUA]

OMG... breathtakingly brilliant! ... especially that break in the song where the note changes... (clear throat)... umm... oh I'm mistaken ... song never did change from that ONE note or its annoying redundancy. Y'know when you're watching "Family Guy" and Seth throws in that annoying repetitive thing he does that's overkill and over the top? Yeah... kind of like that... or a baby crying for long periods of time... or a small child saying "mommy... mommy...mommy...mommy...mommy...mommy...mommy... yeah something like that...:eek: