Manziel wins Heisman

HT721

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think a freshmen should win it, it leaves too much room for them to be a 1 hit wonder, plus I think you should put your time in like others have. Te'o should have won, he is undefeated, playing for National Championship, missed Mamaws and girlfriends funeral to stay with the team and play. Now there is dedication and leadership and a role model.

I don't think a freshmen should win it, it leaves too much room for them to be a 1 hit wonder, plus I think you should put your time in like others have. Te'o should have won, he is undefeated, playing for National Championship, missed Mamaws and girlfriends funeral to stay with the team and play. Now there is dedication and leadership and a role model.

No one should be judged if they chose to skip a GAME over a funereal. It shows nothing either way about him that he did, the fact that you would even insinuate anyone that did the opposite would be wrong is disgusting. Also, what about someone who was an average back up for 2 or 3 years then has a hot year on a good team and wins the Heisman, how is that different than a Freshman winning? The fact that Notre Dame is getting away with a Penn State coverup also levels it even further that no one involved with Notre Dame or Brian Kelly deserves a thing right now.

It is an award for the best college football player THIS YEAR, not in the future, not in the past, not for a career. This year period. Doesn't matter what grade he is in.

Yes he may never match it again, but he was the best player this year.

Suh was much more of an impact player. If he didn't win it I can't imagine anyone else doing it from the D side.

I would go even more "old school." If Hugh Green couldn't be named over George Rogers in 1980 then a defense only player will never get the award.

I think Te'o deserved it. A defensive only player will never ever win, clearly.

Manziel broke every record set by Newton and Tebow and then some, as a freshman. He is every bit as deserving as anyone else.
As an Irish fan and a Manti Te'o fan, I have no problem with Manziel winning the Heisman. He had a phenomenal year, congrats to the young man.

Suh was much more of an impact player. If he didn't win it I can't imagine anyone else doing it from the D side.

I agree. I don't think a defensive only player can win. Te'o arguably had a better year last year and wasn't even mentioned. Being on an undefeated team was obviously a big factor. What would it take for a defensive player to win? What stats would win votes?

I agree. I don't think a defensive only player can win. Te'o arguably had a better year last year and wasn't even mentioned. Being on an undefeated team was obviously a big factor. What would it take for a defensive player to win? What stats would win votes?

Maybe some interception returns for touchdown, undefeated team, and a lot of average offensive players. If Manziel hadn't broken so many records this year then Meo would have been a lock.

It is an award for the best college football player THIS YEAR, not in the future, not in the past, not for a career. This year period. Doesn't matter what grade he is in.

Yes he may never match it again, but he was the best player this year.

So are you saying Teo wasn't good this year?

Offense is just for show, def wins games and championships.

I definitely think it is possible. A lot of variables have to fall in place for a defensive player to win though. For starters, the other members of the field cannot be strong candidates and must have a loss or two. A prime time moment or two, especially in the final week weighs heavily with voters. It is the main reason Ndamukong Suh was invited a few years back in a similar type field. The fact of the matter is the award is heavily slanted, unfairly to an offensive player... really the QB. 11 of the past 13 winners have been a QB. I do not buy much in to all the records that Manziel broke within the SEC. Overblown for a couple of reasons. 1st, teams now play 2-3 more games when comparing through history, so he is really only going up against a few years worth of players. It is not coincidence he surpassed Cam Newton from two seasons ago who two seasons earlier broke the records of Tebow, etc... In watching all three I would rate their seasons as Cam, Tebow, and Manziel would be way behind them regardless of what the numbers say. I just go by the eye test. Manziel's big moment came against Alabama in the first half of that game. If you watched the other two big games against Florida and LSU, he had some decent moments, but was bottled up the majority of those two games.

I definitely think it is possible. A lot of variables have to fall in place for a defensive player to win though. For starters, the other members of the field cannot be strong candidates and must have a loss or two. A prime time moment or two, especially in the final week weighs heavily with voters. It is the main reason Ndamukong Suh was invited a few years back in a similar type field. The fact of the matter is the award is heavily slanted, unfairly to an offensive player... really the QB. 11 of the past 13 winners have been a QB. I do not buy much in to all the records that Manziel broke within the SEC. Overblown for a couple of reasons. 1st, teams now play 2-3 more games when comparing through history, so he is really only going up against a few years worth of players. It is not coincidence he surpassed Cam Newton from two seasons ago who two seasons earlier broke the records of Tebow, etc... In watching all three I would rate their seasons as Cam, Tebow, and Manziel would be way behind them regardless of what the numbers say. I just go by the eye test. Manziel's big moment came against Alabama in the first half of that game. If you watched the other two big games against Florida and LSU, he had some decent moments, but was bottled up the majority of those two games.

He played one game less than both Newton and Tebow, they had SEC championship game stats in those seasons.