Mike Flynn Resigns From Highlands

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why show up if you don't know who the coach will be?

Glad to see you answered your own question. You show up because you want to work on your game and get better. This was the common theme heard throughout the year this past season and yet here is the same vicious cycle rearing its ugly head again. Administration needs to get their act together and get a coach in place before the end of the month so that the kids that do show up can get some constructive criticism of their game. One letter winner from this past season showed up for the open gym, pitiful.

There's no acceptable reason why the guys are missing. They need to get there. Period. Or don't come out for the team next year. I'd rather have a team of 8 guys who want to play regardless of their skill level to get started.

Do the "basketball people" have to be male? From what I know, committee has been formed and the list of applicants includes a hodge podge of coaching types. I know that "open" gyms start out today and it will be interesting to see how many show up and exactly "who" shows up. IMO it is very important that those who plan on playing in the basketball program get their "fannies" to these open gyms unless they are playing baseball.

I personally think the committee should consist of former players and former administrators of the basketball program. People who understand the culture. Maybe former parents rather than current parents, but there are current parents who know a little bit about what it takes to win at Highlands. IMO, your random booster than never played basketball, has no business on a committee, if in fact they are on said committee. Just like the baseball team has improved, the basketball also has to get better. And, it doesn't have to come at the expense of other sports, especially football.

Where is "Hobie" to chime in on this subject? Where are the kids? What needs to be done in order to get them there?

Making sure the cheerleaders are practicing on the side couldn’t hurt attendance. Seriously though if you’re a basketball player and you’re not pumped up for open gym this time of year especially after this past weekend of NCAA basketball games something is wrong, I can see numbers down in the summer but not this week.

Making sure the cheerleaders are practicing on the side couldn’t hurt attendance. Seriously though if you’re a basketball player and you’re not pumped up for open gym this time of year especially after this past weekend of NCAA basketball games something is wrong, I can see numbers down in the summer but not this week.

The problem is a culture of workouts are "optional". If you want to play Varsity football, workouts are expected. The same should be for basketball. Can't expect greatness when you accept mediocrity.

The problem is a culture of workouts are "optional". If you want to play Varsity football, workouts are expected. The same should be for basketball. Can't expect greatness when you accept mediocrity.

Exactly what was discussed with Coach Flynn prior to his stepping down as the coach. These workouts are not "mandatory" but highly recommended if the basketball program would like to get back to winning ways. If the baseball program can do it, so can the basketball program without any impact to or from the football program. Picking a head coach in the very near future may very well help the cause. Whomever that person is then needs to start reaching out to the older kids in the program and express to them the importance of getting in the gym. Also need to talk to the frosh group and express the importance of them getting in the gym to compete with the older guys as that is how you get better.

The low numbers yesterday are due to a variety of reasons. Several bball guys are running track or playing baseball & I can think of at least 2 injured boys that would've been there if healthy. Also, the incoming frosh (current 8th graders) have football workouts on T/TH too. However, those same boys are currently playing an AAU session and practice 1 day a week and then have a game 1 night. They all skipped football one day last week to go to their bball game. There is allso at least 1 7th grader on that AAU team as well. The team is coached by Joel LaFrange & Mark Finfrock and if I recall this is their 3rd or 4th consecutive session. Relax folks, both Coach Hunt & Lykins were at the open gym yesterday and I am sure they offered constructive criticism as they saw fit. I do agree that a head coach being named would help increase attendance at the open gyms...

Glad to see you answered your own question. You show up because you want to work on your game and get better. This was the common theme heard throughout the year this past season and yet here is the same vicious cycle rearing its ugly head again. Administration needs to get their act together and get a coach in place before the end of the month so that the kids that do show up can get some constructive criticism of their game. One letter winner from this past season showed up for the open gym, pitiful.

Jack do you want a coach or a good coach?

Exactly one month after the old coach resigned there is a committee, a list of applicants, and a schedule for interviews. You take out spring break and this is all accomplished in three short weeks.

Constructive criticism? I think I just read that two coaches were there watching 8 guys practice. At least one of those guys is an applicant and may be the next head coach. I think that is covered.

If they didn't have a coach for another month, they could knock the dust off of those weights, do agility drills, and then roll a ball out on the floor for some pick up games and be better off for that.

We are talking open gym in April. Not even talkin bout practice.....

Patience please.

Jack do you want a coach or a good coach?

Exactly one month after the old coach resigned there is a committee, a list of applicants, and a schedule for interviews. You take out spring break and this is all accomplished in three short weeks.

Constructive criticism? I think I just read that two coaches were there watching 8 guys practice. At least one of those guys is an applicant and may be the next head coach. I think that is covered.

If they didn't have a coach for another month, they could knock the dust off of those weights, do agility drills, and then roll a ball out on the floor for some pick up games and be better off for that.

We are talking open gym in April. Not even talkin bout practice.....

Patience please.

You say there is a list of applicants and a schedule for interviews? Care to share?