Andy Dalton

SSC

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sports Guy breaks down the men under center, plus Week 15 picks - Grantland

Simmons has him 21st. I can't make a case for him to be any higher. Can anyone?

Where are all those guys that were hating on me for saying he didn't have a big enough arm? He clearly doesn't.

The big enough arm as you keep pointing out has nothing to do with why he has struggled. He has a good enough arm to do very well in the NFL. However his strengths are suppose to be antipaction and accuracy, which obviously if he is not doing that well then he is not going to look good. Which he has not done that well the last two weeks and why he has not done well. Its no more no less.

Your whole point from the beginning is he doesn't have a big arm so he won't be any good. Which considering he was the first QB in history to throw for 3000 yards, 20 touchdowns and a playoff appearance in their rookie year shows otherwise. He has the team having a chance for a 2nd playoff appearance with two games ago, even though they played all these good QB's as you talked about so much last year. With the way you make him sound the Bengals should be terrible. He may never be elite, but he has what it takes to be a good QB and has shown that.

If that weak arm keeps him from being a good QB like you said, then all the guys behind him in stats must really suck.

Dalton is 5th in the NFL in TD's, 10th in the NFL in yards this year, 13th in completion percentage, and 12th in QB rating. So basically every key QB area he has done better than 2/3rds of the other NFL QB's. The one area he does need to get better at is interceptions, and that should get better through the years because of more experience. His game is based on timing, and accuracy, which he has shown his arm is plenty strong enough to do well and stats show that. He just doesn't have that wow factor, which it took even Drew Brees three years who is like him without a strong arm to develop that wow factor. He also has done all this with an Offensive Coordinator that you have made it known that you don't believe is good. So you believe he is not good because he has a weak arm as you say, he has a bad OC as you say, yet he is ranked high up there in stats with every QB, makes sense haha. Not to mention they are still winning so apparently he is doing something right.

Bengals are 5-2 on the road. While I don't love Dalton, I think that says a lot about a second year QB. He can be overly conservative at times, but the guy is a winner. He's not Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, but he's a very solid QB that's only going to get better.

I think the talk about Dalton's arm strength begin lacking is wrong. I just heard an analyst this past week say there is nothing wrong with Dalton's arm strength.

I also heard during a recent Bengals game that Dalton has never thrown an INT in the red zone. That is a good indicator of Dalton's strength as QB. He is a good decision maker.

My one knock on Dalton this year is his accuracy. He seems to be less accurate this season.

So nobody could make a case for him being higher than 21? Seems right.

Everyone knows if he had a bigger arm there is no way he would have fell to them where he did right? He's an average QB that has a chance to be above average bc of scheme and AJ Green. No more no less

Bengals are 5-2 on the road. While I don't love Dalton, I think that says a lot about a second year QB. He can be overly conservative at times, but the guy is a winner. He's not Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, but he's a very solid QB that's only going to get better.

My point is an has been that for the Gals to win big they need a Brady or Manning b/c Marvin Lewis is terrible and Mike Brown is terrible. Dalton is fine but not good enough to make up for the rest if the idiots.

Everyone knows if he had a bigger arm there is no way he would have fell to them where he did right? He's an average QB that has a chance to be above average bc of scheme and AJ Green. No more no less

The top 5 or 6 on that list are clearly better. The rest of them I can make pros and cons arguments that I would rather have Dalton. Dalton is currently ranked #9 QB in fantasy football. Pro football weekly has Dalton at #10. So there are some experts that have Dalton higher than 21. As for stats, Dalton's QB rating is #12, total yards #10, TD passes #5. I say he is better than 21. Based on all that, I find it hard for anyone to say he shouldn't be higher on your grantland list. I see Dalton as another Drew Brees. As his career moves forward, he will get better and better.

I could easily make a case for him. I thought posting his stats is a good enough case, but I forgot stats don't matter to you. You have your opinion and that is well he fell to the 2nd round so he is just average. Just like the whole stats thing about the Bengals defense meant nothing to you. Which they are showing you wrong too once again. The main reason he is #21 on that list is because he doesn't have a wow factor, he just goes about his business. That wow factor can come though through the years just like it did with Brees.

Yes your right he fell to the 2nd round, but I bet you those teams who took other QB's in front of him would have drafted him instead now. As people have said he has shown his arm strength is better than thought and good enough for the league. Your whole little obsession about well he fell to the 2nd round shows he is average. You do realize Drew Brees fell all the way until then because there were questions about him. Shoot one of the best QB's of all time in Tom Brady fell all the way to the 6th round which shows there were tons of questions about how he would do. Where someone was drafted means nothing, its what they do with the opportunity, and Dalton has done very well in his 1st two years and should only get better.

He's average b/c his arm isn't strong. He fell b/c of his arm. I'm not saying he's average b/c of the fall. Spouting off stats isn't saying he's better than someone. Who in front of him would a team rather have Dalton than?

He's average b/c his arm isn't strong. He fell b/c of his arm. I'm not saying he's average b/c of the fall. Spouting off stats isn't saying he's better than someone. Who in front of him would a team rather have Dalton than?

Ok so I guess Brees, Montana, etc were all just average too? Both those guys depend on the same thing he does which is timing and accuracy not arm strength. So your whole he is average because of arm strength really does not work, especially since he is being successful. Your really the only one who can't get past arm strength. Your thinking seems to be well teams passed on him because of concerns of arm strength, so that means he will always be average. Yet most of these NFL people have even admitted that his arm strength was better than they realized it was. Yes he does not have a rocket arm, but he does not have Chad Pennington's arm either. His arm is very compareable to the people that have been mentioned with him. Now will he ever be as good as those guys? Who knows that is a long time away, but he has started his career rather nicely and even better than a guy who he compares to in Brees.

What makes a QB is not just arm strength. We have seen plenty of guys with huge arms who couldn't be accurate with that strong arm, can't read defenses, etc. If Dalton can develop to be consistent with his timing and accuracy he will have a great career, and honestly no reason for people not to think that won't happen with what he has done his first two years.

I'm not saying every QB with an average arm can't be good. Just that Dalton isn't that good and part of the reason is arm strength. In the 4 books you wrote on here you haven't named 1 QB ranked ahead of Dalton you would take Dalton over. He's 21st on that list. That's pretty telling that he's average or below average to me.