Andy Dalton

SSC

You keep comparing him to those two and it is just a brutal comparison. My guess is he ends up closer to Mark Sanchez than either one of them.

Please tell me how it is a brutal comparison? I remember very well what people thought of Brees after his first two years. They said he didn't have a strong enough arm, that he made bad decisions, was not accurate, can't win with the guy. The Chargers drafted Rivers in the 1st round because they believed they couldn't win with him either after the 1st 2 years. Brees is a guy who is very similar to Dalton in size, arm strength, and even where they fell in the draft to. So not exactly sure how it is a brutal comparison, unless you feel its not fair to compare Dalton to Brees because Dalton has been better than Brees was his first two years. Yes Dalton has Green, and Brees had a hall of fame runningback to take pressure off of him and yet he still struggled early on. The comparison between the two is definitely there, and I am not saying he will be as good as Brees because Brees obviously really got it going after his first two years. However he has the potential to be a top 10 QB if he becomes more consistent.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it possible his accuracy and especially his deep ball accuracy isn't good because of his arm not being big enough? That is how I see it. I think he misses throws because of it all the time.

I will say the throw to Green that won the game Sunday was a great throw and one I didn't expect him to be able to make all that easily.

Considering his deep ball accuracy has him over throwing receivers, I don't know how it could be because of a weak arm then. People like Chad Pennington who did really have a weak arm would be underthrowing receivers not overthrowing them. So I don't think his accuracy has much to do with that, I think it comes down to what Gruden saysa about him. Which is sometimes he has a tendency to antipate throws to quickly instead of letting the play, play out. Like on that 3rd and 1 at the end of the game when he went long to Green. He made a good decision because Green ended up being open, however he rushed the throw and ended up over throwing him.

I honestly would rather Dalton under throw Green than over throw him. At least that would give Green a shot to make a play on it still.

I'll address both books here FC. He over throws guys and misses guys because his arm isn't strong enough to just make a good strong throw. He over throws guys or misses because he's adding extra to the throws losing some accuracy.

I guarantee you he's never compared historically to Brees or Montana after a decade in the league. Pennington is way and I mean way more likely. I do think he's better than him in the end, but a lot closer to that than an all timer. A little tid bit on Brees. He throws way more picks than most of the elite guys, but people give him a break.

My hope for Dalton is more like getting lucky and being almost an Eli. Not really a regular season all timer but someone who can figure out how to win big games and get hot for a month at a time

I'll address both books here FC. He over throws guys and misses guys because his arm isn't strong enough to just make a good strong throw. He over throws guys or misses because he's adding extra to the throws losing some accuracy.

I guarantee you he's never compared historically to Brees or Montana after a decade in the league. Pennington is way and I mean way more likely. I do think he's better than him in the end, but a lot closer to that than an all timer. A little tid bit on Brees. He throws way more picks than most of the elite guys, but people give him a break.

My hope for Dalton is more like getting lucky and being almost an Eli. Not really a regular season all timer but someone who can figure out how to win big games and get hot for a month at a time

You might as well stop with all the shots you usually have about my long post, because if you haven't noticed it hasn't changed how I respond.

Now as for Dalton you at least make a decent argument for why he is not as accurate on his longer throws, its one of your best arguments yet. So even though I don't completely agree with it, I can see your thinking on that. If you have noticed I have even said he probably will not end up being elite like Brees ended up being. However he has a lot of the same tools as Brees and is already better than Brees was in his first two years. Now Brees made his big jump in his third year, so we will see what happens. Shoot you even said Brees throws a lot of interceptions which is another comparison to how Andy is. I am not saying that yes Andy definitely will go out and be a top 10 QB. However I do think your wrong to act like it can't happen, because it has happened to people who are very similar to him and Brees is one of them. If he can find away to become more consistent, then yes there is a good chance people will end up seeing him as a top 10 QB eventually no matter what kind of arm he has.

I make the book comment so you know there's a really good chance I didn't read the whole thing. You hang your hat on Brees and Montana and I'll hang mine on Sanchez and Pennington. 8 years from now we'll see who was closer. I really hope you're closer than me b/c it will be a hell of a run for the Gals if you're right.

I make the book comment so you know there's a really good chance I didn't read the whole thing. You hang your hat on Brees and Montana and I'll hang mine on Sanchez and Pennington. 8 years from now we'll see who was closer. I really hope you're closer than me b/c it will be a hell of a run for the Gals if you're right.

I know its not a guarntee he will end up being a top 10 QB like those guys. However I just never understand how you can act like its impossible to, and your only reason is for his arm. When we have seen people with arms like him do very good, and one of those guys in Brees he has already been better than during the first 2 years. Its the same thinking the people gave the Bengals the last two years in thinking basically no chance these teams make the playoffs. However they had the talent to make the run, just like Dalton has the talent to eventually be a top 10 QB if he can become more consistent.

Andy Dalton - 2 years in, two Pro Bowls - weak arm and all.

Being an alternate and being voted in are two very different things.

Mark Sanchez two years in the league two AFC championship game appearances as the starter. How is he working out?

I know its not a guarntee he will end up being a top 10 QB like those guys. However I just never understand how you can act like its impossible to, and your only reason is for his arm. When we have seen people with arms like him do very good, and one of those guys in Brees he has already been better than during the first 2 years. Its the same thinking the people gave the Bengals the last two years in thinking basically no chance these teams make the playoffs. However they had the talent to make the run, just like Dalton has the talent to eventually be a top 10 QB if he can become more consistent.

Brees and Montana aren't just top 10 guys for a few years while they played. Montana is a top 10 all time QB and probably top 3-5. Brees is a top 5-10 guy for a long period of time. During his time he is also against at least two other top 5 all time guys. That's why the comparison is absolutely absurd.

Brees and Montana aren't just top 10 guys for a few years while they played. Montana is a top 10 all time QB and probably top 3-5. Brees is a top 5-10 guy for a long period of time. During his time he is also against at least two other top 5 all time guys. That's why the comparison is absolutely absurd.

No its not when your arguments against him were the same arguments against Brees after his first two years. You made up your mind on him about him only being average before he even played a game, so your trying your best to stick with it. Which you could end up being right and he always could be just average and just a game manager. I am not saying that its a guarntee that he will be a top 10 QB, like you seem to be acting like its a guarntee that there is no way he can ever be a top 10 QB. Which the whole Brees things shows how it is wrong to think like that, no one would have thought he would have become what he is back then either. Honestly if he can just learn to be more consistent that would be the only thing keeping him from being top 10 right now, so definitely possible it can happen. Thats the only reason I argue it since you make it seem like it would be impossible to happen which its not.