Mike Flynn Resigns From Highlands

When I hear these high numbers of applicants for head coaching jobs, I wonder who all those people are. Seriously ... who are those 28 people?

You could probably guess 5-10 and then the rest WHO knows.

I wasnt given any names but it sounds like it will be a thorough process.

Schedule is already out for next yr, curious if that is etched in stone or if it will get tweaked once the new coach is hired.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Care to share team award winners?

Turner got the offensive award, highest scoring avg Witte defensive, assists, 2nd rebounds, most games played yrs in row, Houliston FT shooting, 3pt %. True had most rebounds and highest FG %. 6th Man award shared by soph Parker Harris and JR Ryan Green.

Coach Flynn made some really touching comments about everyone but especially the Srs whom he had all 4 yrs while at Highlands. He always tied his coaching in practice to a real life event or a historical event. He taughtlife lessons to the boys and stressed that at the end of the day it isnt about the wins or losses ITA about the experiences and the positive manner at which the boys brought to every practice and the work ethic

He made a great point in talking about Luke Turner's big game in a win over Scott. Ssid it wasnt the 27 points he scored that he remembered but the fact that Luke took 2 huge charges carrying 4 fouls in the last 3 min of the game. Or the honor of hearing him call Witte One of the top 5 most versatile players he's coached in 32 yrs. He just really cares about the kids and althiugh the wins and losses didnt work out I know he really enjoyed coaching those kids.

It was a very nice banquet and especial thanks to parents Jenny Turner, Paula Houliston, and Molly Buten.

I'm obviously not as up on the NKY basketball scene as many here, but here's a thought that popped into my head. For those of you who are more "in the know" than I, how would you evaluate this name: Jon Jones - Gallatin County?

I say him because he's a Northern Kentucky guy at a small school who always seems to over-achieve given what he has. One of the main reasons I thought of him was that he seems to be given a limited talent pool, albeit for a different reason (Gallatin's enrollment vs. Highland's athletes playing football), but still finds a way to get it done.

Some reasons I think this could be a bad fit: Jones' players are 100% committed to playing year round, his age, his being an alum of Gallatin, etc.).

I know nothing about Jones' age, history aside from Gallatin County, etc., but just wanted to bounce the idea out there and see why it might fit (if nothing else, I could learn more about Highlands and/or Jones/Gallatin).

Again, I don't think this name is a very serious candidate, but just wondered how it would fit in a hypothetical scenario, which could tell me more about who Highlands is thinking of hiring and how that candidate would fit, etc.

Highlands seems like a destination job in many respects. They have a great school (Blue Ribbon if I’m not mistaken), are in one of the larger population centers in Kentucky, and have a history of athletic success. Because of this, I think this job is different from many of the openings we know of now, and was wanting to open this question up generally, though any replies as to how it specifically meets what you think would be best for Highlands also readily apply.

IMAGINE that you are in charge of making the hire. Which of these would be more appealing?

An up and coming AAU coach who might be able to attract some players and/or be more in touch with today's generation and game since it seemed that Flynn's time had passed???

-- i.e., Jeff Davis and another name I’ll bring up later

An outside the box hire from outside the state/system, preferably one whose won at a lower level in a school/state where basketball wasn't necessarily the primary sport???

-- i.e., Mike Szabo of Trinity won the Class A (small school) state championship in Texas before going to Trinity.

Obviously, Texas is a football-obsessed state and Szabo's winning big there was no guarantee that he'd win in KY (there are 5 division here, and each is divided into 'small' and 'large', plus privates play in a different league, meaning there are 10+ "state champs"). But, to my knowledge, Trinity was not much of a threat in basketball before Szabo. Despite this, he’s still been able to build a program and be successful at a time when their football team has arguably improved as well; also, I would say that most would agree that football is still considered Trinity’s “sport” and/or call them a “football school”. Highlands, like Trinity, has quite a bit to offer academically, which makes it that much more appealing as a selling point to players/parents.

Hiring away a (seemingly) well-respected coach from another of the smaller programs in the NKY area???

-- i.e., Dave Faust of St. Henry

I chose Faust of St. Henry because he has a reputation of being someone whose been around the NKY basketball scene for years, who has a reputation of getting the most out of his kids and for building solid feeder programs. In an ideal situation, he or someone similar could come in and develop a “business plan”, if you will, where the primary objective was to follow a long-term strategy to build a sustainable PROGRAM (as opposed to developing successful teams). This would probably end in him then handing the reigns over to a coach in waiting after retirement. Obviously, this type of deal would require lots of coordination between the hire(s) and administration, as well as a selfless head man who’d be willing to lay the foundation and teach an apprentice who would likely get the majority of the glory.

As a side point, I don’t really know whether a hire from Ohio, especially if it were someone from the Cincinnati area, would fall more into the “outside the box” category or the “well-respected coach from the NKY area”, as there would be some overlap between the two depending on what elements each candidate would bring to the table.

Hiring internally???

-- i.e. Promoting the assistant/ex-coach/middle school coach most qualified to lead based on their existing knowledge of the program, whether it be limits that are related to talent, administration, the community as a whole, etc. or the strengths of the program and how to best maximize them while providing more stability than wiping the slate clean and brining in a new regime would otherwise do.

After reading the points made by those of you who are close to the Highlands situation, I am personally given the impression that, for the Highlands job specifically, there needs to be someone who is young, energetic, and willing to go in knowing that they are going to be second to football, yet still work to get some of the better athletes in the school out, whether they be football players or not. I think everyone would agree that a change of blood was needed in this situation, which isn’t to say Flynn was a bad coach or not knowledgeable, only that he was not the best coach to lead Highlands into 2014.

In my opinion, I would think that Highlands’ best option would be hiring someone who combined the strengths of characteristics in my options 1, 2, and 3. Let’s begin by assuming Jeff Davis is NOT available.

This may seem off-the-wall, but I think the school could hit a homerun by hiring an experienced coach familiar with the NKY area (like Dave Faust in #3) IF he and the administration were on-board with also hiring Jesse Sizemore to eventually take the reigns. Sizemore is has experience as an assistant and as coach of the Kentucky Kings (and is now doing the Nike EYBL Travellers’ team). It is HIGHLY PROBABLE that he is too green for the job at the moment given his lack of head coaching experience and familiarity with the NKY basketball landscape, but given two or more years to apprentice while someone familiar with the terrain teaches him the subtleties of being in charge of a program and indoctrinates him to the culture of basketball in Northern Kentucky, and you’ve got what looks to be a great investment when he is ready to take the reigns.

Any thoughts? I know that this likely has a .01% chance of occurring, but was just interested in what other posters might think, and again, I only say this because if I were the AD of a school opening up in NKY tomorrow, this would be my thought process and be a very strong consideration for my hypothetical choice, but any critique is welcome.

Edited by gold sunrise

Highlands seems like a destination job in many respects. They have a great school (Blue Ribbon if I’m not mistaken), are in one of the larger population centers in Kentucky, and have a history of athletic success. Because of this, I think this job is different from many of the openings we know of now, and was wanting to open this question up generally, though any replies as to how it specifically meets what you think would be best for Highlands also readily apply.

IMAGINE that you are in charge of making the hire. Which of these would be more appealing?

An up and coming AAU coach who might be able to attract some players and/or be more in touch with today's generation and game since it seemed that Flynn's time had passed???

-- i.e., Jeff Davis and another name I’ll bring up later

An outside the box hire from outside the state/system, preferably one whose won at a lower level in a school/state where basketball wasn't necessarily the primary sport???

-- i.e., Mike Szabo of Trinity won the Class A (small school) state championship in Texas before going to Trinity.

Obviously, Texas is a football-obsessed state and Szabo's winning big there was no guarantee that he'd win in KY (there are 5 division here, and each is divided into 'small' and 'large', plus privates play in a different league, meaning there are 10+ "state champs"). But, to my knowledge, Trinity was not much of a threat in basketball before Szabo. Despite this, he’s still been able to build a program and be successful at a time when their football team has arguably improved as well; also, I would say that most would agree that football is still considered Trinity’s “sport” and/or call them a “football school”. Highlands, like Trinity, has quite a bit to offer academically, which makes it that much more appealing as a selling point to players/parents.

Hiring away a (seemingly) well-respected coach from another of the smaller programs in the NKY area???

-- i.e., Dave Faust of St. Henry

I chose Faust of St. Henry because he has a reputation of being someone whose been around the NKY basketball scene for years, who has a reputation of getting the most out of his kids and for building solid feeder programs. In an ideal situation, he or someone similar could come in and develop a “business plan”, if you will, where the primary objective was to follow a long-term strategy to build a sustainable PROGRAM (as opposed to developing successful teams). This would probably end in him then handing the reigns over to a coach in waiting after retirement. Obviously, this type of deal would require lots of coordination between the hire(s) and administration, as well as a selfless head man who’d be willing to lay the foundation and teach an apprentice who would likely get the majority of the glory.

As a side point, I don’t really know whether a hire from Ohio, especially if it were someone from the Cincinnati area, would fall more into the “outside the box” category or the “well-respected coach from the NKY area”, as there would be some overlap between the two depending on what elements each candidate would bring to the table.

Hiring internally???

-- i.e. Promoting the assistant/ex-coach/middle school coach most qualified to lead based on their existing knowledge of the program, whether it be limits that are related to talent, administration, the community as a whole, etc. or the strengths of the program and how to best maximize them while providing more stability than wiping the slate clean and brining in a new regime would otherwise do.

After reading the points made by those of you who are close to the Highlands situation, I am personally given the impression that, for the Highlands job specifically, there needs to be someone who is young, energetic, and willing to go in knowing that they are going to be second to football, yet still work to get some of the better athletes in the school out, whether they be football players or not. I think everyone would agree that a change of blood was needed in this situation, which isn’t to say Flynn was a bad coach or not knowledgeable, only that he was not the best coach to lead Highlands into 2014.

In my opinion, I would think that Highlands’ best option would be hiring someone who combined the strengths of characteristics in my options 1, 2, and 3. Let’s begin by assuming Jeff Davis is NOT available.

This may seem off-the-wall, but I think the school could hit a homerun by hiring an experienced coach familiar with the NKY area (like Dave Faust in #3) IF he and the administration were on-board with also hiring Jesse Sizemore to eventually take the reigns. Sizemore is has experience as an assistant and as coach of the Kentucky Kings (and is now doing the Nike EYBL Travellers’ team). It is HIGHLY PROBABLE that he is too green for the job at the moment given his lack of head coaching experience and familiarity with the NKY basketball landscape, but given two or more years to apprentice while someone familiar with the terrain teaches him the subtleties of being in charge of a program and indoctrinates him to the culture of basketball in Northern Kentucky, and you’ve got what looks to be a great investment when he is ready to take the reigns.

Any thoughts? I know that this likely has a .01% chance of occurring, but was just interested in what other posters might think, and again, I only say this because if I were the AD of a school opening up in NKY tomorrow, this would be my thought process and be a very strong consideration for my hypothetical choice, but any critique is welcome.

Very well thoughtout post!

Turner got the offensive award, highest scoring avg Witte defensive, assists, 2nd rebounds, most games played yrs in row, Houliston FT shooting, 3pt %. True had most rebounds and highest FG %. 6th Man award shared by soph Parker Harris and JR Ryan Green.

Coach Flynn made some really touching comments about everyone but especially the Srs whom he had all 4 yrs while at Highlands. He always tied his coaching in practice to a real life event or a historical event. He taughtlife lessons to the boys and stressed that at the end of the day it isnt about the wins or losses ITA about the experiences and the positive manner at which the boys brought to every practice and the work ethic

He made a great point in talking about Luke Turner's big game in a win over Scott. Ssid it wasnt the 27 points he scored that he remembered but the fact that Luke took 2 huge charges carrying 4 fouls in the last 3 min of the game. Or the honor of hearing him call Witte One of the top 5 most versatile players he's coached in 32 yrs. He just really cares about the kids and althiugh the wins and losses didnt work out I know he really enjoyed coaching those kids.

It was a very nice banquet and especial thanks to parents Jenny Turner, Paula Houliston, and Molly Buten.

Thanks. Sounds like a great evening.Congrats to the award winners and to all of the Birds. I hope for the best for these kids. Lots of great kids and families down there that deserve nothing but the best.