Mike Flynn Resigns From Highlands

I'm obviously not as up on the NKY basketball scene as many here, but here's a thought that popped into my head. For those of you who are more "in the know" than I, how would you evaluate this name: Jon Jones - Gallatin County?

I say him because he's a Northern Kentucky guy at a small school who always seems to over-achieve given what he has. One of the main reasons I thought of him was that he seems to be given a limited talent pool, albeit for a different reason (Gallatin's enrollment vs. Highland's athletes playing football), but still finds a way to get it done.

Some reasons I think this could be a bad fit: Jones' players are 100% committed to playing year round, his age, his being an alum of Gallatin, etc.).

I know nothing about Jones' age, history aside from Gallatin County, etc., but just wanted to bounce the idea out there and see why it might fit (if nothing else, I could learn more about Highlands and/or Jones/Gallatin).

Again, I don't think this name is a very serious candidate, but just wondered how it would fit in a hypothetical scenario, which could tell me more about who Highlands is thinking of hiring and how that candidate would fit, etc.

I really don't see this happening. Coach Jones has carved out a niche in Warsaw, with the off year exception, his teams are always in the hunt for the district title as well as the All "A" from the 8th Region. He lives in Warsaw and is one of the more tenured coaches in the 8th Region.

I really can't see him making the trip from Warsaw to Ft. Thomas each day. He doesn't have kids in school anymore, but given his position at Gallatin County (Dean of Discipline) as well as athletic director/Varsity Basketball Coach/Tennis Coach, really don't think it would happen.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't see this happening. Coach Jones has carved out a niche in Warsaw, with the off year exception, his teams are always in the hunt for the district title as well as the All "A" from the 8th Region. He lives in Warsaw and is one of the more tenured coaches in the 8th Region.

I really can't see him making the trip from Warsaw to Ft. Thomas each day. He doesn't have kids in school anymore, but given his position at Gallatin County (Dean of Discipline) as well as athletic director/Varsity Basketball Coach/Tennis Coach, really don't think it would happen.

Makes perfect sense. Not really overly familiar with the NKY area other than what I read on here, so I didn't know if he was young, old, etc.

Won't be Hunt. Too many skeletons in his closet which I'm sure the school is aware of. Look for a dark horse on this selection.

Surely you cant be serious with this? Why would you post something like that? You must have a real vendetta against him which is sad. I will pray for you.

There will not be anything this week or next because the school system in on spring break. Open gyms start on Tuesday, so lets see how many kids show up. Those that really want to play basketball will be at these "voluntary" workouts.

Who will be running open gyms?

My money is on an outsider. Nothing against Key or other candidates but someone who isn't looking at Highlands with tainted eyes is best. Someone from Texas, Florida, or Ohio would be great.

Doubtful. My $ is on an insider.

I too will be surprised if the new coach comes from outside of N Ky.

I have second hand information about the list of applicants for the job. It contains experienced head coaches, young head coaches, experienced assistant coaches, and young assistant coaches. It contains coaches looking to change schools, coaches looking to move up at HHS, and even coaches looking to get back into the coaching arena.

The first order of business is for the mystery committee ( I say mystery because no one seems to know who is on it ) to settle on the criteria they are looking for in a head coach. Once that has been determined, they will have no problem picking a coach from this diverse group of applicants.

I too will be surprised if the new coach comes from outside of N Ky.

I have second hand information about the list of applicants for the job. It contains experienced head coaches, young head coaches, experienced assistant coaches, and young assistant coaches. It contains coaches looking to change schools, coaches looking to move up at HHS, and even coaches looking to get back into the coaching arena.

The first order of business is for the mystery committee ( I say mystery because no one seems to know who is on it ) to settle on the criteria they are looking for in a head coach. Once that has been determined, they will have no problem picking a coach from this diverse group of applicants.

Glad to hear that they have a large pool of applicants! Hopefully this is not a rubber stamp committee as it is a very important hire for the program!